FE Exam: Choosing Discipline & Understanding "Other Disciplines

• Testing
  • Thread starter williamx11373
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the conversation discusses the option to choose a specific module or discipline for the FE exam. The "Other disciplines" option is considered a general module/discipline. The choice of discipline does not affect the license received as long as the exam is passed. The speaker also mentions that the general exam is easier than the electrical exam.
williamx11373
I know that the first part is general questions, the second part however allows you to choose a module/discipline like mechanical or electrical...

But there is a module/discipline named " Other disciplines " , is that considered the general module/discipline?

I am a mechanical Eng student, does it matter what discipline I choose? Because the "other disciplines" seems easier than " mechanical" discipline. Does choosing a specific discipline in the second part of the test limit me in any way? Or is it as long as I pass the FE exam I fine.

thx for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think your license says which exam you took so take the one that is easiest for you. I took the general exam. The general exam is definitely easier than the electrical exam.

Related to FE Exam: Choosing Discipline & Understanding "Other Disciplines

What is the FE Exam?

The FE Exam, or Fundamentals of Engineering Exam, is a standardized test that engineers must pass in order to obtain their professional engineering license. It is administered by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES).

Why is it important to choose a discipline for the FE Exam?

The FE Exam is offered in a variety of disciplines, such as civil, mechanical, electrical, and chemical engineering. Choosing a discipline allows you to focus your studying and demonstrate your knowledge in a specific area.

What if I am interested in multiple disciplines?

If you have a strong interest in multiple disciplines, you can take the "Other Disciplines" section of the FE Exam. This section covers general engineering concepts and is intended for those who have a broad engineering background.

Do I have to take the FE Exam in the same discipline as my undergraduate degree?

No, you do not have to take the FE Exam in the same discipline as your undergraduate degree. However, it is recommended to choose a discipline that aligns with your academic background and professional goals.

Can I change my discipline after registering for the FE Exam?

Yes, you can change your discipline after registering for the FE Exam. However, there may be a fee associated with changing your discipline, and you may need to submit additional documentation to the NCEES.