Factorial in example problem, I'm confused

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of factorials and how they are used in computations. The main point is that (n+1)! can be simplified to (n+1)n!, as the terms after (n+1) cancel out with the terms in n!. Examples and a general definition are provided to clarify the concept.
CinderBlockFist
I'm confused from one step to the next in the book.

In the first step, they have (n+1)!

then in the next step the write that as (n+1)n!

so (n+1)! = (n+1)n! ?

I don't understand that, can someone explain it to me ? ( I am very unfamiliar with factorials, this is like some of the first times I have seen it in computations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's take a general case:
[tex]a!=a(a-1)(a-2)(a-3)...[/tex]
So in the problem:
[tex](n+1)!=(n+1)(n+1-1)(n+1-2)(n+1-3)(n+1-4)...=(n+1)(n)(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)...[/tex]
Now you can see that the terms after [itex](n+1)[/itex] are just [itex]n![/itex], according to our general definition above, so:
[tex](n+1)!=(n+1)n![/tex]

The easiest way to see it is a concrete example I think. Take n as 5... then (n+1)! is 6! , which is 6*5*4*3*2*1. (n+1)n! is the same thing because n+1 is 6, then n! is 5*4*3*2*1, giving you 6*5*4*3*2*1.

edit: posted late I guess :rolleyes:

n! = 1 *2 * 3 ... *n

(n + 1)! = 1 * 2 * 3 ... *n *(n+1)

Since 1*2*3...*n = n!, you can rewrite the statement so that

(n+1)! = (n+1)n!

Ohhh i get it now, thanks guys! all of your responses helped me visualize it, ty.

Related to Factorial in example problem, I'm confused

1. What is factorial in math?

Factorial is a mathematical operation that is denoted by an exclamation mark (!) and is applied to a non-negative integer. It represents the product of all positive integers less than or equal to the given number.

2. How do you calculate factorial?

To calculate the factorial of a number, you multiply that number by all the positive integers less than it. For example, 5 factorial (5!) is calculated as 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1, which equals 120.

3. What is an example problem of factorial?

An example problem of factorial could be: "How many different ways can you arrange 5 books on a shelf?" The answer would be 5 factorial (5!), which is 120.

4. Why is factorial used in math?

Factorial is used in math to calculate the number of possible combinations or arrangements of a given set of objects. It is also commonly used in probability and statistics.

5. What is the significance of factorial in real life?

Factorial has many practical applications in real life, such as in computing probabilities, analyzing data, and solving problems in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is also used in computer algorithms and coding.