In need of some advice (Michigan State and U Arizona)

• Schools
  • Thread starter PaulKell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    State
In summary, the speaker is a high school senior who has been accepted to both the University of Arizona and Michigan State University. The cost difference between the two schools is significant, but the speaker is interested in pursuing a physics major with a focus on astrophysics and astronomy. They are concerned about the availability of undergraduate research opportunities at Michigan State University, but also acknowledge that the University of Arizona has a strong astronomy program and a notable optics program. They are seeking advice on which school to choose.
PaulKell
I'm a senior in high school and have been accepted to the University of Arizona - which would cost around $14,000 - and Michigan State University - which would cost around $30,000. That difference in price would hit my family and I hard, but from what I can tell the difference in program quality is substantial. I declared a general physics major but plan to go towards astrophysics and astronomy.

It's important to me that I can pursue undergraduate research in physics and that seems more established at MSU...I'd hate to deny an opportunity because of costs that might be worth it.

Does anyone have any advice about choosing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Arizona has the strongest astronomy program in the country.

Likes romsofia
I hear Arizona's optics program is nothing to sneeze at, either.

Related to In need of some advice (Michigan State and U Arizona)

1. What factors should I consider when choosing between Michigan State and U Arizona?

When deciding between universities, it is important to consider factors such as academic programs, location, campus culture, and cost. You should also think about your personal preferences and goals to determine which school would be the best fit for you.

2. How do the academic programs at Michigan State and U Arizona compare?

Both universities have a variety of academic programs, but they may differ in terms of their strengths and areas of focus. It is important to research and compare the specific programs you are interested in to determine which school offers the best opportunities for your field of study.

3. What is the campus culture like at Michigan State and U Arizona?

The campus culture at each university can greatly impact your overall college experience. Michigan State is known for its strong sense of community and school spirit, while U Arizona has a diverse and inclusive atmosphere. It is recommended to visit each campus and talk to current students to get a better understanding of the campus culture.

4. How does the location of the universities affect student life?

Michigan State is located in a college town, while U Arizona is in a larger city. This can impact the types of activities and opportunities available to students. Consider whether you prefer a more urban or suburban environment when making your decision.

5. What financial aid and scholarship opportunities are available at Michigan State and U Arizona?

Both universities offer financial aid and scholarship opportunities to help students cover the cost of tuition. It is important to research and compare the options available at each school, as well as any requirements or deadlines for applying.