Falling Rods Conceptual Question

In summary, the three thin rods initially have the same acceleration but Z's linear acceleration is greater than Y's and X's.
bpru
Homework Statement

The three thin rods shown below are initially at the same angle, with one rod twice as long as each of the others two.
rods.jpg

Rod X is made of brass (density = 8.6 g/cm3), the others are made of aluminum (density = 2.7 g/cm3). All rods are released from rest at the same time. Select an answer for each statement below.

A. Time for Z to reach the ground is ... for Y. (greater than, less than, or equal to)
B. The initial linear acceleration of the top end of Y is ... that of Z. (greater than, less than, or equal to)
C. Just before landing the kinetic energy of X is ... that of Y. (greater than, less than, or equal to)

The attempt at a solution

Here is my reasoning. For part A, Z would take longer, since the center of mass of the rod has a greater distance to fall. For part B, the linear accelerations would be the same, since gravity acts the same on both of them. For part C, the kinetic energy of X would be greater than Y since X will have a greater mass and K=(1/2)mv^2. One or more of my answers are wrong, though, so can anyone see where I'm going astray?

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Tell me a little more about the linear acceleration at the end of y and z.

Thanks. The way I figure it, to find the linear acceleration for any of the rods, I would use the formula for torque:

T=I(a/r)
Fr=I(a/r)
mgcos(theta)r=(2/3)(mr^2)(a/r)

After canceling terms, I get: a=(3/2)gcos(theta). I took that to mean that the linear acceleration does not depend on the mass or the radius of the rod, so they would be equal. Does that make sense, or am I going about it wrong?

Last edited:
bpru said:
Thanks. The way I figure it, to find the linear acceleration for any of the rods, I would use the formula for torque:

T=I(a/r)
Fr=I(a/r)
mgcos(theta)=(2/3)(mr^2)(a/r)

After canceling terms, I get: a=(3/2)gcos(theta). I took that to mean that the linear acceleration does not depend on the mass or the radius of the rod, so they would be equal. Does that make sense, or am I going about it wrong?

Isn't it

m*g*cosθ = 1/3m*(L/2)2*(a/L)

Looks to me like you end with a dependency in L for linear acceleration a at L.

You're right about MI being (1/3)mr^2 for a rod; sorry about that.

But shouldn't there be an L on the left side of your equation, since torque is Fxr? (I accidentally left it out when I typed up my equation too.) If there is, then the Ls cancel out completely.

bpru said:
You're right about MI being (1/3)mr^2 for a rod; sorry about that.

But shouldn't there be an L on the left side of your equation, since torque is Fxr? (I accidentally left it out when I typed up my equation too.) If there is, then the Ls cancel out completely.

Right you are. I copied yours, but thought you had canceled out the L2 with an L. Sorry I should have caught that.

You get different α 's but at the end that translates to the same a.

Related to Falling Rods Conceptual Question

What is the falling rods conceptual question?

The falling rods conceptual question is a physics problem that involves a vertical rod that is dropped from a certain height and the time it takes for the rod to fall to the ground.

What factors affect the time it takes for the rod to fall?

The time it takes for the rod to fall is affected by the height from which it is dropped, the mass and length of the rod, and the gravitational acceleration in the specific location.

How does the length of the rod affect the time it takes to fall?

The length of the rod does not affect the time it takes for the rod to fall. As long as the rod is dropped from the same height, the time it takes to fall will be the same regardless of the length of the rod.

What is the equation for calculating the time it takes for the rod to fall?

The equation for calculating the time it takes for the rod to fall is t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the height, and g is the gravitational acceleration. This equation assumes that air resistance is negligible.

How is the falling rods conceptual question relevant to real-life situations?

The falling rods conceptual question is relevant to real-life situations because it demonstrates the principles of gravity and how objects fall at a constant rate. It can also be used to calculate the time it takes for objects to fall from certain heights, which is useful in engineering and other fields.