Exploring Physics Through Bicycle Mechanics - Grade 11 Project

In summary, the most significant aspect of physics that applies to biking is conservation of angular momentum - more specifically, the gyroscope principle. This is what keeps a bike stable.
Genesis
Hello, I just found this place and I am glad I did. :D I have a big physics project and I need to relate bicycle to physics. I am in grade 11 and I was wondering if anybody can give me some ideas/suggestions on what kind of things I can relate physics to bicycle using up to grade 11 physics knowledge.:smile: This is a big project, I need to write a report up to around 10 pages.

So far, my plan is to firstly, write some things that are related to physics, which do not involve calculation and are non-technical such as: Steering, pedaling, braking, balancing, etc.

Then I want to go into more depth and do physics that are more technical and involve calculations. I am going to talk about speed (using speed, time, acceleration, distance equations), forces (Newton's law) and then I am quite stuck what to talk about next.

I have found three useful sites:
http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~fajans/Teaching/bicycles.html
http://www.science.uva.nl/research/amstel/bicycle/partic/Bart/Project
http://www.angelfire.com/pq/bicycles

I ordered a book called, Bicycling Science, but it's not here yet (it should have been here a few days ago!)

Please help me! I need to get this done before the end of the winter break (Jan 4th). If you can tell me some good sites that contain some nice stuff about bicycle science, that would be great too. ^^

Thanks for your help! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The most significant aspect of physics that applies to biking is conservation of angular momentum - more specifically, the gyroscope principle. It is what keeps a bike stable. That's all you get for free, go to a library and read about gyroscopes.

Njorl

Likes Delta2
You can also talk about torque and tension which show up all over the place on a bycicle.

Originally posted by Njorl
The most significant aspect of physics that applies to biking is conservation of angular momentum - more specifically, the gyroscope principle. It is what keeps a bike stable. That's all you get for free, go to a library and read about gyroscopes.

Njorl
I did some reasearch on gyroscopic forces/angular momentum, but I still don't really understand (never touched upon this kind of thing before).

The angular momentum is when the bicycle's wheels are spinning, it helps keep the bicycle upright. For example, when the bicycle is leaning to the left, forces from gound twist the spinning wheel (is that right anyway?) can't really find a good definition for it and some of the explanations are top of my head... Can anyone clarify how angular momentum is related to the bicycle?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:

Related to Exploring Physics Through Bicycle Mechanics - Grade 11 Project

1. What is the objective of the project?

The objective of this project is to explore the basic principles of physics through the mechanics of a bicycle. This project will involve hands-on experimentation and data analysis to understand the various forces and motions involved in riding a bicycle.

2. What are some examples of physics concepts that will be explored in this project?

Some examples of physics concepts that will be explored in this project include Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, rotational motion, and friction. These concepts will be applied to understand how a bicycle moves and how different components of a bicycle work together.

3. What materials and equipment are needed for this project?

Materials needed for this project include a bicycle, various tools for bike maintenance, a measuring tape, and a timer. Additional materials may be needed depending on the specific experiments chosen for the project. Equipment needed includes a computer or calculator for data analysis.

4. Can this project be done individually or in a group?

This project can be done individually or in a group, depending on the preference of the student or the requirements of the class. However, working in a group can provide the opportunity for collaboration and sharing of ideas, which may enhance the learning experience.

5. What are the potential real-world applications of this project?

Some potential real-world applications of this project include understanding the physics behind bicycle design and performance, as well as applying the knowledge gained to improve one's own cycling experience. This project can also serve as a foundation for further exploration of physics in other fields such as engineering and sports science.