Experiment ideas for science exhibitions

In summary: Speaker_%28audio%29In summary, you can make an x-y laser pointer deflection system by using 2 mirrors and speakers.
Subrahmanyan
Can someone suggest a few science experiments we could do at our school for the Science Exhibition ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

You said in your New Member Introduction post that you are in high school. What kinds of experiments/projects have been done in the past? Have you done a search online for High School Science Fair Projects? You will get hundreds (if not thousands) of suggestions.

What are your favorite areas of science? Physics? Chemistry? Biology? Engineering/Robotics?

Likes Subrahmanyan
My first science fair project was a volcano, my first experiment was a little cup filled with salt water, sprinkle some pepper on top of the salt water and insert a charged rod, electrochemistry! I think I picked that one up in Mr wizards science secrets.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

You said in your New Member Introduction post that you are in high school. What kinds of experiments/projects have been done in the past? Have you done a search online for High School Science Fair Projects? You will get hundreds (if not thousands) of suggestions.

What are your favorite areas of science? Physics? Chemistry? Biology? Engineering/Robotics?
Yes I have done so but the topics seem either extremely simplistic or require great amount of knowledge in electronics and other fields. I would like to do something in electricity and optics.If you could give me some chemistry topics as well I would be really happy.

Take a flashlight and a prisim and explain how the light splits into different wavelengths according to the angle of incidence in the prisim.

Electro-optic modulation of a laser pointer beam to
Subrahmanyan said:
I would like to do something in electricity and optics
Well, a fun one is to use 2 audio speakers and light first-surface mirrors (FSMs) to make an x-y laser pointer deflection system. You need to figure out how to mount one end of the mirror to the center of the dust cap in the speaker and the other end to some sort of hinge mechanism near the edge of the cone (which is fixed with respect to the speaker enclosure). That way, as the speaker cone vibrates in and out, the FSM rotates about that hinge. An even better arrangement is to figure out some mechanical mechanism that attaches to the dust cover and the edge of the speaker, and allows the mirror to rotate like a teeter-totter so that the middle of it is just changing angle and not moving in and out with the speaker cone.

Use a low-power laser pointer to bounce off the center of the two mirrors, and arrange the speakers so that they provide x & y deflection of the beam. Be careful to aim the beam at a safe surface so that there is no chance of anybody getting a strong reflection in their eye. Then drive the two speakers with simple tones or more complex waveforms to see that kind of patterns you can make. You could probably use the stereo output from your cellphone (or two cellphones) with a signal generator App to generate the tones to feed to the (externally powered) speakers.

EDIT/ADD -- You want to place the 2 mirrors as close together as possible, to reduce the position error on the 2nd mirror. Here is the basic construction of most audio speakers for reference:

hpm_0000_0007_0_img0105.jpg

Attachments

• hpm_0000_0007_0_img0105.jpg
    hpm_0000_0007_0_img0105.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Likes Subrahmanyan

Related to Experiment ideas for science exhibitions

1. What are some easy and fun experiment ideas for science exhibitions?

Some easy and fun experiment ideas for science exhibitions include creating a lava lamp with oil and water, making a homemade volcano using baking soda and vinegar, and conducting a density experiment with different liquids.

2. How can I incorporate technology into my science exhibition experiment?

You can incorporate technology into your science exhibition experiment by using sensors and data loggers to collect and analyze data, creating interactive displays with virtual reality or augmented reality, or using coding and programming to create a digital simulation or game.

3. What are some experiments that can be done with everyday household items?

Some experiments that can be done with everyday household items include creating a simple circuit with a battery, wires, and a lightbulb, using fruits and vegetables to make batteries, and making a DIY solar oven using a pizza box and aluminum foil.

4. How can I make my experiment stand out at a science exhibition?

To make your experiment stand out at a science exhibition, you can add a creative and eye-catching display, incorporate a unique or unexpected element, conduct live demonstrations to engage the audience, and provide clear and concise explanations of the scientific principles behind your experiment.

5. Are there any experiment ideas that can be done with a group or team?

Yes, there are many experiment ideas that can be done with a group or team. Some examples include building a bridge with straws and testing its strength, conducting a paper airplane competition to see whose design flies the farthest, and creating a Rube Goldberg machine using everyday objects and simple machines.