Factoring denominator of an integral

In summary, the integral \int \frac{1}{x^{2}+2} can be rewritten as \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{\sqrt{2})}. To get the integral in the form of \int\frac{1}{x^{2}+1}, a trig substitution can be used, or the method of partial fraction decomposition can be applied by factoring out 2 from the denominator. It is important to remember to include dx when rewriting the integral.
dlthompson81

Homework Statement

Ok, this is a pretty simple integral, but I'm having trouble with the factoring.

[itex]\int \frac{1}{x^{2}+2}[/itex]

According to the book, the answer is:

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{\sqrt{2})}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I need to get it in the form of:

[itex]\int\frac{1}{x^{2}+1}[/itex]

I did this by factoring out a [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]:

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}(\frac{x^{2}}{\sqrt{2}}+\sqrt{2})}[/itex]

But when you convert the [itex]\frac{x^{2}}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] to [itex](\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}})^{2}[/itex] the [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] on the outside of the factor doesn't cancel out the one being squared. I'm kind of lost here.

Squaring the bottom term produces a 2 which doesn't cancel with the [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] on the outside of the parenthesis, and changing the term to [itex]4\sqrt{2}[/itex] which would square and cancel isn't in the given answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dlthompson81 said:

Homework Statement

Ok, this is a pretty simple integral, but I'm having trouble with the factoring.

Don't forget dx! You are consistently omitting it in your integrals. It is crucial in problems like this.

The simplest way to do this is to use a trig substitution. Draw a right triangle with an acute angle θ. Label the altitude as x and the base as 2. From this we see that tan(θ) = x/2, so 2sec2(θ)dθ = dx.

Replace all expressions with x and dx in your original integral, and you'll have an easier one to integrate.
dlthompson81 said:

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}} )[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}(\frac{x^{2}}{\sqrt{2}}+\sqrt{2}})[/itex]

I should mention that you can factor the denominator and use the method of partial fraction decomposition. x2 + 2 factors into (x + i√2)(x - i√2).

dlthompson81 said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{\sqrt{2})}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}(\frac{x^{2}}{\sqrt{2}}+\sqrt{2})}[/itex]
If you need [itex]x^2+ [/itex] rather than [itex]x^2+ 2[/itex] you surely don't want [itex]x^2+ \sqrt{2}[/itex]! Don't factor out [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], factor out [itex]2[/itex]:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{dx}{\frac{x^2}{2}+ 1}[/tex]
Now let [itex]u= x/\sqrt{2}[/itex]. As Mark44 says,don't forget the dx! [itex]x= \sqrt{2}u[/itex] so [itex]dx= \sqrt{2}du[/itex]

invert the [itex]\frac{x^{2}}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] to [itex](\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}})^{2}[/itex] the [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] on the outside of the factor doesn't cancel out the one being squared. I'm kind of lost here.

Squaring the bottom term produces a 2 which doesn't cancel with the [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] on the outside of the parenthesis, and changing the term to [itex]4\sqrt{2}[/itex] which would square and cancel isn't in the given answer.

Related to Factoring denominator of an integral

1. What is the purpose of factoring the denominator in an integral?

Factoring the denominator in an integral allows for easier integration by breaking down a complex function into simpler parts. It also helps to identify any potential cancellation of terms that may simplify the integral further.

2. How do I know when to factor the denominator in an integral?

You should factor the denominator in an integral when it contains polynomials or algebraic expressions that can be simplified. This is especially helpful when dealing with rational functions.

3. Can factoring the denominator change the value of the integral?

Yes, factoring the denominator can change the value of the integral. This is because it can lead to terms canceling out, which can significantly simplify the integral and change its value.

4. Is it always necessary to factor the denominator in an integral?

No, it is not always necessary to factor the denominator in an integral. Some integrals may be easily solvable without factoring, or the denominator may not contain any terms that can be factored.

5. Are there any specific rules for factoring the denominator in an integral?

Yes, there are a few rules to keep in mind when factoring the denominator in an integral. These include factoring out any common factors, using the difference of squares formula, and using substitution when necessary.