Exponential differential equation

In summary, the equation of the curve that passes through the point (0,6) and has a slope equal to twice the y-coordinate at every point is y = 6e^(2x). The slope of the curve is positive, meaning k must be positive. The process of finding the equation involved setting the slope of the curve equal to the slope of the tangent line and using the given point to determine the constant Y0.
w3390

Homework Statement

A curve passes through the point (0,6) and has the property that the slope of the curve at every point P is twice the y-coordinate of P. What is the equation of the curve?

Homework Equations

Y=Yoe^kx is a solution of (dy/dx)=ky, where k is constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I integrated to get the equation for Y above but I am not given any equation to relate x and Y. My initial thought was to set dy/dx=2ky since the slope is always twice the y value. I need to find k but I can't do that without knowing a way to relate x and Y.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't "slope is always twice the y value" mean dy/dx=2y? Compare that to your relevant equation to figure out what k is.

I've tried that as well but I am still left with no way to relate Y to x.

Why don't you show what you tried? You get Y0 by making sure (0,6) is on the curve.

One thought I had was since I knew the slope was twice the y coordinate of point P, I said that (y-y1)/(x-x1)=2y, using 6 as y1 and 0 as x1. This gives me y=6/(1-2x). When I use this to find matching x and y, I plugged them into the Y=Yoe^kx equation and came out with a negative value for k. This can't be correct since the slope is positive. Right?

The slope they are talking about is the slope of the tangent line. That's just y'. You are making this too hard. Just write down the solution of y'=2y. What is it? Then try to figure out Y0. Then you are done.

w3390 said:
One thought I had was since I knew the slope was twice the y coordinate of point P, I said that (y-y1)/(x-x1)=2y, using 6 as y1 and 0 as x1. This gives me y=6/(1-2x). When I use this to find matching x and y, I plugged them into the Y=Yoe^kx equation and came out with a negative value for k. This can't be correct since the slope is positive. Right?

Also, the work you did here can be used to give the equation of a straight line between (0, 6) and some point (x, y). It doesn't give you y as a function of x for the curve itself.

Related to Exponential differential equation

What is an exponential differential equation?

An exponential differential equation is a type of differential equation where the unknown function appears in the exponent. It is a mathematical model used to describe growth or decay processes that change at a rate proportional to the current value.

What is the general form of an exponential differential equation?

The general form of an exponential differential equation is dy/dx = k*y, where y is the unknown function and k is a constant known as the growth or decay rate.

How do you solve an exponential differential equation?

To solve an exponential differential equation, you can use separation of variables, substitution, or the method of integrating factors. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation and any initial conditions given.

What are some real-world applications of exponential differential equations?

Exponential differential equations are commonly used in fields such as physics, biology, and economics to model various growth and decay processes. Examples include population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest.

What are the key characteristics of an exponential differential equation?

Some key characteristics of exponential differential equations include the presence of an exponential function, a constant growth or decay rate, and the ability to model both increasing and decreasing quantities. They also often involve initial conditions or boundary conditions to fully define the solution.