Exploring Calculus-Based Physics: What's the Best Textbook?

In summary, the conversation recommends Halliday and Resnick, Kleppner and Kolenkow, Purcell, and French as good introductory calculus-based physics textbooks. The textbooks used at MIT include K&K and Purcell for honors physics classes, with Purcell being more readable and easier to understand. Gasioschwicz's text is also mentioned, but not highly recommended. Tipler should be avoided.
Kyptonite
What do you consider to be the "best" introductory calculus-based physics textbook? I've taken an Honors Physics course which used the highly pedestrian algebra-based Holt Physics book and am greatly interested in learning more physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Halliday and Resnick, not the versions with Krane, i.e. Editions 1 or 2 only...

When I was a TA for an honors sequence, they used [over the span of 3 quarters]:
Kleppner and Kolenkow "An Introduction to Mechanics",
Purcell "Electricity and magnetism (Berkeley physics course v.2)",
and [if I recall correctly] French "Vibrations and Waves".

the series robphy posted is the one that MIT uses. K&K and purcell are used in the honors physics classes. K&K is probably not the best introduction to the material, especially for self-teaching, but the problems are excellent and there are a lot of examples. i found the purcell to be pretty good and readable, with some good problems. a good supplement can be found at my class's website at http://web.mit.edu/8.022/www/ - my prof's notes and extra problems are excellent. before attending MIT, i had never done any calculus-based physics, and found the K&K a bit hard to keep up with. second semester, i found the E&M class which used purcell to be much easier. however, the prof was definitely a big factor, so take that with a grain of salt. and having used those two books, i decided on becoming a physics and math major, so take that as an indicator of their great treatment of the subject matter. as for the french, that's what i will be using next year, so we'll see about that i guess?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using a text by Gasioschwicz (sp.). Personally, I don't care much for the book. Lots of worked examples, however. This text is calculus based, by the way.

I learned a lot of intro physics from Serway.

Avoid Tipler.

Related to Exploring Calculus-Based Physics: What's the Best Textbook?

1. What is the difference between calculus-based physics and algebra-based physics?

Calculus-based physics involves using calculus concepts, such as derivatives and integrals, to understand and solve problems in physics. Algebra-based physics focuses on using algebraic equations to solve problems. Calculus-based physics is typically more advanced and is often required for more advanced physics courses and engineering programs.

2. What are some good textbooks for calculus-based physics?

Some commonly used textbooks for calculus-based physics include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick. It is important to choose a textbook that aligns with the specific course curriculum and learning style.

3. How do I know which textbook is the best for me?

The best textbook for you may depend on your learning style and the specific topics covered in your course. It may be helpful to consult with your instructor or read reviews from other students to determine which textbook would be the most suitable for you.

4. Are there any online resources or supplements that can help with understanding calculus-based physics?

Yes, there are many online resources and supplements available to help with understanding calculus-based physics. These may include video lectures, practice problems, study guides, and interactive simulations. Some popular websites for physics resources include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in calculus to do well in a calculus-based physics course?

A strong background in calculus is not always necessary, but it can be helpful in understanding and solving complex problems in physics. It is important to have a basic understanding of calculus concepts such as derivatives and integrals, but many textbooks and courses also provide review and practice problems to help students who may not have a strong background in calculus.