Exploring Science, Mathematics and Consciousness

In summary: Welcome to PF!I think you will be a wonderful addition to this wonderful website.Welcome!I'm a musician, which is why I love this website - it's full of information that is relevant to my field.I'm a "right-brained" person which means that I have a more intuitive approach to things. I can be of immense value to any of our visitors or members who are...umm...left-brained.Welcome!I'm a musician, which is why I love this website - it's full of information that is relevant to my field.I'm a "right-brained" person which means that I have a more intuitive approach to things. I
dimensional
Hello everyone, I just decided to register here after stumbling upon this place a few days ago. After lurking for some considerable amount of time reading all sorts of intellectually and philosophically stimulating topics, I figured I should join because this is just the sort of message board I was looking for.

I'll tell you a bit about myself first, I guess. I'm not a scientist, mathematician or a philosopher of any sort if we define ourselves by trade/study. My background is actually in music composition and production, which I've been doing for 12 years now. I won't get into all of that right now though because I came here to learn and read about physics and other sciences.

My formal knowledges are a rather lacking, however I'm working on that now. I'd like to begin re-immersing myself into the scientific world, especially mathematics. My ultimate goal is to return to the realms of higher education to receive a second degree, hopefully in some kind of physics. I'm very intrigued by the "fringe" fields that boggle even the greatest scientific minds. More specifically (and not surprisingly of course) I'm into things like String/M-Theory and other theories of quantum gravity. I'm also interested in consciousness and other "hard" problems.

I doubt I will be able to participate in many discussions here due to my lack of academic education but I definitely want to utilize my time wisely and learn as much as I can. I look forward to becoming a member of this community! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome. There are many helpful people here, and you will get answers to your questions, especially if you frame your questions well. From your first post, it is apparent that you are literate and capable of thinking things through, so you'll probably have a lot of fruitful exchanges here.

Hello dimensional! :smile:
Welcome to PF!
I feel that you will be a wonderful addition to this wonderful website.

I joined in a similar way you did too, and also am not a scientist or mathematician...but i like this website a lot, and it's really helpful.

Enjoy being here! :smile:

(Now who's got the slapping fish? :biggrin:)

Dimensional, what's your favorite fish?

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks. I do appreciate it!

I am glad this place is very active. I come from another popular music forum with comparable activity rates so I'm more comfortable with that.

And just because I think I should ask... does anyone know of a forum on neuroscience that's just as good (or close) to this one? That's another field in which I have a heavy interest.
turbo-1 said:
Dimensional, what's your favorite fish?

Trout ;)

dimensional said:
And just because I think I should ask... does anyone know of a forum on neuroscience that's just as good (or close) to this one? That's another field in which I have a heavy interest.

i think that you can discuss that here too...
but specifically i don't know

Yeah I did see that subsection for medicinal/biological sciences. I'll look around there too, however it doesn't appear to be as active as most of the other areas on PF. I'd love to get some real heavy education on a few topics. I just wish I could go back to school already!

dimensional said:
Trout ;)

Trout!Who has trout!? :biggrin:

Prepare-the-trout.png

For You!

(and someone unleash it! :biggrin:)

dimensional said:
I just wish I could go back to school already!

I'm lucky in that matter...

dimensional said:
Trout

Hunts for the biggest trout I can find...

You'll probably want the biggest one, right?

trout.jpg

you should'eve unleashed it, turbo...:devil:

ehehehe

Of course. The bigger they are, the better the slap. :D

Welcome to PF, dimensional :smile: !

Big trout it is then! Thwack! with a huge trout-slap to the head and welcome to PF.

Luckily for you, that trout was never frozen.

THWACK!
ASTERIX_fisch.jpg

Have fun here!

dimensional said:

All you need to know about neuroscience is: "never underestimate the brain's ability to misunderstand what it perceives." The rest is just details.

Welcome; careful of the icy patch.

xmasturkey-766552.jpg

FlexGunship said:
All you need to know about neuroscience is: "never underestimate the brain's ability to misunderstand what it perceives." The rest is just details.

that it quite interesting and true..:smile:

Dimensional, the best that I can do is echo The Legend's first post. I never finished high-school, but I have actually been able to help a couple of people in the few years that I've been here. While I love learning from others here, that sense of once in a rare while contributing something is priceless. You, as a musician, are probably a "right-brained" person, which means that you have a more intuitive approach to things than would a "left-brained" mathematician. As such, you can probably be of immense value to any of our visitors or members who are of an artistic nature. We've had some serious and lengthy discussions about the physics of things such as violin strings and flutes, but very few people have been able to represent that from the artist's viewpoint. (There have been some notable exceptions to that, and I hope that they don't think of me as dismissing their input; it's just that they're rare.)

edit: Aw, jeeze, Flex... I just saw your comment after posting this. Pure brilliance. :biggrin:

I see you've been slapped already. :biggrin:

Welcome to PF. :)

And the fishslap is already done! That makes you an official member.

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Thanks everyone who has replied. I'm very glad to see that there are friendly people here receptive of new community members. I'm sure this place has a highly concentrated central elite like most other bigger online communities seem to have. As long as there is an open mind and open heart, I think we can all prosper.

My perspective and experience as a musician and composer has given me inspiration to achieve a higher understanding of our reality or non-reality. And vice-versa, I am deeply touched by the intrinsic beauty and enigma that out universe seems to possesses and this also influence my works as an artist.

dimensional said:
Thanks everyone who has replied. I'm very glad to see that there are friendly people here receptive of new community members. I'm sure this place has a highly concentrated central elite like most other bigger online communities seem to have. As long as there is an open mind and open heart, I think we can all prosper.

My perspective and experience as a musician and composer has given me inspiration to achieve a higher understanding of our reality or non-reality. And vice-versa, I am deeply touched by the intrinsic beauty and enigma that out universe seems to possesses and this also influence my works as an artist.

You could say that all the parts of the universe just seem to harmonize.

OK OK, sorry for the lame pun.

Char. Limit said:
OK OK, sorry for the lame pun.
As well you should be; that's my job now. Make you a deal—I won't try to be new if you don't try to be funny...

Danger said:
As well you should be; that's my job now. Make you a deal—I won't try to be new if you don't try to be funny...

But I'm aiming for the 2011 PF Award for Best Humor... I HAVE to make lame attempts to be funny.

Char. Limit said:
But I'm aiming for the 2011 PF Award for Best Humor... I HAVE to make lame attempts to be funny.

Oh, that's alright then. It never hurts to start early.

Char. Limit said:
I HAVE to make lame attempts to be funny.

If you are suggesting that's the way previous badge holders won, you are putting yourself in a vulnerable position.

Borek said:
If you are suggesting that's the way previous badge holders won, you are putting yourself in a vulnerable position.

I'm not suggesting that. 2011 is different than the other years.

Dimensional,
My ultimate goal is to return to the realms of higher education to receive a second degree, hopefully in some kind of physics. I'm very intrigued by the "fringe" fields that boggle even the greatest scientific minds. More specifically (and not surprisingly of course) I'm into things like String/M-Theory and other theories of quantum gravity. I'm also interested in consciousness and other "hard" problems.

Welcome, I see you have been initiated, and gotten an official PF welcome. This is a "great place", as I found out like yourself after lurking for sometime like yourself before becoming a member. Hope you enjoy yourself here.

BTW Turbo, are those native trout ? The one on the far left looks pregnant. I used to fish with Dad as a kid, and haven't seen a nice group of fish like that in a long time.

Rhody... :smile:

I'm impressed with the forum thus far. There are so many things for me to learn, so little time!

I'm thinking of creating a thread in the "real" parts of the forum now ;)

Char. Limit said:

Exsqueeze me! could you just repleat what you just said>?

dimensional said:
I'm impressed with the forum thus far. There are so many things for me to learn, so little time!

Be VERY careful please.

Lacy33 said:
Exsqueeze me! could you just repleat what you just said>?

LOL! :rofl:

dimensional said:

Ahh, he's going to take the red pill. Indeed, the other parts of the forum might be more "real" but they're not nearly as enjoyable. I'm afraid the rabbit hole goes a bit deeper than the rabbit originally intended.

Is it a black hole? Does it lack, or is it whole? Who knows where the rabbit hole goes.

dimensional said:
Is it a black hole? Does it lack, or is it whole? Who knows where the rabbit hole goes.

Speculation. And personal theories are not allowed. Please read forum rules.