Is Anti-Gravity Levitation Possible for Human Transport?

In summary: The helicopter would move together with the rotation of the Earth because it would be moving with the air.
Robin07
Fictious meaning that we doen't have anything, as of yet, that can levitate not above a mechanism that aids in its apparent floating capability. Such as a levitating spining top and the base that it needs to float on. Or an electomagnet that turns on and off repeadedly to give the illusion of foating, which I find is more suspension than levitation. No, I'm taking about a free floating platform of sorts that you can stand on, ballanced. And perhaps when you should tilt your head one way or the other you would then be tipping yourself off of the center of gravity so that you would be able to experience locamotion.

My question would be if a person is independent of Earths rotation. Would that person then be standing still as the Earth rotates underneath? This would be 1000.7 km/h at the equator in an west to east direction and going in a tight circle at the poles. Yes? I hope that this is not the case...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You mean like a helicopter?

Absolutely, That never came to mind. Like the helicopter floats on air, independent of Earth.
Thanks.

Robin07 said:
Absolutely, That never came to mind. Like the helicopter floats on air, independent of Earth.
Thanks.

Except that the air is connected to the Earth (it is rotating with the Earth), so it is not independent of the Earth.

Good point, So then would it be entirely possible to have a strong enough electromagnetic pluse or sucessive pulses, that would be directed to a diamagnetic material such as water. To levitate over? What type of form would this pulse be or better yet, what if any would be expected to happen to the waters' surface. Since its' being induced into a bouant, diamagnetic. If I undersatnd this train of thought. This would give an equal, and opposite force that it originated from. In therory would that be correct?

Last edited:
While the physics seem to work, the idea is simply unfeasible. See the following article and look at the table that lists the diamagnetic strength of certain materials. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamagnetism

Notice that water is at -0.91 and that a superconductor is at -105. This means that a superconductor is repelled from a magnetic field over 100,000 times more strongly than water is. So while you can levitate a small piece of superconducting material over a permanent magnet, the strength of the field you would need to levitate a magnetic platform over water is unimaginably high.

I thought the helicopter would move together with the rotation of the Earth firstly not because of the air but because it had moved with it while it was standing, and kept its momentum when it lifted off.

Khantazm said:
I thought the helicopter would move together with the rotation of the Earth firstly not because of the air but because it had moved with it while it was standing, and kept its momentum when it lifted off.

Absolutely.

Related to Is Anti-Gravity Levitation Possible for Human Transport?

1. What is anti-gravity and how does it work?

Anti-gravity refers to the hypothetical ability to counteract the force of gravity. It is often portrayed in science fiction as a technology that allows objects to float or fly. However, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the existence of anti-gravity or its mechanism.

2. Can anti-gravity be used to defy the laws of physics?

No, anti-gravity is not supported by the laws of physics as we know them. The laws of gravity, as described by Isaac Newton and later refined by Albert Einstein, are fundamental to our understanding of the universe and cannot be violated by any technology or force.

3. Are there any real-life applications of anti-gravity?

Currently, there are no known applications of anti-gravity in real life. While there have been experiments and theories proposed, none have been scientifically proven or implemented in practical use.

4. Is anti-gravity possible in the future?

It is difficult to say for certain if anti-gravity will ever be possible in the future. While some scientists and researchers continue to explore the concept, there are many challenges and limitations that would need to be overcome in order for it to become a reality.

5. Are there any dangers or risks associated with anti-gravity?

Since anti-gravity is purely hypothetical at this point, there are no known dangers or risks associated with it. However, as with any new technology, there is always a potential for unforeseen consequences and it would need to be thoroughly tested and regulated before being used in any practical applications.