Density of Liquid: 1667.7kg/m^3 | Solving Buoyancy Q.

• Thread starter erisedk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of buoyancy and how it affects the readings on the spring balance in a system where a block is submerged in a liquid contained in a beaker. The weight of the beaker and the liquid are given, along with the readings on the spring balance. The volume of the block is also provided. The conversation also touches on the understanding of action-reaction forces and how they can be considered as internal or external forces depending on the chosen system.
erisedk

Homework Statement

Block A in the figure hangs from a spring balance D and is submerged in a liquid C contained in a beaker B. The weight of beaker is 1 kg, and the weight of the liquid is 1.5kg. The balance D reads 2.5 kg and balance E reads 7.5 kg. The volume of the block is 0.003 m^3.

What is the density of the liquid?
Ans: 1667.7kg/m^3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do the problem, and I got the right answer, but I don't understand what's going on.
So here's what I did,
Reading of E = Weight of container + Weight of liquid + Force of Buoyancy
75 = 25 + (0.003)(10)P
P= 1667.7

I don't get why reading of E isn't just (Weight of container + Weight of liquid + Weight of block A)? Why are we considering the buoyancy? If you say that the liquid exerts a buoyant force on the block, and due to Newton's third law, the block also exerts a buoyant force on the liquid (and so we consider buoyancy), aren't both these forces internal (and action- reaction pairs), so the net effect of buoyant force is zero?

Attachments

• IMG_20150123_101849.jpg
    IMG_20150123_101849.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 542
Physics news on Phys.org
erisedk said:
I don't get why reading of E isn't just (Weight of container + Weight of liquid + Weight of block A)?
Some of the weight of block A is being supported by the spring so that won't work.

erisedk said:
Why are we considering the buoyancy? If you say that the liquid exerts a buoyant force on the block, and due to Newton's third law, the block also exerts a buoyant force on the liquid (and so we consider buoyancy), aren't both these forces internal (and action- reaction pairs), so the net effect of buoyant force is zero?
The net effect of the buoyant force on the entire system is zero, but the buoyant force "redistributes" the weight that is supported by D and E. The buoyant force lightens the load on the spring (the spring only has to support the weight of block A minus the buoyant force) and by doing so it exerts a little more force on balance D

When I say "the net effect of the buoyant force on the entire system is zero," I basically mean that the sum of the readings of D and E will not change if you have liquids of different density (as long as the liquid is always 1.5kg and so on). That is because, as you said, buoyancy is an internal force. But "internal" for the entire system is not necessarily "internal" for different parts of the system.

Likes erisedk
Action-reaction forces can be considered as internal forces that cancel one another only if both of the two object involved in the action-reaction pair are part of your chosen system. You can choose your system in different ways. In the attachment the figure on the left shows the "system" as consisting of just the beaker and the water. The block is not part of this system. Here, the block is an external object which exerts a downward (external) force on the system, shown as BF. The weight of the block is not a force acting on this system. The force labeled N is the force which the bottom scale pushes up on the system.

In the right figure, the system is the beaker, the water, and the block. Now, the action-reaction buoyant forces between the block and the water are internal forces that cancel. So, they are not shown. The weight of the block is now an external force on the system as well as the tension force, T, pulling up on the top of the block.

Attachments

• Buoyant Force Problem.png
    Buoyant Force Problem.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,889
TSny said:
Action-reaction forces can be considered as internal forces that cancel one another only if both of the two object involved in the action-reaction pair are part of your chosen system. You can choose your system in different ways. In the attachment the figure on the left shows the "system" as consisting of just the beaker and the water. The block is not part of this system. Here, the block is an external object which exerts a downward (external) force on the system, shown as BF. The weight of the block is not a force acting on this system. The force labeled N is the force which the bottom scale pushes up on the system.

In the right figure, the system is the beaker, the water, and the block. Now, the action-reaction buoyant forces between the block and the water are internal forces that cancel. So, they are not shown. The weight of the block is now an external force on the system as well as the tension force, T, pulling up on the top of the block.

In the first figure, when the block is not a part of the system, why are we discriminating between the forces applied by the block that we consider? Why do we just consider the force BF and not Mg?
In the second figure, can't we calculate Tension as Mg-BF?

erisedk said:
In the first figure, when the block is not a part of the system, why are we discriminating between the forces applied by the block that we consider? Why do we just consider the force BF and not Mg?
You have a choice.
You can say, I know the interaction between the block and the fluid is the buoyancy force, so I can split the system at that boundary. When considering the fluid, beaker and items below I can represent the upper items by a downward force with the magnitude of BF. When considering the upper parts, I can replace all the lower parts by the BF.
Or you split the system just below balance D, say. Now you don't care about the BF because that's internal to the lower part, and you treat the upward pull from D as an external force on that lower part.
Or you could split at both boundaries, etc.

haruspex said:
You have a choice.
You can say, I know the interaction between the block and the fluid is the buoyancy force, so I can split the system at that boundary. When considering the fluid, beaker and items below I can represent the upper items by a downward force with the magnitude of BF. When considering the upper parts, I can replace all the lower parts by the BF.
Or you split the system just below balance D, say. Now you don't care about the BF because that's internal to the lower part, and you treat the upward pull from D as an external force on that lower part.
Or you could split at both boundaries, etc.

I don't exactly understand what you're saying, could you tell me the following
erisedk said:

erisedk said:
when the block is not a part of the system, why are we discriminating between the forces applied by the block that we consider? Why do we just consider the force BF and not Mg?
The block does not exert Mg on the fluid. Mg is a force exerted on the block, as is the tension in D. The fluid knows only of the direct forces exerted by the block at the common surface, i.e. pressure. In principle, you could integrate the pressure over the common surface to find the net force, but we can just wrap it up with the name BF and calculate it in other ways.
erisedk said:
Which figure, which post?

TSny said:

The figure from this post, which is the second post.

erisedk said:
TSny's second picture illustrates taking block, fluid and beaker as a single system. In so doing, one is choosing to ignore all internal forces, such as BF, because they cancel out. If you want to consider the BF then you must separate the block and fluid into different systems or parts of different systems, so that the BF becomes a force between two systems. Indeed, in calculating tension as Mg-BF that is exactly what you are doing - extracting the block as a system and considering all the forces acting on that system.

What is density and how is it related to liquids?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume of a substance. In the case of liquids, density is typically measured in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3). It is related to liquids because the density of a liquid determines its buoyancy and how it will behave in relation to other objects in that liquid.

How is the density of a liquid calculated?

The density of a liquid can be calculated by dividing its mass by its volume. For example, if we know that a certain liquid has a mass of 1667.7kg and occupies a volume of 1 cubic meter (m^3), then its density would be 1667.7kg/m^3.

What is the significance of the density of a liquid being 1667.7kg/m^3?

The density of a liquid being 1667.7kg/m^3 is significant because it is a commonly used unit of measurement for liquids. It is also the density of water at its maximum density, which occurs at a temperature of 4 degrees Celsius. This means that most liquids will have a lower density than water at this temperature and will float on top of it.

How does the density of a liquid affect buoyancy?

The density of a liquid plays a major role in determining buoyancy. Objects with a lower density than the liquid they are placed in will float, while objects with a higher density will sink. This is due to the principle of buoyancy, where an object will experience an upward force equal to the weight of the liquid it displaces.

How can the density of a liquid be used to solve buoyancy problems?

To solve buoyancy problems, the density of the liquid and the objects involved must be known. The density of the liquid is used to determine the buoyant force acting on the object, while the density of the object is used to calculate its weight. By comparing these two values, we can determine if the object will float or sink in the liquid.