Exploring the Mystery of Ball Lightning: A Physics Luddite's Journey

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of ball lightning and the lack of a solution to this phenomenon despite it being 2015. The possibility of researchers currently working on this subject is also mentioned. The rarity of ball lightning makes it difficult to study and a new theory linking it to mini black holes is brought up. However, the theory is considered to be fringe and the conversation is closed.
Gillian McF
Greetings from NZ...I'm a new member and a physics luddite. In 2008 I had a close encounter with what I eventually found out was Ball Lightning. I find it hard to believe that here we are 2015 and still no solution to this phenominon.
Are there any researchers out there currently working on this subject?

Science news on Phys.org
I started with Wikipaedia back in March 2014,when I discovered its name (which I believe to be misleading). Then I moved on to other'popular' sites...ie..'Report Ball,Lightning' After having seen the real thing many of the theories I read didn't come close to explaining it. My sighting was in calm conditions, no storm activity, and not a breath of wind. It was glowing white (same intensity as the LED driving lights that the new cars come with). It was over a metre wide...perfectly spherical. It kept a constant speed of approx 35 kph (I can't translate to knots) and held a height of 5-6 meters. It also carried a straight course following our house fence line.

Gillian McF said:
Greetings from NZ...I'm a new member and a physics luddite. In 2008 I had a close encounter with what I eventually found out was Ball Lightning. I find it hard to believe that here we are 2015 and still no solution to this phenomenon.

Yes, it is 2015, but there are still unsolved problems. The laws of physics that govern Earth and atmospheric processes are well understood, but correctly and completely applying these laws to a system as complex as the Earth can still be a very difficult problem.

Chances are that your google searching and the wikipedia article have found most of what is there to find.

Likes Symmetry777
Gillian McF said:
Greetings from NZ...I'm a new member and a physics luddite. In 2008 I had a close encounter with what I eventually found out was Ball Lightning. I find it hard to believe that here we are 2015 and still no solution to this phenominon.

The problem is that ball lightning is extremely rare, making it nearly impossible to study. If you run into it again, I suggest keeping a notepad handy and asking it a few questions before it disappears. ;)

Nugatory said:
Yes, it is 2015, but there are still unsolved problems. The laws of physics that govern Earth and atmospheric processes are well understood, but correctly and completely applying these laws to a system as complex as the Earth can still be a very difficult problem.Chances are that your google searching and the wikipedia article have found most of what is there to find.
This gentlemans theory is new...are they linked to mini black holes?
http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0212251.pdf

Drakkith said:
If you run into it again, I suggest keeping a notepad handy and asking it a few questions before it disappears. ;)

... and a camera

Gillian McF said:
This gentleman's theory is new...are they linked to mini black holes?
http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0212251.pdf

That is hardly new - the idea was floating around a quarter-century ago according to the wikipedia page. To say that it is "fringe" would be generous. We can close this thread; if anyone has further contributions that are consistent with the Physics Forums rules on acceptable sources let me know by private message.

Related to Exploring the Mystery of Ball Lightning: A Physics Luddite's Journey

1. What is ball lightning?

Ball lightning is a rare and unexplained phenomenon that appears as a glowing ball of light often seen during thunderstorms. It can range in size from a few centimeters to several meters and typically lasts for only a few seconds before disappearing.

2. How is ball lightning formed?

The exact formation process of ball lightning is still not fully understood, but it is believed to be related to electrical activity in thunderstorms. Some theories suggest that it is created by a discharge of electricity that becomes trapped in a ball-shaped plasma, while others propose that it is a result of chemical reactions or even nuclear fusion.

3. Is ball lightning dangerous?

There have been very few documented cases of ball lightning causing harm to humans, but it is still considered a potentially dangerous phenomenon. It has been reported to cause damage to objects and even start fires, so it is important to observe it from a safe distance.

4. Can ball lightning be recreated in a laboratory?

Although scientists have been able to create plasma balls in laboratory settings, these do not behave in the same way as natural ball lightning and are not considered exact replicas. The exact conditions and mechanisms that cause ball lightning to form are still unknown, making it difficult to recreate in a controlled environment.

5. What are some current theories about ball lightning?

There are many theories about the formation and behavior of ball lightning, but none have been proven definitively. Some popular theories include plasma physics, electromagnetic fields, and chemical reactions. However, more research and experimentation is needed to fully understand this mysterious phenomenon.