Find force and coefficient of friction between 2 stacked blocks in motion

In summary, the homework problem involves two blocks with roughened surfaces to prevent sliding when a 30N force is applied to the bottom block. The task is to find the force of friction between the two blocks and the minimum coefficient of friction needed for the top block to not move. The relevant equations are Fnet = ma, muK = Fk/Fn, and mu s = Fs,max/Fn. The first step is to find the acceleration of the system, which is 2 m/s². It is then necessary to determine the Fn of the 5kg block and use it to find Fk and plug it into muK = Fk/Fn. It is also possible to find the accelerations of the blocks separately
gabemarkus

Homework Statement

Untitled2.png

The surfaces of two blocks are roughened so that they do not slide against each other when a force of 30N is applied to the bottom block. 1.Find the force of friction between the two blocks. 2. Find the minimum coefficient of friction needed between the two blocks so that the top block does not move.

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
muK = Fk/Fn
mu s = Fs,max/Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the acceleration of the two block system, which is 2 m/s². I'm wondering if you have to find the Fn of the 5kg block then act as if it was moving 2m/s² by itself over the 10kg block then determine Fk from that and plug it into muK = Fk/Fn. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Or, do you have to find the accelerations of the blocks separately at first?

gabemarkus said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 73930
The surfaces of two blocks are roughened so that they do not slide against each other when a force of 30N is applied to the bottom block. 1.Find the force of friction between the two blocks. 2. Find the minimum coefficient of friction needed between the two blocks so that the top block does not move.

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
muK = Fk/Fn
mu s = Fs,max/Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the acceleration of the two block system, which is 2 m/s². I'm wondering if you have to find the Fn of the 5kg block then act as if it was moving 2m/s² by itself over the 10kg block then determine Fk from that and plug it into muK = Fk/Fn. Thanks for any help!
Finding the acceleration of the system was the right first step. (I assume there's no friction between the lower block and the ground.) I'm not sure what you are suggesting as the next step. Why not apply it and post the working that results? That will be a lot clearer.

Related to Find force and coefficient of friction between 2 stacked blocks in motion

What is the formula for finding force and coefficient of friction between 2 stacked blocks in motion?

The formula for finding the force and coefficient of friction between 2 stacked blocks in motion is F = μN, where F is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

How do you determine the normal force in this scenario?

The normal force can be determined by finding the weight of the top block and adding it to the weight of the bottom block. This will give you the total weight of both blocks, which is equal to the normal force acting on the bottom block.

What factors can affect the coefficient of friction between the blocks?

The coefficient of friction between the blocks can be affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and any lubricants or materials placed between the blocks.

Is the coefficient of friction a constant value?

No, the coefficient of friction is not a constant value. It can vary depending on the factors mentioned above and can also change with the velocity of the blocks.

How can the force between the blocks be calculated if the coefficient of friction is not known?

If the coefficient of friction is not known, the force between the blocks can be calculated by using the formula F = μN and solving for the coefficient of friction. This can be done by measuring the normal force and the frictional force and then rearranging the formula to solve for μ.