Expression for the time average power dissipated in a resistance R

In summary, the question asks for the expression of time-averaged power dissipated in a resistance connected to a solenoid with a square loop at its center. The loop has side-length a and the solenoid has radius r, length l, and N turns. The loop is perpendicular to the axis of the solenoid and has a current I = I0 sin ωt flowing through it. The equations used are P = J E d and P = I^2 * R. The solution involves finding the emf induced in the solenoid and neglecting any power dissipated in the solenoid due to its negligible resistance. Mutual inductance or Faraday's Law can be used to find the em
paulb42

Homework Statement

A square loop with side-length a is positioned at the centre of a long thin solenoid, which has
radius r (with r > a), length l and N turns. The plane of the loop is perpendicular to the
5axis of the solenoid. A current I = I0 sin ωt flows through the loop. Derive an expression for
the time-averaged power dissipated in a resistance R connected between the terminals of the
solenoid. You may assume that R is much greater than the resistance of the solenoid and
that the self-inductance of the solenoid is negligible.

Homework Equations

P = J E d (this is meant to be the integral of the total volume of the shape in question)
P = I^2 * R

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how the power dissipated is calculated over a macroscopic object. But how does this change when it is the referring to a solenoid and the terminals?

Physics news on Phys.org
The power is dissipated in R. Neglect any dissipated in the solenoid, because its resistance is negligible compared to that of R. [Not that there would be any problem with calculating the power in the solenoid if we had to - it's only a piece of wire, but wound into a coil !]

But first you need to find the emf induced in the solenoid. Look up 'mutual inductance', or work from Faraday's Law.

Related to Expression for the time average power dissipated in a resistance R

What is the expression for the time average power dissipated in a resistance R?

The expression for the time average power dissipated in a resistance R is P = VI = V^2/R = I^2R, where P is the power, V is the voltage, and I is the current flowing through the resistance R.

What does the expression for time average power tell us about a resistance R?

The expression for time average power tells us how much energy is being dissipated per unit time in a resistance R. It is a measure of how effectively a resistance converts electrical energy into heat.

How is the expression for time average power related to Ohm's law?

The expression for time average power is directly related to Ohm's law, which states that the current through a resistance is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This can be seen in the equation P = V^2/R = I^2R, where V/R is equivalent to I, the current, in Ohm's law.

Can the expression for time average power be used for any type of resistance?

Yes, the expression for time average power can be used for any type of resistance, whether it is a simple resistor or a more complex circuit element. As long as the voltage and current are known, the equation can be used to calculate the power dissipated in the resistance.

What is the significance of the time average power in a circuit?

The time average power is an important concept in circuit analysis as it helps us understand how much energy is being consumed or dissipated in a circuit. It is also used in determining the optimal size and ratings of components in a circuit to ensure efficient and safe operation.