Solving Similar Matricies: Find Real Invertible 2x2 Matrix Q

• Thread starter samkolb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matricies
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a real invertible 2x2 matrix Q such that B = [Q^(-1)]AQ, given A and B are 2x2 real matrices and there exists an invertible complex 2x2 matrix P such that B = [P^(-1)]AP. The conversation also mentions the properties that A and B share as similar complex matrices, such as the same trace, determinant, characteristic equation, and eigenvalues. Possible solutions to find Q include taking the "real part" of P or triangularizing A and B, but it is uncertain whether P* is real.
samkolb

Homework Statement

Let A and B be 2x2 real matricies, and suppose there exists an invertible complex 2x2 matrix P such that B = [P^(-1)]AP.

Show that there exists a real invertible 2x2 matrix Q such that B = [Q^(-1)]AQ.

Homework Equations

A and B are similar when thought of as complex matricies, so they represent the same linear transformation on C2 for appropriately chosen bases, and share many other properties:

same trace, same determinant, same characteristic equation , same eigenvalues.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I take Q = (1/2)(P + P bar) (the "real part" of P),
then I can show QB = AQ, and so B = [Q^(-1)]AQ if Q is invertible, but this Q may not be invertible.

I also noticed that each of A and B may be triangularized (since each of A and B has an eigenvalue), but I don't know where to go from there...

Physics news on Phys.org
does it help to know as A & B are real, then:
[tex] B* = B [/tex]
[tex] A* = A[/tex]

which gives
[tex]B = (P^{-1})^*AP^* = P^{-1}AP [/tex]

I don't know if this helps, since P* may not be real.

Related to Solving Similar Matricies: Find Real Invertible 2x2 Matrix Q

1. What is the purpose of solving similar matrices?

The purpose of solving similar matrices is to determine if two matrices are related by a similarity transformation, which means they have the same eigenvalues and eigenvectors. This can provide valuable insights into the properties and behavior of both matrices.

2. How do I find a real invertible 2x2 matrix Q?

To find a real invertible 2x2 matrix Q, you can use the formula Q = PDP-1, where P is the matrix of eigenvectors and D is the diagonal matrix of eigenvalues. Alternatively, you can use row operations to reduce a given matrix to the identity matrix, and the elementary matrices used in the reduction will form Q.

3. What are the properties of similar matrices?

Similar matrices have the same rank, determinant, trace, eigenvalues, and eigenvectors. They also have the same characteristic polynomial and minimal polynomial.

4. Can similar matrices be used to solve systems of equations?

Yes, similar matrices can be used to solve systems of equations. By transforming a system of equations into a matrix form, and then finding the similar matrix, you can easily solve for the variables.

5. Can similar matrices be used to simplify calculations?

Yes, similar matrices can be used to simplify calculations. By transforming a matrix into a similar matrix, you can take advantage of the properties of similar matrices, such as having the same eigenvalues and eigenvectors, to make calculations easier and more efficient.