A cylinder rolls without slipping- find the angle

In summary, the problem is to find the maximum angle for a cylinder with radius R and mass M to roll without slipping down an incline plane with angle θ and a coefficient of friction μ. Using conservation of energy, the equation for the x-component of force, and the equation for the y-component of force, the minimum angle can be found by considering the maximum value of static friction and correcting a mistake in the y-component of force equation.
vballgurl154

Homework Statement

A cylinder with radius R and mass M rolls without slipping down an incline plane with angle[tex]\theta[/tex]. The coeff. of friction is [tex]\mu[/tex]. Find the maximum value for the angle for the cylinder to roll without slipping.

Homework Equations

The moment of inertia for a cylinder is I=(MR^2)/2.
w=v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

If the cylinder rolls without slipping, energy must be conserved. So Mgh=1/2Mv^2+1/2Iw^2. If you plug in the equations from above and divide all terms by M, gh=3/4v^2.
So we need to find v.
The equation for the x-component of force (where x is along the plane of the incline), F=mg(cos[tex]\theta[/tex]-[tex]\mu[/tex])=ma
and the y-component
F=0=N-mgsin[tex]\theta[/tex] or N=mgsin[tex]\theta[/tex]

I have no idea where to go from here and I'm not quite sure I did all of this right. Thank you so much for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should think when you will have the minimum value of angle.When you have the maximum of static friction.Also i think you have a mistake.In the direction of the slope the forces are Wy=mgsinθ and T<=μN

Also N=mgcosθ not mgsinθ

Related to A cylinder rolls without slipping- find the angle

1. How do you define "rolling without slipping" for a cylinder?

"Rolling without slipping" means that the cylinder is both rotating and moving in a straight line without any slipping between its surface and the surface it is rolling on. In other words, the point of contact between the cylinder and the surface is instantaneously at rest.

2. What is the formula for finding the angle of a cylinder rolling without slipping?

The formula for finding the angle of a cylinder rolling without slipping is θ = tan-1(v/r), where θ is the angle, v is the linear velocity, and r is the radius of the cylinder.

3. Does the mass or weight of the cylinder affect the angle of rolling without slipping?

No, the mass or weight of the cylinder does not affect the angle of rolling without slipping. The angle is determined by the linear velocity and radius of the cylinder.

4. Can a cylinder ever roll without slipping on a rough surface?

Yes, a cylinder can roll without slipping on a rough surface as long as the coefficient of friction between the cylinder and the surface is high enough to prevent slipping.

5. How does the angle of rolling without slipping affect the cylinder's motion?

The angle of rolling without slipping affects the speed and direction of the cylinder's motion. A larger angle will result in a faster linear velocity, while a smaller angle will result in a slower linear velocity. The direction of motion will also be affected by the angle, as the cylinder will move in the direction of the angle.