Exploring Patient Contacts: A Key Factor in Pursuing a Medical Career

• Thread starter Ishita
  • Start date
In summary, exploring patient contacts is a crucial aspect of pursuing a medical career. By interacting with patients, aspiring medical professionals can gain valuable experience in communication, empathy, and problem-solving skills. Additionally, patient contacts allow for a deeper understanding of the healthcare system and the role of healthcare providers. These experiences can help individuals solidify their decision to pursue a medical career and prepare them for the challenges and rewards of working in the medical field. Overall, exploring patient contacts is a key factor in the journey towards a successful and fulfilling medical career.
Ishita
How did you find PF?
I was searching for knowing other methods to solve my homework question and I ended here.
I am a medical aspirant. I'm preparing for NEET ( medical entrance exam,in India). Physics is considered tricky and challenging by my friends. I agree with them. But I'm learning to except physics as my friend rather than a burden, for that gives you strength to bear its vastness and deepness of concepts.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums! :smile: You have found a really great place.
Ishita said:
I am a medical aspirant. I'm preparing for NEET ( medical entrance exam,in India).
That's great! What kind of patient contacts have you had so far? It's important IMO for any aspiring doctors or nurses or medics to volunteer or otherwise experience patient contacts to be sure that they truly enjoy helping folks with difficult medical problems.

In my experience "confused and curious" is the perfect mindset for learning. I hope this Forum proves helpful.

Likes Ishita
berkeman said:
Welcome to PhysicsForums! :smile: You have found a really great place.

That's great! What kind of patient contacts have you had so far? It's important IMO for any aspiring doctors or nurses or medics to volunteer or otherwise experience patient contacts to be sure that they truly enjoy helping folks with difficult medical problems.
Frankly,I've never had any proper kind of interaction with patients but I've always experienced that I feel the happiest when I see someone happy and healthy, and knowing that I'm a part of it, be it 0.1%.☺️

Likes berkeman
Ishita said:
Frankly,I've never had any proper kind of interaction with patients but I've always experienced that I feel the happiest when I see someone happy and healthy, and knowing that I'm a part of it, be it 0.1%.☺
That's a great start! But, IMO if you want to dedicate a decade of learning and expense to earn your MD, I would recommend that you look around for volunteer opportunities to gain some patient contacts. It's a lot harder during the pandemic to find good hands-on volunteer medical work, but I know folks who have both loved and hated their first intense patient contacts. You really should find out how you feel about patient contacts before investing in a medical degree, IMO.

Likes Ishita
berkeman said:
That's a great start! But, IMO if you want to dedicate a decade of learning and expense to earn your MD, I would recommend that you look around for volunteer opportunities to gain some patient contacts. It's a lot harder during the pandemic to find good hands-on volunteer medical work, but I know folks who have both loved and hated their first intense patient contacts. You really should find out how you feel about patient contacts before investing in a medical degree, IMO.
I'll definitely do that, in fact, I'm on the look!😁

Likes berkeman

Related to Exploring Patient Contacts: A Key Factor in Pursuing a Medical Career

1. What is the importance of exploring patient contacts in pursuing a medical career?

Exploring patient contacts is crucial in pursuing a medical career because it allows individuals to gain hands-on experience and understanding of patient care. This experience is essential in developing the necessary skills and empathy required to become a successful healthcare professional.

2. How can one go about exploring patient contacts?

There are several ways to explore patient contacts, including volunteering at hospitals or clinics, shadowing healthcare professionals, participating in internships or externships, and joining medical mission trips. These opportunities provide individuals with the chance to interact with patients and observe different aspects of healthcare.

3. What are the benefits of exploring patient contacts?

Exploring patient contacts allows individuals to gain a better understanding of the healthcare system, develop crucial skills such as communication and empathy, and build a network of contacts in the medical field. It also provides individuals with the opportunity to confirm their interest in pursuing a medical career.

4. Are there any challenges in exploring patient contacts?

Yes, there can be challenges in exploring patient contacts, such as finding opportunities in a competitive market, meeting the requirements for volunteering or shadowing, and managing time commitments. Additionally, there may be emotional challenges in interacting with patients who are experiencing illness or trauma.

5. Can exploring patient contacts help in the medical school application process?

Yes, exploring patient contacts can significantly benefit individuals in the medical school application process. Admissions committees look for candidates who have a genuine interest in and understanding of the medical field, and exploring patient contacts demonstrates this. It also allows individuals to gain valuable experiences and insights that can be highlighted in their application essays and interviews.