Exploring College Engineering Majors

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's uncertainty about majoring in Computer Science due to the constantly changing nature of the field, job availability, and competition from foreign workers. The individual also mentions their struggles with programming and considering switching to other engineering majors such as Civil, Mechanical, or Electrical. It is suggested to explore different engineering options and consider opportunities for co-op work to gain experience and better understand the industry. The conversation also mentions the potential for job security and less risk of foreign outsourcing in fields like Civil Engineering.
Ryuk1990
So I'm going to be a college freshman soon and I was originally planning on majoring in Computer Science. However, I'm not so sure about that anymore. I've been hearing many things that people in the CS field have to continuously learn new material since the field is always changing rapidly. I've also met a few CS majors who can't even find a job. I've also read that many companies are hiring foreigners for low wages. There is also a lot of competition since there is a lot of talent coming from India and other foreign countries.

I've also been concerned with whether software programming is for me or not. I've taken two computer programming classes during my final year in high school. I noticed that I wasn't good at programming like some of the other people in my class. Of course, I was brand new to computer programming and some of those kids had been doing it for years so I thought maybe I'd get better over time. However, over the summer I've been working on a tic-tac-toe game and I've been having trouble debugging my AI. Maybe I'm just not cut out to be a programmer. I mean, I'm having trouble completing a simple game in Visual Basic which is by far one of the easiest languages.

I've kind of been thinking that maybe I should switch to something like Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or even Electrical Engineering. All of those majors, including CS, are part of the School of Engineering at my college. The 1st semester classes are the same for all of the majors so I still have time on deciding. Civil Engineering is apparently the easiest of them. It also provides the most job security and has good pay. However, in truth, I don't really know too much about any of those majors. Does anyone know some good sites that really go in-depth into those fields? During my first semester, I'll be taking a class called Orientation to Engineering so maybe that will show me which of the engineering majors is right for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, if you get into an engineering track, you will not be required to choose a specialty for at least a year or two, and by the time you have been in the curriculum for that period, you might have a feel for where you want to go. It would be a good idea to get together with your guidance counselors very early on, to see if you can get some co-op work in the summers to see how you fit with local industries.

If you are concerned about job security and foreign out-sourcing, it's probably not a great idea to continue in CS, but instead to consider jobs like Civil Engineering, in which your projects might be quite dependent on your location, climate, etc, and should be more geared to the skills and experience of a professional who has a track-record in similar projects. It's pretty hard to out-source the engineering of an existing bridge in a tough climate, so CE doesn't look bad, in that respect.

Good luck.

I understand your concerns about majoring in Computer Science and the changing landscape of the field. It is true that technology and software are constantly evolving, and as a result, those in the CS field must continuously learn new material. However, this can also be seen as an opportunity for growth and development, as staying up-to-date with new technologies and techniques can make you a valuable asset to companies.

I also understand your concerns about job prospects and competition in the CS field. It is true that there is a global pool of talent in the tech industry, but it is important to remember that there are also many job opportunities available, especially in a constantly growing field like computer science.

It is also understandable that you are questioning whether software programming is the right fit for you. It is important to explore your interests and strengths, and if programming does not come naturally to you, it may not be the best career path for you. However, I would encourage you to continue exploring different aspects of computer science, as it is a broad field with many sub-disciplines, and you may find a niche that aligns with your strengths and interests.

Switching to a different engineering major is also a viable option, and it is great that your college offers the opportunity to explore different areas of engineering during your first semester. I suggest taking full advantage of this opportunity and doing some research on each field to see which one resonates with you the most. It is also helpful to talk to professionals in the field and gather their insights and experiences.

In terms of finding more information about these engineering majors, I suggest looking into professional organizations and societies, as well as job boards and industry publications. These sources can provide in-depth information on job prospects, salaries, and the day-to-day responsibilities of each engineering discipline.

Overall, my advice is to keep an open mind and continue exploring your options. You have the opportunity to learn and grow in any field you choose, and ultimately, it is important to find a career path that aligns with your strengths, interests, and values. Good luck in your decision-making process!

Related to Exploring College Engineering Majors

1. What are the most popular engineering majors in college?

The most popular engineering majors in college are mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, computer engineering, and chemical engineering.

2. How do I choose the right engineering major for me?

Choosing the right engineering major depends on your interests and strengths. Research different majors, talk to current engineering students, and consider your career goals to help make your decision.

3. Are there any prerequisites for engineering majors in college?

Most engineering majors have specific math and science prerequisites that must be completed before starting the major. It's important to check with your college or university for specific requirements.

4. Can I switch engineering majors in college?

Yes, it is possible to switch engineering majors in college. However, it may require taking additional courses and extending your graduation timeline. It's important to speak with an academic advisor before making a decision.

5. Are there any internships or co-op opportunities for engineering majors in college?

Yes, many engineering programs offer internships or co-op opportunities for students to gain hands-on experience in their field. These opportunities can also help students make connections and potentially lead to job offers after graduation.