Exploring Quasar Energy Theories

In summary, the available theories to explain the amount of energy concentrated in quasars involve matter being accreted by black holes. However, there may be possible problems with these theories, such as the presence of multiple black holes. The book being read is about the philosophy of technology, and the speaker is wondering if it is still up to date.
Tsunami
What are the available theories to explain the amount of energy concentrated in quasars? And what are possible problems in those theories?

I don't have any background in this, I'm just trying to ascertain whether the philosophy of technology book I'm reading is still up to date. Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Tsunami said:
What are the available theories to explain the amount of energy concentrated in quasars? And what are possible problems in those theories?

I don't have any background in this, I'm just trying to ascertain whether the philosophy of technology book I'm reading is still up to date. Thanks.
The only show in town is matter being accreted by Black Holes.

What book are you reading and what is its date of publication?

Garth

Garth said:
The only show in town is matter being accreted by Black Holes.

What book are you reading and what is its date of publication?

Garth

I think plural black holes is a clue as to why they turn on and off

Related to Exploring Quasar Energy Theories

1. What are quasars and why are they important in understanding energy theories?

Quasars are extremely bright objects found in the distant universe. They are believed to be powered by supermassive black holes at the center of galaxies. Understanding quasars is important because they can help us study the evolution of galaxies and the nature of black holes.

2. How do scientists measure the energy emitted by quasars?

Scientists use various techniques to measure the energy emitted by quasars. One method is to measure the brightness of the quasar at different wavelengths and then use that information to calculate the total energy output. Another method is to study the absorption lines in the quasar's spectrum, which can give information about the amount of energy absorbed by surrounding gas clouds.

3. What are some current theories about the source of energy in quasars?

One theory suggests that the energy in quasars comes from the accretion disk of the supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy. Another theory proposes that the energy is generated by the interaction between the black hole and its surrounding magnetic field. Some scientists also suggest that quasars may be powered by the annihilation of matter and antimatter.

4. How do quasar energy theories relate to the study of dark energy?

Quasars can help us study dark energy by providing information about the expansion rate of the universe. By measuring the redshift of quasars, scientists can determine the distance to the quasar and how fast it is moving away from us. This information can be used to better understand the expansion of the universe and the role of dark energy in it.

5. What are some potential applications of quasar energy theories?

Quasar energy theories have potential applications in various fields, including astrophysics, cosmology, and energy production. By studying the mechanisms behind quasar energy, we can gain a better understanding of the physical processes that occur in the universe and potentially develop new technologies for harnessing energy from black holes or other sources in space.