Exploring the Physics of Rubber Band Flight: A Centripetal Force Perspective

• Thread starter Anonim2831
  • Start date
Anonim2831
Homework Statement
Flight of a rubber band
Relevant Equations
Formulas are needed to solve the theory
good morning, I have a problem explaining the physical experiment which involves examining the flight of a rubber band. I record the eraser in slow motion, releasing it in different ways, but each time it turns to the right. Is there any theory that can explain this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

It doesn't sound like the rubber band is the thing that is flying... Is the rubber band being used like a slingshot to launch some "eraser" something?

Please give lots more details of your experiments so we can help. You can use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window to upload PDF or JPEG files with drawings, data, etc. Thanks.

I will try to describe the problem more precisely. I am shooting a rubber band from my fingers. The rubber band flies in a circular motion. The rubber band moves in a circular motion to the right each time. I only use a rubber band, shooting it from my fingers (putting the rubber band on one finger, stretching it on the other and releasing the rubber band)

It sounds like you are stretching it slightly asymmetrically to cause the rotation. Can you use two dowels or rods to do the same experiment?

Likes .Scott
It looks like that may have been the problem. Is there any way to explain why a rubber band starts to spin when it is stretched unevenly? And why does it fly longer distances?

Maybe it flies longer distances for the same type of reason that a football travels farther when you throw it with smooth spin... :smile:

And why do *you* think the rubber band will launch with some spin if it is stretched unevenly?

it seems to me that when the rubber band is stretched unevenly (shot at the right angle), it is set in a rotational motion, which somehow accelerates the flight of the rubber band, or simply stabilizes it and the rubber band flies further, it is probably related to the centripetal force following your lead about football. But I still don't know how far it will fly further in this case and how to calculate it

Related to Exploring the Physics of Rubber Band Flight: A Centripetal Force Perspective

1. What is centripetal force and how does it relate to rubber band flight?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In the case of rubber band flight, it is the force that keeps the rubber band attached to the launcher and causes it to travel in a circular motion.

2. How is the elasticity of a rubber band important in its flight?

The elasticity of a rubber band is crucial in its flight as it allows the band to stretch and store potential energy. When released, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, propelling the rubber band forward.

3. What factors affect the distance and speed of a rubber band flight?

The distance and speed of a rubber band flight can be affected by factors such as the elasticity and length of the rubber band, the angle at which it is launched, and the amount of force applied to the launch.

4. How does air resistance impact the flight of a rubber band?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the flight of a rubber band. The more streamlined the shape of the rubber band, the less air resistance it will experience, resulting in a longer and faster flight. Additionally, air resistance can cause the rubber band to lose some of its energy, resulting in a shorter flight.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when conducting experiments with rubber band flight?

Yes, it is important to wear eye protection when conducting experiments with rubber band flight as the bands can potentially snap and cause injury. It is also recommended to have a designated launch area and to keep bystanders at a safe distance.