What Force is Needed to Pull a Solenoid in a Magnetic Field?

• Thread starter Crotos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the magnetic field from the left-most solenoid is weaker when it is moved away from it, so the force needed to push the right-most solenoid away from the left-most is less.
Crotos

Homework Statement

Two solenoids are placed in a cartesian xy-coordinate manner with their bottoms pointing in the negative y-direction, and their tops pointing in the positive y-direction. The solenoids are placed a distance x from each other (on the x-axis).

The solenoids are identical, each having length L, diameter d, N turns, resistance R and negligible self-inductance L.

The left-most solenoid has current I running through it.

Find the force, as a function of distance x between the solenoids, that is required to pull the right-most solenoid away from the left, with a constant velocity.

Homework Equations

I am not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

My understanding is that the left-most solenoid having current running through it will produce a magnetic field, drawing the right-most solenoid towards it. I'm looking for a force that exceeds this magnetic force in magnitude, in order to get the solenoid moving in the +x-direction.

It makes sense to me that the force needed should be less for increasing distance from the left-most solenoid, since the magnetic field from it is weaker when moving away from it.

However, I can't seem to find a good expression for the magnetic field, radially outward from the left-most solenoid. All I find on the internet is some crazy formula containing "elliptical integrals of 1st and 2nd order"..

I'm starting to think I'm looking at the problem the wrong way.

Help! =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: think induction.

Simon Bridge said:
Hint: think induction.

Hi Simon and thank you for your reply! I gave your hint a shot, and this is what I came up with:

Since the coil is of N turns, the induced emf in the coil running current through it should be given by
ε = -N(dø/dt).​

ε is also given by Ohm's law, ε = IR, meaning
IR = -N(dø/dt) ⇔ dB/dt = -IR/(NA)​
since the cross-sectional area of the coil is constant I took it out of the derivative. To clarify, A is the cross-sectional area I'm talking about,
A = (d/2)2π → dB/dt = -IR/(N(d/2)2π).​

From this I think it's pretty fair to say that dB/dt is constantly decreasing, meaning B(t) is decreasing linearly.

Is this decrease along the symmetry axis of the solenoid though, or is it actually appliable to the radial axis, the axis I think I'm looking to get the B-field for?

How does this help me in terms of finding the force required to push the right-most solenoid away from the left-most? I don't see the connection force-induction.

Sketch the situation... How would you normally treat that?
I'd try either treating as two magnets or use work-energy.
You are right... You need the radial field or some approx. I'm thinking you have a set of notes to deal with that.

You are correct in your understanding that the left-most solenoid will produce a magnetic field that will attract the right-most solenoid towards it. To find the force between two solenoids, we can use the equation F = μ0N1N2I1I2A/d, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns, I is the current, A is the cross-sectional area, and d is the distance between the solenoids.

In this case, both solenoids have the same number of turns, current, and cross-sectional area, so we can simplify the equation to F = μ0N^2I^2A/d. The force will vary with distance x, as you mentioned, and can be written as F(x) = μ0N^2I^2A/x.

To find the force required to pull the right-most solenoid away from the left with a constant velocity, we can use the equation F = ma, where m is the mass of the solenoid and a is the acceleration. Since we want the solenoid to move with a constant velocity, the acceleration will be zero and the force required will also be zero. This means that the magnetic force produced by the left-most solenoid will be enough to keep the right-most solenoid in place.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. Remember to always start with the basic equations and simplify as much as possible before trying to solve a problem. Good luck!

Related to What Force is Needed to Pull a Solenoid in a Magnetic Field?

What is the force between two solenoids?

The force between two solenoids is the attractive or repulsive force that exists between two solenoids due to the interaction of their magnetic fields.

How is the force between two solenoids calculated?

The force between two solenoids can be calculated using the formula F = (μ0 * n1 * n2 * A) / (2 * π * d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, n1 and n2 are the number of turns in each solenoid, A is the cross-sectional area of each solenoid, and d is the distance between the solenoids.

What factors affect the force between two solenoids?

The force between two solenoids is affected by the number of turns in each solenoid, the distance between the solenoids, and the cross-sectional area of each solenoid. It is also affected by the permeability of the medium between the solenoids.

Is the force between two solenoids always attractive?

No, the force between two solenoids can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the direction of the current in each solenoid. If the currents are flowing in the same direction, the force will be attractive, but if they are flowing in opposite directions, the force will be repulsive.

What are some real-life applications of the force between two solenoids?

The force between two solenoids is used in various devices, such as electromagnets, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in medical imaging equipment, such as MRI machines, which use strong magnetic fields to produce images of the body.