Final round of questions about Green's Thm

• Thread starter Calpalned
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Final
In summary, the conversation covers the use of Green's theorem, the applicability of the Fundamental Theorem for Line Integrals, the difference between a line integral and a vector field, and the definitions of closed, simple, and conservative regions and vector fields. The conversation also includes pictures of the textbook to provide further context.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

*Questions 3, 5 and 6 have already been answered.
1) On page 1091, am I right to assume that example 4 could be solved using Green's Theorem?
2) How about for example 6, on page 1093, or would we need a higher dimensional analog?
3) What is the meaning of ""ds" in example 1 of page 1064? How is ds related to dx and dy? Intuitively, what is the difference between example 1 and example 4?
4) Does the Fundamental Theorem for Line Integrals only work for vector fields? If so, should I automatically use the Fund Thm of Line Integrals for vector fields?
5) The only difference between a line integral and a vector field is the use of ##\vec i## and ##\vec j## in place of dx and dy. Is ##\int_C F \cdot dr ## a line integral, or is it a vector? If it's a vector, is it a field or a function?
6) When solving a line integral, how do I know when to use Green's Thm, the Fund Thm of Lne int, or the classic method of using parameters? Would I be told what to do on the exam?
7) On page 1082, question 15 is conservative. Solving using the Fund Thm of Line Int gives 77. Using Green's theorem, the answer is zero. Why is there a difference?

8) Why is example 4 of page 1112 "not simple" while exercise 10 of page ##1090## is?
9) What is the difference between "closed" "simple" and "conservative"?

2. Pictures of my textbook
Attached

1091.png
1093.png
1112.png
1114.png

Click to enlarge the above: 1091, 1093, 1112, 1114

The Attempt at a Solution

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) As long as you follow the criterion of Green's theorem, it can be used. Sometimes it's just easier to evaluate the line integral directly though.

2) I'm almost certain I mentioned to you in a prior thread you can only apply Green's theorem in two-dimensions.

4) The fundamental theorem for line integrals is only applicable for a conservative vector field ##\vec F = \vec{\nabla f}##.

5) ##\oint_C \vec F \cdot d \vec r## is the line integral of a vector field. With ##\vec r(t) = x(t) \hat i + y(t) \hat j + z(t) \hat k## parametrizing the curve, consider:

$$\oint_C \vec F \cdot d \vec r = \oint_C \left[P \hat i + Q \hat j + R \hat k \right] \cdot d \vec r$$

With ##d \vec r = \vec r'(t) \space dt = \left[\frac{dx}{dt} \hat i + \frac{dy}{dt} \hat j + \frac{dz}{dt} \hat k \right] dt = \left[dx \hat i + dy \hat j + dz \hat k \right]##, we may write:

$$\oint_C \vec F \cdot d \vec r = \oint_C \left[P \hat i + Q \hat j + R \hat k \right] \cdot d \vec r = \oint_C \left[P \hat i + Q \hat j + R \hat k \right] \cdot \left[dx \hat i + dy \hat j + dz \hat k \right]$$

Cleaning up the integral:

$$\oint_C P \space dx + Q \space dy + R \space dz$$

So we conclude:

$$\oint_C \vec F \cdot d \vec r = \oint_C P \space dx + Q \space dy + R \space dz$$

Some food for thought.

8) What is the definition of a simple region?

9) What is the definition of a closed region? What is the definition of a simple region? What is the definition of a conservative vector field?

Related to Final round of questions about Green's Thm

1. What is Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral of a two-dimensional vector field over a closed curve to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. It is named after mathematician George Green and is an important tool in vector calculus.

2. What is the significance of Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is significant because it provides a way to calculate a line integral, which is often a difficult task, by converting it into a double integral. This makes it a powerful tool in solving problems related to vector fields and has numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. What are the conditions for applying Green's Theorem?

In order to apply Green's Theorem, the region enclosed by the curve must be a simple and closed curve, meaning it does not intersect itself. The curve must also be piecewise smooth, meaning it can be broken into a finite number of smooth curves. Additionally, the vector field must be continuous and have continuous partial derivatives over the region enclosed by the curve.

4. How is Green's Theorem related to Stokes' Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a special case of Stokes' Theorem, which is a more general theorem that relates the line integral of a vector field over a curve to a surface integral over the region enclosed by the curve. Green's Theorem applies specifically to two-dimensional vector fields, while Stokes' Theorem applies to three-dimensional vector fields.

5. Can Green's Theorem be used to calculate the area of a region?

Yes, Green's Theorem can be used to calculate the area of a region by choosing a specific vector field and evaluating the double integral. This is a useful application of the theorem, as it allows for the calculation of areas of irregular or complex shapes that cannot be easily calculated using traditional methods.