Find Equilibrium Readings of Scale: Beaker & Oil + Iron Block

In summary, a 1-kg beaker containing 2 kg of oil (density = 916 kg/m^3) is on a scale, while a 2kg block of iron is suspended from a spring scale and submerged in the oil. To find the equilibrium readings of both scales, the weight of the beaker and oil (29.4 N) can be calculated, but the weight of the iron block is unknown. Buoyancy force and the reaction force acting on the liquid are key factors in determining the weight of the iron block. Further help is needed to calculate the readings on both scales.
jesuslovesu
A 1-kg beaker containing 2 kg of oil(density = 916 kg/m^3) rests on a scale. A 2kg block of iron is suspended from a spring scale and completely submerged in the oil. Find the equilibruim readings of both scales.

For the bottom scale, I can find the weight, 29.4 N of the beaker and oil, but I'm not sure how to calculate how much weight the iron block contributes. I know buoyancy force = p*V*g but how would affect the weight on the scale?

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: If the liquid pushes up (buoyant force) on the iron what is the reaction force acting on the liquid?

any more help? I am working with my daughter trying to solve this.

So one more cry for help. How do I calculate the reading on the lower and upper scale given what I know in the problem stated above?

Thanks!

Related to Find Equilibrium Readings of Scale: Beaker & Oil + Iron Block

1. What is the purpose of finding equilibrium readings of a scale with a beaker, oil, and iron block?

The purpose of finding equilibrium readings of a scale is to determine the balance point or equilibrium point of an object or system. In this case, the beaker, oil, and iron block are being used to demonstrate the concept of equilibrium.

2. How do you set up the experiment to find equilibrium readings?

To set up the experiment, first, place the empty beaker on one side of the scale, and the iron block on the other side, making sure the scale is balanced. Then add the oil to the beaker, and observe any changes in the scale readings. Adjust the amount of oil until the scale is balanced again.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium readings in this experiment?

There are several factors that may affect the equilibrium readings in this experiment. These include the amount of oil added to the beaker, the type of oil used, the temperature of the oil, and the size and weight of the iron block.

4. How do you know when you have found the equilibrium readings?

You know when you have found the equilibrium readings when the scale is balanced, and there is no movement or change in the scale readings when the beaker, oil, or iron block is disturbed. This indicates that the forces acting on the objects are in equilibrium.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding equilibrium readings?

Finding equilibrium readings is important in various fields of science and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of physical systems, such as in physics and chemistry experiments. It is also crucial in designing structures, such as bridges and buildings, to ensure they are structurally stable and in equilibrium. Additionally, it is used in fields like economics and biology to analyze and understand the dynamics of complex systems.