Faith & Religion or No Faith & Religion? which for me?

• Thread starter TheWiseOne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Religion
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of faith and its role in one's life. The speaker shares that they are a non-believer, but believe in a higher entity that created humanity. They question the purpose of life and whether having faith would make a difference. They mention that most religions or faiths promote doing good to others and seeking forgiveness for sins. The speaker believes that having faith can lead to a positive change in how people think and interact with each other. They also mention that having faith can give meaning to life and bring peace of mind. The speaker welcomes others' views and opinions on the matter.
TheWiseOne
I am currently a non-believer.. I have no faith. I have never had faith, however I have always believed there is a more intelligent life-form or higher entity out there which has had something to do with human creation.. so I believe we have a 'creator' but I do not believe that we have any of the creator in us.

I am now in my 30's and find that as I go on through life I am asking myself what purpose do I have? and would it be better to have a faith or not to have a faith? and how would my life differ?

From the information I have read regarding certain faiths I am beginning to understand that to have faith is to embark on a lifetime voyage of doing good to and for others and from time to time to give to those who are less fortunate than myself. I also understand that faith requires one to ask for forgiveness from a higher entity for sins committed so that when 'judgement day' comes to each of us and the cards are on the table.. it can be determined whether or not one goes to heaven or hell.

I believe most religions or faiths stipulate that we must be good to our neighbors so to speak. Based on the above I believe that to have such a faith and truly believe in a higher entity is truly a way of changing the way people think and the way we deal with people on a daily basis. Here's why..

If I spend my life as a non-believer and do "what I want to do.. when I want to do it" regardless of the consequences to myself or others.. and I am a self centered, evil and spiteful individual who has done no good or very little good in this world.. then I will simply go to hell when it comes to 'judgement day'. I believe this is what is happening to the world.. generally people believe there will be no consequences for their actions and therefore it doesn't matter what they do in life as judgement day will not come. What if it does?

If I am a non-believer yet a good person.. I would still go to heaven or paradise when I die as I have spent my life being good to others around me regardless of which faith or religion I follow as I have stuck to the fundamental requirements to get into heaven. Maybe I am wrong here?

By following a faith I think it would give me and maybe others more meaning in this world instead of aimlessly wondering through life and speculating as to what will happen to me when I die. It would focus me both on being kind to others and to give to those who are less fortunate than me. I believe it would set my mind at rest and allow me to focus on living my life to the maximum as having faith means I know what will happen to me on judgement day (assuming there is such a thing) and therefore I don't have to worry about it because I have been good more than I have bad throughout my life.

I also believe from what I have read that it is ok to 'forget' from to time and go drinking with mates and enjoy yourself (we are only human afterall) but to do things in moderation instead of getting drunk all the time and gambling and being rude and bad to other people etc. This is where I understand 'asking for forgiveness' comes in.. or prayer.. which again I personally don't feel one needs to get on ones knees to ask for forgiveness but instead can 'have a word with yourself' and ask God / the higher entity for forgiveness. Surely it is about how you think and behave not your body language.

Does anyone think this makes sense? as I am really beginning to believe that 'faith' is a great thing and you use it to do good in your life. I don't think it has to carry an 'old image' with it.. i really think it is a way to make your life a better place for you to exist and to give you piece of mind.

I'd be interested in anyones views and comments..

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't get into this type of religious discussion here.

What is the difference between faith and religion?

Faith can be described as a belief or trust in something, usually without requiring evidence or proof. Religion, on the other hand, refers to a set of beliefs, practices, and rituals associated with a particular faith or spiritual tradition. While faith is individual and personal, religion is often a shared and organized system.

What is the role of religion in society?

The role of religion in society can vary depending on the culture and beliefs of a particular community. In general, religion can provide a moral framework, a sense of community and belonging, and rituals and practices that bring people together. It can also be a source of comfort and guidance for individuals and can influence social and political attitudes and behaviors.

Can someone be spiritual without being religious?

Yes, someone can be spiritual without being religious. Spirituality refers to a connection to something greater than oneself, often involving a sense of inner peace, purpose, and connection to others and the world. This can be achieved through various means such as nature, meditation, or personal beliefs, without necessarily following a specific religious tradition.

How do faith and science relate to each other?

The relationship between faith and science is complex and can vary depending on one's beliefs. Some see faith and science as complementary, with faith providing answers to questions that science cannot and science helping to understand the physical world. Others view them as conflicting, with faith relying on belief and science relying on evidence. Ultimately, the relationship between faith and science is a personal and subjective one.

Why do people have different beliefs about religion?

People have different beliefs about religion due to a variety of factors, including cultural and societal influences, personal experiences, and individual interpretations of religious texts and teachings. Additionally, people may have different needs and desires, leading them to find meaning and purpose in different religions or belief systems. Ultimately, differences in beliefs about religion are a natural and normal part of the human experience.