Find P Such That P^-1AP=B: Similar Matricies

• Thread starter dangish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matricies
In summary, the conversation discusses finding if two matrices, A and B, are similar by checking if they have the same determinant or by comparing their eigenvalues and eigenvectors. The second method is more accurate, as two matrices with the same determinant may not necessarily be similar. To find P such that P^-1AP=B, one must find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of A and B.
dangish
1a) First find if A and B are similar (ie: A~B).
b) If so find P such that P(^-1)AP=B. (P^-1 is the inverse of P)

Ok so I'm not going to give the matricies because I don't know how to write them out properly on this and It doesn't really matter anyways.

First I found if A and B were similar, which to the best of my knowledge has to do with the determinant. ie: If the determinant of A and B are equal then A~B, is this correct?

Since I found they were similar, I went on to part b and this is where I am stuck. I have looked through all my notes and the book notes and none of them seem to ever solve for p, they just get to a certian point in the problem and write out, "therefore P(^-1)AP=B" and it makes no sense to me.

Some advice on a method to go about finiding P would be much appreciated, it's exam time! Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is not correct. For example, the matricies
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}2 & 1 \\ 0 & 2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}2 & 0 \\ 0 & 2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
have the same determinant (4) but are not similar.

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}8 & 0 \\ 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}6 & 0 \\ 0 & 4\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
have the same determinant but are not similar.

What is true is is the other way- if two matrices are similar, then they have the same determinant.

Two matricies that have the same eigenvalue and same corresponding eigenvectors are similar.

So when given two matricies, the only way to tell if they are similar is to check their eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

I found they have the same characteristic polynomials, do I need to continue to find if they have the same eigenvectors?

Yes. Again,
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}2 & 1 \\ 0 & 2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}2 & 0 \\ 0 & 2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
have the same characteristic polynomial, [itex](\lambda- 2)^2[/itex],
but are not similar.

(They NOT have the same minimal polynomial, [itex](\lambda- 2)^2[/itex] for the first and [itex]\lambda- 2[/itex] for the second.)

Related to Find P Such That P^-1AP=B: Similar Matricies

What is the definition of similar matrices?

Similar matrices are matrices that have the same size and shape, and can be transformed into one another by a change of basis. This means that they represent the same linear transformation, but their individual elements may differ.

What is the importance of finding P such that P^-1AP=B?

Finding P such that P^-1AP=B is important because it allows us to simplify the process of solving systems of linear equations. By transforming the matrix A into a similar matrix B, we can easily find solutions to the system of equations represented by A.

How do I find P such that P^-1AP=B?

To find P such that P^-1AP=B, we can use the diagonalization method. This involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of matrix A, and using them to create the diagonal matrix D. Then, we can use the eigenvectors to create the transformation matrix P. The resulting matrix P^-1AP will be similar to B.

Can similar matrices have different determinants?

Yes, similar matrices can have different determinants. The determinant of a matrix is a measure of its scaling effect on the space it operates on. Since similar matrices represent the same linear transformation, they may have different scaling effects, resulting in different determinants.

Is there a limit to the number of matrices that are similar to a given matrix?

No, there is no limit to the number of matrices that are similar to a given matrix. Any matrix with the same size and shape can potentially be transformed into a similar matrix, as long as the transformation matrix P exists. Therefore, there are infinitely many matrices that can be similar to a given matrix.