Exploring Applied Physics: From Passion to Career Aspirations

In summary, applied physics is similar to physics-based engineering with a focus on broad, practical problems. It may involve developing new technologies for space travel. For those interested in astrophysics and working at the Large Hadron Collider in CERN, a degree in engineering physics is recommended as it can open doors for graduate school, industry work, and research opportunities. In South Africa, graduate school may not exist. The undergraduate curriculums for applied and pure physics are similar, but applied physics will often include more courses in material science, information physics, or computational physics. With an applied physics degree, it is possible to work at the LHC at CERN, but it may be helpful to have a degree in engineering physics for more opportunities
Lishen23
Its what I'm passionate about, Physics. I'm a first year Applied Physics student and I have lots of questions and problems, firstly what is Applied physics and how does it differ from pure Physics. Initially I was hellbent on Astrophysics I still am, to me Astrophysics makes every other profession seem insignificant when you think about the scope you're studying and how vague mankind's knowledge of the Universe probably is. Then there's the beautiful LHC in Cern, another one of my dreams is to work there, what degree would I need for it? I'm assuming Quantum physics. Another thing is I definitely intend on getting my Msc in whatever field in doing, can anyone tell me what is the difference in scope of jobs for a Bsc, Bsc Hons, Msc and Phd. Thanks any help is appriciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say applied physics is similar to physics based engineering with the exception that the problems are more broad and less specific. For example, applied physics may be concerned with developing a new technology for high speed intersteller space travel.

For people with your goals and interests, I think engineering physics is one of the most under-rated degrees. It would open doors for graduate school, work in industry, high level research, and so on.

I believe in Undergraduate level, the curriculum of applied and pure physics are similar..
some differences will usually be that applied physics will take more material science, information physics, or computational physics courses..

edgepflow said:
I would say applied physics is similar to physics based engineering with the exception that the problems are more broad and less specific. For example, applied physics may be concerned with developing a new technology for high speed intersteller space travel.

For people with your goals and interests, I think engineering physics is one of the most under-rated degrees. It would open doors for graduate school, work in industry, high level research, and so on.

Thanks a lot I think I might stick with Applied Physics after all :). But uh, what do you mean by graduate school? I'm in South Africa, either I'm not clued up on that or those don't exist here

Ashuron said:
I believe in Undergraduate level, the curriculum of applied and pure physics are similar..
some differences will usually be that applied physics will take more material science, information physics, or computational physics courses..

Would they let me mess around at the LHC in Cern with an Applied Physics Degree? Because if I miss the opportunity to do research there I'm going to regret it for the rest of my life

Related to Exploring Applied Physics: From Passion to Career Aspirations

1. What is an Applied Physics degree?

An Applied Physics degree is an undergraduate or graduate degree program that focuses on the practical application of physics principles to real-world problems and technologies. It combines coursework in physics with courses in other related fields, such as engineering, materials science, and computer science.

2. What career opportunities are available with an Applied Physics degree?

Graduates with an Applied Physics degree have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. Some common career paths include research and development, engineering, data analysis, consulting, and teaching. They can work in industries such as aerospace, renewable energy, telecommunications, and healthcare.

3. Is an Applied Physics degree more challenging than a traditional Physics degree?

The difficulty of an Applied Physics degree can vary depending on the specific program and the individual's strengths and interests. However, since it combines coursework in multiple fields and emphasizes practical application, it may be more challenging than a traditional Physics degree that focuses solely on theoretical concepts.

4. Can I pursue a graduate degree or specialization after completing an Applied Physics degree?

Absolutely! In fact, many students choose to pursue a graduate degree or specialization in a specific area of Applied Physics after completing their undergraduate studies. This can help them gain deeper knowledge and expertise in a particular field and open up more advanced career opportunities.

5. What skills and knowledge will I gain from an Applied Physics degree?

An Applied Physics degree equips students with a strong foundation in physics principles, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and technical skills. Students also gain knowledge in related fields such as mathematics, computer programming, and engineering, which can be applied to a variety of industries and technologies.