Exponential Integration Question

In summary, the conversation is discussing the justification for why e^{\int \frac{dt}{t}} equals e^{ln|t|} which in turn equals t, as opposed to |t|. The reason is that t is assumed to be positive in the given context. The use of the absolute value operator is not necessary in this case. This is shown in the example of solving a differential equation, where ignoring the absolute value functions does not affect the final result.
GreenPrint
Why is [itex]e^{\int \frac{dt}{t}}[/itex] = [itex]e^{ln|t|}[/itex] = t as apposed to |t|? I don't understand what happened to the absolute value operator. Thanks for any help.

I understand that [itex]e^{x}[/itex]>0. Is this the justification? But I don't understand why you can't have a negative t in [itex]e^{ln|t|}[/itex] because you would take the absolute value of a negative number.

Physics news on Phys.org
GreenPrint said:
Why is [itex]e^{\int \frac{dt}{t}}[/itex] = [itex]e^{ln|t|}[/itex] = t as apposed to |t|?
It should be |t|, as you thought.

It's possible that there is some other context that you're not including, in which t is assumed to be positive. In that case, |t| = t.
GreenPrint said:
I don't understand what happened to the absolute value operator. Thanks for any help.

I understand that [itex]e^{x}[/itex]>0. Is this the justification? But I don't understand why you can't have a negative t in [itex]e^{ln|t|}[/itex] because you would take the absolute value of a negative number.

If I had the differential equation

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{y}{t}[/itex] = 5

Then using integration factors

y = [itex]\frac{5∫e^{\int \frac{dt}{t}}dt}{e^{\int \frac{dt}{t}}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{5∫e^{ln|t|}dt}{e^{ln|t|}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{5∫|t|dt}{|t|}[/itex]

I'm unsure how to proceed without ignoring the absolute value functions but it appears ignoring them seems to be just fine for whatever reason

bump - went onto second page

Related to Exponential Integration Question

1. What is exponential integration?

Exponential integration is a mathematical process used to integrate functions that contain exponential terms. It involves finding the antiderivative of a function that contains an exponential term, which allows for the calculation of the area under the curve.

2. How is exponential integration different from regular integration?

Exponential integration is different from regular integration because it focuses specifically on functions that contain exponential terms. Regular integration encompasses a wider range of functions and techniques.

3. What are some common applications of exponential integration?

Exponential integration is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model growth and decay processes. It is also used in probability and statistics to calculate probabilities and expected values.

4. How do I solve an exponential integration question?

To solve an exponential integration question, you first need to identify the function that contains an exponential term. Then, use integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts to find the antiderivative. Finally, evaluate the antiderivative at the limits of integration to find the area under the curve.

5. Are there any special rules or formulas for exponential integration?

Yes, there are several rules and formulas that can be used to solve exponential integration questions. These include the power rule, the exponential rule, and the logarithmic rule. It is important to practice and familiarize yourself with these rules to effectively solve exponential integration questions.