Exploring the Mind of Feynman: A Talk on Problem Solving and Teaching Style

In summary, the conversation between the two individuals discussed the admiration for Feynman and his unique approach to problem solving. This included his interesting stories about communicating through coded messages and picking safe locks, as well as his style of teaching through his Messenger lectures on Youtube. One particular story mentioned was about the misconception of how planets move, which Feynman debunked through scientific discovery.
A talk (audio only) of Feynman on problem solving:

and Bill Gates on Feynman:

Likes Drakkith, jackwhirl, Greg Bernhardt and 5 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I like Feynman. He has the most interesting stories about the most random things. Like communicating with his wife through coded messages and picking safe locks at Los Alamos or something (It's been a while since I read the book I have on him).

Likes Hawksteinman
Drakkith said:
I like Feynman. He has the most interesting stories about the most random things. Like communicating with his wife through coded messages and picking safe locks at Los Alamos or something (It's been a while since I read the book I have on him).

Yes he did both, I recently read a book about him (all in his own words)

I would like to be a teacher like Feynman :)

His Messenger lectures are on Youtube. They are excellent and show his style of teaching.

There was one story about how people believed the planets moved because of angels flapping their wings in a certain way. He explained that science has discovered it not to be true that they flapped them differently.

Likes Drakkith

Related to Exploring the Mind of Feynman: A Talk on Problem Solving and Teaching Style

1. What is Feynman's approach to problem solving?

Feynman's approach to problem solving involves breaking down complex problems into simpler parts and continuously questioning and challenging assumptions to reach a solution.

2. How does Feynman emphasize the importance of curiosity in problem solving?

Feynman believes that curiosity is essential in problem solving because it drives us to ask questions and seek out new information, which can lead to valuable insights and solutions.

3. What role does experimentation play in Feynman's problem solving method?

Feynman emphasizes the importance of experimentation, or trying out different approaches and solutions, in problem solving. This allows for a hands-on, active approach to finding the best solution.

4. How does Feynman suggest overcoming mental blocks in problem solving?

Feynman suggests taking a step back from the problem and approaching it from a different angle, seeking out new perspectives and ideas. He also encourages breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts.

5. How can Feynman's problem solving approach be applied in other areas of life?

Feynman's problem solving method can be applied to any situation that requires critical thinking and finding solutions. It can be used in areas such as decision making, creativity, and personal growth.