Field Extensions - Remarks by Lovett - Page 326 .... ....

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the conversation discusses remarks made by Stephen Lovett in regards to Theorem 7.1.12 and Example 7.1.13 on page 326 of "Abstract Algebra: Structures and Applications." The remarks mention the implications of $\overline{a(x)q(x)} = 1$ and explain how it leads to $a(\alpha)q(\alpha) = 1$ through evaluation at $\alpha$. Peter also shares his method for uploading textbook pages, while Joppy recommends an app for better image quality.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Abstract Algebra: Structures and Applications" by Stephen Lovett ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 7: Field Extensions ... ...

I need help with some remarks of Lovett following Theorem 7.1.12 and Example 7.1.13 on page 326 ...The remarks by Lovett read as follows:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6589
In the above remarks from Lovett, we read the following:

" ... ... In the quotient ring \(\displaystyle K\), this implies that \(\displaystyle \overline{ a(x) q(x) } = 1\). Thus in \(\displaystyle K, \ a( \alpha ) q( \alpha ) = 1\). ... ... "My question is as follows:

Can someone please explain exactly why/how \(\displaystyle \overline{ a(x) q(x) } = 1\) implies that \(\displaystyle a( \alpha ) q( \alpha ) = 1\) ... ... ?Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't help with your question, but out of curiosity, how are you uploading your snippets of the various literature you upload? I'm going to guess they are photocopies.

I can recommend smartphone applications which will allow you to get a clear, more definitive black/white render of your image if you are interested! Also saves the headache of using a printer, if that's what you are doing..

Hi Peter,

If $\overline{a(x)q(x)} = 1$, then $a(x)q(x) - 1 \in (p(x))$, so then $a(x)q(x) - 1 = f(x)p(x)$ for some $f(x)\in F[x]$. Evaluating at $\alpha$, $a(\alpha)q(\alpha) - 1 = f(\alpha)p(\alpha) = f(\alpha)(0) = 0$. Hence, $a(\alpha)q(\alpha) = 1$.

Joppy said:
I can't help with your question, but out of curiosity, how are you uploading your snippets of the various literature you upload? I'm going to guess they are photocopies.

I can recommend smartphone applications which will allow you to get a clear, more definitive black/white render of your image if you are interested! Also saves the headache of using a printer, if that's what you are doing..
Hi Joppy,

I just scan the relevant textbook page and the select the relevant text ... then I use IrfanView to reduce the file size and convert to PNG format ... works Ok and is not very onerous ...

Peter

- - - Updated - - -

Euge said:
Hi Peter,

If $\overline{a(x)q(x)} = 1$, then $a(x)q(x) - 1 \in (p(x))$, so then $a(x)q(x) - 1 = f(x)p(x)$ for some $f(x)\in F[x]$. Evaluating at $\alpha$, $a(\alpha)q(\alpha) - 1 = f(\alpha)p(\alpha) = f(\alpha)(0) = 0$. Hence, $a(\alpha)q(\alpha) = 1$.
oh ... of course ...

Thanks Euge ...

Peter

Peter said:
Hi Joppy,

I just scan the relevant textbook page and the select the relevant text ... then I use IrfanView to reduce the file size and convert to PNG format ... works Ok and is not very onerous ...

Peter

Cool, just thought id mention it. ScannerPro is an app that syncs with Dropbox and allows you to easily crop and scale your images. The most important aspect being that you get much better coloration of your images (blacker blacks, whiter whites).

Related to Field Extensions - Remarks by Lovett - Page 326 .... ....

1. What is a field extension?

A field extension is a mathematical concept that involves extending a given field by adjoining new elements to it. It is used in algebraic geometry and number theory to study the properties of fields.

2. Why are field extensions important?

Field extensions are important because they allow us to study more complex structures and solve more complicated problems. They also have applications in cryptography, coding theory, and other fields of mathematics.

3. How are field extensions constructed?

Field extensions are constructed by adjoining new elements to a given field. This can be done in different ways, such as by adjoining roots of polynomials or by adjoining algebraic numbers.

4. What is the degree of a field extension?

The degree of a field extension is the number of elements that are adjoined to the original field. It is denoted by [F:K], where F is the extended field and K is the original field.

5. How do field extensions relate to Galois theory?

Field extensions are closely related to Galois theory, which studies the symmetries and structure of field extensions. Galois theory provides a powerful tool for understanding the properties of field extensions and their subfields.