Ferris State University in Michigan

In summary, Leright and the speaker both agree that Ferris has good programs, with one of the best golf course management degrees available. However, the school is not known for its academics. The speaker questions why the friend chose Ferris and suggests that it may be because of a foreign student grant program. The friend chose Ferris for its direct entrance into the third year of a Civil Engineering program. The speaker notes that for a B.S. degree, the school may not matter as much as the knowledge and experience gained through internships and co-ops.
budala
Friend of mine will be studying at Ferris and he is questioning himself; Ferris is sort of a low profile university. What's your opinion? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
(I live in Michigan), Ferris is a pretty good school, but I've heard it's also a big party school, and like you say, it is rather low profile. However, I've heard that their construction management program is quite good. It depends on your friend's specific interests.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Leright. Ferris has some good programs (it has one of the best golf course management degrees one can get I hear). However, I can't say that it is known for it's academia. I guess it all depends on what your friend is going to be studying.

Just out of curiosity, why did your friend choose Ferris? Is this possibly because of some foreign student grant program?

he choose Ferris bcs of direct entrance into 3rd year Civil Engineering from Community College in Ontario. McMaster university in Hamilton, Ryerson University in Toronto, and University of Toronto gave him credit just for one year.

FredGarvin said:
I agree with Leright. Ferris has some good programs (it has one of the best golf course management degrees one can get I hear). However, I can't say that it is known for it's academia. I guess it all depends on what your friend is going to be studying.

Just out of curiosity, why did your friend choose Ferris? Is this possibly because of some foreign student grant program?
This is true, a friend of mine is going there to study it.

As for the school itself, if it's for a B.S. then the school he goes to shouldn't matter anywhere near as much as what he knows and what he does (interning, co-oping, etc).

Related to Ferris State University in Michigan

What is the history of Ferris State University?

Ferris State University was founded in 1884 as the Big Rapids Industrial School. It began as a small school with only 15 students and has since grown to become a comprehensive university with over 14,000 students. In 1987, the school was renamed to Ferris State University in honor of its founder, Woodbridge N. Ferris, who served as Governor of Michigan from 1913-1917.

What programs and degrees does Ferris State University offer?

Ferris State University offers over 190 degree programs at the associate, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels. These programs are offered through eight colleges: Arts and Sciences, Business, Education and Human Services, Health Professions, Kendall College of Art and Design, Michigan College of Optometry, Pharmacy, and Technology.

What is the student life like at Ferris State University?

Ferris State University has a vibrant student life with over 200 registered student organizations, intramural sports, and various cultural and social events. The university also has a strong commitment to community service and provides many opportunities for students to get involved in volunteering and making a positive impact in the local community.

Does Ferris State University have any notable alumni?

Yes, Ferris State University has many notable alumni including Gerald R. Ford, the 38th President of the United States, and Brian Kelly, the head football coach at the University of Notre Dame. Other notable alumni include successful entrepreneurs, CEOs, and leaders in various industries.

What is the campus like at Ferris State University?

The campus of Ferris State University is located in Big Rapids, Michigan and spans over 880 acres. The campus features modern facilities, including state-of-the-art classrooms, residence halls, and recreational facilities. The university also has satellite campuses in Grand Rapids, Lansing, and Traverse City.