Final round: Integrating factors

In summary: By reinterpreting the equation, it can be simplified and solved as if t' was y'.In summary, by reinterpreting the given equation with y as the independent variable and t as the dependent variable, the equation can be simplified and solved as if t' was y'. This can make the problem easier to process and solve.
ssb

Homework Statement

Final round I promise!

Is there some sort of trick that can be applied to the following equation so that it is easier to process?
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{1}{t+y},\:y(-1)=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Somebody told me that the equation can be made easier by reinterpreting it with y as the independent variable and t as the dependent variable. I still have a vacant look about my face now as I did back then.

I know that [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{1}{\frac{dt}{dy}}[/tex] but when I try to apply it to my initial equation, I get the same thing I started with.

Physics news on Phys.org
'Somebody' is right. It turns the equation into 1/t'=1/(t+y). Or t'=t+y. That does look a bit simpler, right?

Dick said:
'Somebody' is right. It turns the equation into 1/t'=1/(t+y). Or t'=t+y. That does look a bit simpler, right?

Then you just solve it the normal way as if t' were y'? I don't mean rename everything but just work the problem through solving for f(y) instead of y(t)?

Just fyi I love you.

ssb said:
Then you just solve it the normal way as if t' were y'? I don't mean rename everything but just work the problem through solving for f(y) instead of y(t)?

Just fyi I love you.

Exactly...

Related to Final round: Integrating factors

What is the purpose of using integrating factors in the final round of a scientific experiment?

The purpose of using integrating factors is to simplify the equations and make them easier to solve. In the final round of an experiment, integrating factors can help to find a general solution that takes into account all of the variables and factors involved.

How do you determine which integrating factor to use in a specific experiment?

There is no one specific integrating factor that is used for all experiments. It depends on the specific equations and variables involved in the experiment. Often, it is a trial and error process to determine the most suitable integrating factor.

Can integrating factors be used for all types of equations?

No, integrating factors are only useful for first-order differential equations. They cannot be used for higher-order equations.

Are there any disadvantages to using integrating factors in the final round of an experiment?

One disadvantage is that the process of finding and applying integrating factors can be time-consuming and complex. Additionally, if the wrong integrating factor is chosen, it can lead to incorrect solutions.

Can integrating factors be applied to non-linear equations?

In most cases, integrating factors are only applicable to linear equations. However, there are some techniques that can be used to apply integrating factors to non-linear equations in certain cases.