Exploring an Online Physics Degree with a BA in Chemistry

In summary: But if you really want to make a change in your career, a physical program may be a better option than online courses.
Jwhittie
This will be somewhat unorganized as I am really just fishing for information at this stage. I currently have a BA in Chemistry, with a minor in math, but would really like to add a physics degree to this. Simple enough so far, the issue is, I would like to take online courses as much as possible, as I have a family, a mortgage payment, and a full-time job as a chemist currently. Fishing some online degree programs in the field, it seems that most places do not want to grant a degree if you already have a BA. If anyone has any advice for a good online program, a website to go to/phone to call I would appreciate a bit of direction. The college I attended (Dana College) only has 1 year of physics(which I took). I have gone through Calc 1-3, Discreet math, and Differential equations. Again any advice/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have any answers to your specific questions but.. have you considered pursuing more math courses (and yes I am biased because I majored in math)? I glanced at the site for the college you posted and they have a math program, which means they have upper year math courses, computer labs, and all that stuff. You could try some courses in pure math like Analysis, Group Theory, etc or some more applied stuff like Numerical Analysis, Mathematical Physics, etc while taking online physics courses (and though you are probably comfortable in a lab since you're a Chemist, you're probably going to need to take some lab courses too)
hope that helps
pce

I actually forgot to list one... I did take Intro to analysis; (400 level course at Dana) and I do love math, my thoughts are that since physics is really a math heavy discipline I could add two majors for my BA, both mathematics and physics, and then decide whether to pursue math or physics at a higher level. Either way I'm going to have to rely heavily on online courses because of my job.

Since you already have a BS, you may want to instead look into a Master's degree. Some Master's programs offer coursework primarily in either the morning, or in the evening, which would make it easier to work around a family schedule. This often tends to be the case more if the program is designed for a terminal masters, in some applied area of the field (for instance Optics, Chemical Physics, Medical Physics, etc.)... and these programs are often open to students with undergraduate majors in related fields (not just physics).

All this, of course, probably depends on your proximity to such a program. Nowadays it's particularly difficult to move, especially when you have a mortgage. I think I'm of the general consensus here when I recommend a physical program over an online program. There's some other threads about online programs here if you do a search.

To this end, however, you may want to consider WHY you want a physics degree. Personal fulfillment is an ok reason to make you pursue things, but in the end I've found the results of similar drives to be less than edifying. If you have satisfaction in your current employment, perhaps just a course or two at a local university will be sufficient.

Related to Exploring an Online Physics Degree with a BA in Chemistry

1. What is the difference between a BA in Chemistry and an online Physics degree?

A BA in Chemistry is a bachelor's degree that focuses on the study of chemistry and its applications. An online Physics degree is a bachelor's degree that focuses on the study of physics and its applications. While both degrees involve the study of science and mathematics, a BA in Chemistry is more specialized in chemistry, while an online Physics degree is more specialized in physics.

2. Can I pursue an online Physics degree with a BA in Chemistry?

Yes, it is possible to pursue an online Physics degree with a BA in Chemistry. While it may not be a common path, having a background in chemistry can provide a strong foundation for understanding the principles of physics. You may need to take some prerequisite courses in physics before starting the online degree program.

3. What are the benefits of exploring an online Physics degree with a BA in Chemistry?

Exploring an online Physics degree with a BA in Chemistry can provide you with a well-rounded understanding of both chemistry and physics. This can be beneficial for career opportunities that require knowledge in both fields, such as materials science, environmental science, or pharmaceuticals. It can also open up opportunities for further education in graduate programs that combine chemistry and physics.

4. Will I have to complete any in-person labs or experiments in an online Physics degree?

It depends on the specific online degree program. Some online programs may require you to complete in-person labs or experiments at a designated location, while others may have virtual labs or simulations. It is important to research the specific program requirements before enrolling to ensure that it aligns with your preferences and needs.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone with an online Physics degree and a BA in Chemistry?

The combination of an online Physics degree and a BA in Chemistry can lead to various career opportunities in fields such as research and development, engineering, healthcare, and education. Some specific job titles may include materials scientist, pharmaceutical researcher, environmental engineer, or high school science teacher. The specific career path will depend on your individual interests, skills, and experience.