Exploring Superconductors: Understanding Induced EMF in Magnetic Flux Changes

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between external and internal magnetic fields in a superconducting ring, and how induction takes place in this scenario. The net emf is affected by the resistance of the ring, with a small resistance resulting in a small emf and a high resistance resulting in a constant emf. The conversation also acknowledges the complexity of this concept and reassures the listener that even experts struggle with it.
Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
After following the thread "ideal conductor vs superconductor" a while, I am wondering about something that must have a simple answer.

If you change the magnetic flux through a superconducting ring, what happens to induced emf?

Physics news on Phys.org
The net emf is the difference of the emf associated with the external ac magnetic field, and that of the internal ac magnetic field. Whenever induction takes place, the external magnetic field (time-changing or "ac" will be understood) is not the only magnetic field, herein referred as "H". The induced current in the superconductiong ring has a magnetic field as well. By Lenz' law, the induced mmf, emf, H, and E (electric field) are directed in opposite orientation to the external quantities. Thus an external H also includes an external E as well. In the ac domain, E and H are mutually inclusive, i.e. one cannot exist without the other.

When a superconducting ring is placed in the ac H/E field (they always co-exist), a current is induced. This current must have an ac H field associated with it. But the ac H field must co-exist with an ac E field. The H due to the induced current opposes the external H. Likewise for the two E fields. Cancellation occurs so that Ohms law is always upheld. SInce a current in a zero ohm resistance mandates zero voltage, the E fields must cancel. The emf, or V, is the line integral around the closed path of the net E field. Since the E field consists of equal and opposite values (extrenal plus self induced), the net value is zero.

When the conducting ring has a small resistance, the E fields do not perfectly cancel, so that a small emf exists. Ohms law is upheld. For low resistance rings, the induced current is approx. constant, and the induced emf varies with the resistance. Thus I is approx. fixed, and V varies with R per Ohms law, i.e. V = I*R.

For a high resistance ring, the induced current is small, as well as the associated E/H fields. Thus the net E/H values are approx. those of the external E/H fields. Then, the induced emf is approx. constant, and the induced current is I = V/R.

Does that clear things up? If you still have trouble, rest assured that brilliant people struggle with this. It isn't trivial. BR.

Claude

Likes 1 person
Yes, thank you. If I understand you, the induced current generates a flux that will cancel the flux change due to the external field change. Zero flux change --> zero emf.

Thanks,

Mark

Related to Exploring Superconductors: Understanding Induced EMF in Magnetic Flux Changes

What is a superconductor?

A superconductor is a material that can conduct electricity with zero resistance when cooled below a certain temperature, known as the critical temperature.

What are the applications of superconductors?

Superconductors have a wide range of applications in various industries, such as in MRI machines, particle accelerators, power transmission, and high-speed trains.

How does induced EMF occur in magnetic flux changes in superconductors?

When a superconductor is exposed to a changing magnetic field, it experiences a change in magnetic flux. This change in flux induces an electric current in the superconductor, which creates an opposing magnetic field to the original one.

What is the Meissner effect in superconductors?

The Meissner effect is the expulsion of magnetic fields from the interior of a superconductor when it reaches its critical temperature. This results in the complete loss of resistance and perfect diamagnetism in the material.

What are the challenges in studying and understanding superconductors?

One of the main challenges in studying superconductors is achieving and maintaining the extremely low temperatures required for superconductivity. Another challenge is understanding the complex interactions between electrons and the crystal lattice in a superconductor.