Understanding Quasars & Blazars: Definition & Theory

• Thread starter Xander756
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quasars
In summary, a quasar is a highly energetic object powered by a supermassive black hole, and a blazar is a type of quasar with jets pointed towards Earth. The jets are created by an electromagnetic field around the black hole, and the emission of these jets is possible through quantum tunneling known as Hawking Radiation.
Xander756
Hey guys I am a bit new to the astronomy scene and am trying to learn as much as I can about space and the universe. One thing that has confused me is quasars (and then blazars). Exact definitions of these is hard to find online, pages I've found always just start going into radio waves and how we detect them and what not but I don't quite understand what they are even.

Is a quasar just a really dense region in the middle of a galaxy which is powered by a supermassive black hole?

Then one thing I found interesting is that blazars emit large beams but if nothing can escape a black hole why does this happen?

Reading the book "Parallel Worlds" by Michio Kaku he also described a "tunneling" effect of radiation that does escape from black holes and was wondering if someone could explain that a little bit more for me as well.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Xander756 said:
Then one thing I found interesting is that blazars emit large beams but if nothing can escape a black hole why does this happen? ...

It happens because the emission is taking place outside of the black hole's event horizon.

In computer models, a supermassive black hole creates an electromagnetic field like a dynamo. Atoms falling into the event horizon move so fast that their electrons are stripped away and they become charged. A finite amount of material can cross the event horizon at any given time, so any excess material follows electromagnetic lines of force into two opposing charge jets at the magnetic poles. This is the quasar (QUASi-stellAR object) or Active Galactic Nuclei (AGN).

If one of the jets is pointed in the general direction of the Earth, then it is referred to as a blazar. This is because the energized particles of the jets are aimed at our sensors.

At the quantum level, virtual particle pairs are constantly borrowing background energy to pop into existence before colliding, annihilating and returning the energy. However, if two virtual particles are created near a black hole so that one of the particles crosses the event horizon and is lost, then the other virtual particle must gain enough energy from the black hole to become a real particle. This is done through quantum tunneling and the process is known as Hawking Radiation. Over time, black holes can evaporate due to this. This is why any small BH’s created in the Large Hadron Collider would have quickly evaporated.

Last edited:

Related to Understanding Quasars & Blazars: Definition & Theory

1. What is a quasar?

A quasar is a celestial object that emits extremely large amounts of energy, making it one of the brightest objects in the universe. They are located at the centers of galaxies and are thought to be powered by supermassive black holes.

2. What is the difference between a quasar and a blazar?

A blazar is a type of quasar that has a jet of particles and energy pointed directly towards Earth, making it even more luminous and energetic. Blazars are also often associated with galaxies that have active galactic nuclei.

3. How are quasars and blazars formed?

Both quasars and blazars are believed to form from the same process, which involves a supermassive black hole at the center of a galaxy accreting large amounts of matter and emitting high-energy radiation. The difference between the two is the orientation of the jet, with blazars having a jet pointed towards Earth.

4. Can we observe quasars and blazars with the naked eye?

No, quasars and blazars are too far away and emit most of their energy in the form of non-visible radiation, such as X-rays and gamma rays. They can only be observed using specialized instruments, such as telescopes and radio telescopes.

5. What can we learn from studying quasars and blazars?

Studying quasars and blazars can provide valuable insights into the early universe, as these objects are some of the oldest and most distant in the observable universe. They can also help us better understand the behavior of supermassive black holes and the role they play in shaping galaxies.