Exploring Integral Factoring: Understanding the Impact on Area

In summary: Hey everybody I was wondering why when you factor an integral, the final answer, or area, is smaller than if you hadn't. Here's an example: \int\frac{x}{2x^2} - \frac{x}{2x} between 1 and 2.You would factor out \frac{1}{2} and bring it in front of the integral, right? But, my final answer came out to be about .45 and when I graphed the original two lines, it seemed the actual area should have been around 1. Why is this? What is the correct answer?In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with integrating an area below \frac{x}{2x^2} and above
Luke77
Hey everybody I was wondering why when you factor an integral, the final answer, or area, is smaller than if you hadn't. Here's an example:
[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{x}{2x^2}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{x}{2x}[/itex] between 1 and 2.

You would factor out [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] and bring it in front of the integral, right? But, my final answer came out to be about .45 and when I graphed the original two lines, it seemed the actual area should have been around 1. Why is this? What is the correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Luke77 said:
Hey everybody I was wondering why when you factor an integral, the final answer, or area, is smaller than if you hadn't. Here's an example:
[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{x}{2x^2}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{x}{2x}[/itex] between 1 and 2.

You would factor out [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] and bring it in front of the integral, right? But, my final answer came out to be about .45 and when I graphed the original two lines, it seemed the actual area should have been around 1. Why is this? What is the correct answer?
You must have made an algebra mistake.

Show us your steps each way.

Integrate area below [itex]\frac{x}{2x^2}[/itex] and above [itex]\frac{x}{2x}[/itex] between x=1 and x=2.

[itex]\int[/itex] ([itex]\frac{x}{2x^2}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{x}{2x}[/itex]
= .5 [itex]\int[/itex] ([itex]\frac{x}{x^2}[/itex] - 1)
=.5[itex]\int[/itex] (1 - [itex]\frac{x}{x^2}[/itex]) because 1 is now above x/x^2
=.5[itex]\int[/itex] (1 - x^-1)
=.5 (x - ([itex]\frac{x}{x^2}[/itex] ^2)/2) between 1 and 2

=.5 ((2 - [itex]\frac{2}{4}[/itex]^2)/2) - (1- [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex]^2)/2)
=.5 (2-.125) - (1-.03125)
=.5 (1.875 - .96875)
=.5 (.90625) = .453125

The graph between the original two lines, however, seems to have a greater area than .45.

Luke77 said:
Integrate area below [itex]\frac{x}{2x^2}[/itex] and above [itex]\frac{x}{2x}[/itex] between x=1 and x=2.

I'm curious where you got this problem. I can't imagine any book phrasing it that way.

=.5[itex]\int[/itex] (1 - [itex]\frac{x}{x^2}[/itex]) because 1 is now above x/x^2
=.5 (x - ([itex]\frac{x}{x^2}[/itex] ^2)/2) between 1 and 2

Your antiderivative of ##x^{-1}## is incorrect. Have you studied the derivative on the natural logarithm function yet?

LCKurtz said:
I'm curious where you got this problem. I can't imagine any book phrasing it that way.
Your antiderivative of ##x^{-1}## is incorrect. Have you studied the derivative on the natural logarithm function yet?

Actually I have:
If f(x) = ln x, then f ' x=[itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex]

[itex]\int[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] = ln x
I didnt think to use it though.

Last edited:
Luke77 said:

=.5 (x - ([itex]\frac{x}{x^2}[/itex] ^2)/2) between 1 and 2   I suppose you mean .5 (x - [itex]\left(\frac{x}{x^2}\right)^2[/itex] /2)

=.5 ((2 - [itex]\frac{2}{4}[/itex]^2)/2) - (1- [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex]^2)/2)
=.5 (2-.125) - (1-.03125)   This should be .5 (1-.125) - (.5-.03125) in addition to the sign error.
=.5 (1.875 - .96875)
=.5 (.90625) = .453125

The graph between the original two lines, however, seems to have a greater area than .45.
Luke77 said:
... Also, I made this problem up entirely to purely show my problem with the factorization. Did I make an error, or does factoring an integral change the graph?
Yes, you did make several errors, one of which LCKurtz pointed out.

You have that the anti-derivative of x-1 is [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{x}{x^2}\right)^2\,,[/itex] as near as I can tell. This is equivalent to [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}x^{-2}\,.[/itex] But the derivative of [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}x^{-2}\ [/itex] is [itex]\displaystyle -x^{-1}\,,[/itex] not [itex]\displaystyle x^{-1}\ .[/itex] So you have a sign error.

After that, you fail to distribute 1/2 of the anti-derivative, when you plug-in the limits of integration.

There may be additional errors in your working of the problem.

Also, in making up the problem, you failed to realize that [itex]\displaystyle \frac{x}{2x^2}[/itex] is below [itex]\displaystyle \frac{x}{2x}[/itex] on the interval, 1 < x < 2 .

Thanks everyone, I guess it was just an error.

SammyS said:
Yes, you did make several errors, one of which LCKurtz pointed out.

You have that the anti-derivative of x-1 is [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{x}{x^2}\right)^2\,,[/itex] as near as I can tell. This is equivalent to [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}x^{-2}\,.[/itex] But the derivative of [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}x^{-2}\ [/itex] is [itex]\displaystyle -x^{-1}\,,[/itex] not [itex]\displaystyle x^{-1}\ .[/itex] So you have a sign error.

After that, you fail to distribute 1/2 of the anti-derivative, when you plug-in the limits of integration.

There may be additional errors in your working of the problem.

Also, in making up the problem, you failed to realize that [itex]\displaystyle \frac{x}{2x^2}[/itex] is below [itex]\displaystyle \frac{x}{2x}[/itex] on the interval, 1 < x < 2 .

You're right about the graph! I entered it totally wrong! Thank you very much.

Luke77 said:

I figured it all out thanks to Sammy and LCKurtz. Thanks everyone, I had just entered the graph wrong.

Related to Exploring Integral Factoring: Understanding the Impact on Area

What is factoring an integral?

Factoring an integral is the process of breaking down a complex integral into simpler, more manageable components. This can make solving the integral easier and more efficient.

Why is it important to factor an integral?

Factoring an integral allows us to solve it using known integral rules and techniques. It also helps us to identify any potential substitutions or simplifications that can be made to make the problem more solvable.

What are some common techniques used in factoring an integral?

Some common techniques used in factoring an integral include partial fractions, integration by parts, trigonometric identities, and substitution methods.

Does factoring an integral always result in a simpler solution?

No, factoring an integral does not always result in a simpler solution. In some cases, it may actually make the integral more complex. However, it can still be a useful step in the problem-solving process.

Are there any tips for factoring an integral effectively?

Yes, some tips for factoring an integral effectively include identifying any patterns in the integrand, trying different substitution methods, and breaking down the integral into smaller, more manageable parts.