EMF induced via change in Area

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction and how the induced emf is equal to the negative time rate of change of magnetic flux. The question is raised on whether a uniform magnetic field and varying surface area would produce an emf, without the presence of a current or electric field. The issue is resolved by Professor Walter Lewin, who explains that the Lorentz force law is responsible for driving the emf in this scenario. The conversation concludes with appreciation for Professor Lewin's teaching and the realization that the concept was overcomplicated.
Just_some_guy
I have been studying electromagnetism this year and we have spoken about Faradays law of electromagnetic induction and eventually how the emf induced is equal to the negative time rate of change of magnetic flux

I noticed however that all examples include a time varying magnetic field, which produces a current and hence electric field and hence an emf

I was wondering however, if we had a uniform magnetic field and varied the area dA of some surface would this produce an emf. As no current or electric field would be produced? But there would be a change in flux?This has perplexed me a little and I was hoping someone could shed some light on my trivial (or not) problem Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind Mr. Walter Lewin has solved my issue

Just_some_guy said:
if we had a uniform magnetic field and varied the area dA of some surface would this produce an emf

Yes. I've done a classroom demonstration of this, by holding a loop of wire attached to a galvanometer, between the poles of a large electromagnet. By "squishing" the loop from a circle to a narrow ellipse, and then "unsquishing" it back to a circle, I got a noticeable current.

Just_some_guy said:
Never mind Mr. Walter Lewin has solved my issue
Professor Lewin is one of the best teachers!

Anyway, if you have learned about Lorentz force law, you should know that when the current loop changes area, the carriers inside experience relative motion and thus Lorentz force. This force would drive them as the emf. In fact, the classical Faraday dynamo is based on this principle.

I was over complicating things little bit I think, and in the process confused myself :)Thank you for your help though :)

Related to EMF induced via change in Area

1. What is EMF induced via change in Area?

EMF (electromotive force) induced via change in Area is a phenomenon in which a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a conductor. This is based on Faraday's law of induction, which states that the magnitude of the induced EMF is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through a surface.

2. How is EMF induced via change in Area measured?

The induced EMF can be measured using a device called a voltmeter, which measures the potential difference (voltage) between two points in a circuit. The voltage reading will increase or decrease depending on the rate of change of the magnetic field through the circuit.

3. What are some examples of EMF induced via change in Area?

One common example is the functioning of a generator or alternator, where a rotating magnet induces an EMF in a stationary coil of wire. Another example is the operation of an electric guitar, where the vibrating strings cause a changing magnetic field which induces an EMF in the pickups.

4. How does the area of a conductor affect the induced EMF?

The larger the area of the conductor, the greater the induced EMF will be. This is because a larger area allows for more magnetic flux to pass through the conductor, resulting in a stronger induced current.

5. Can the induced EMF be reduced or eliminated?

Yes, the induced EMF can be reduced or eliminated by using materials that are good conductors of electricity, which can help to decrease the resistance and therefore the voltage reading. Additionally, using materials that have a high permeability (ability to be magnetized) can help to channel the magnetic flux and reduce its impact on the conductor.