Gift Ideas for Scientists and Engineers

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, gift ideas for scientists and engineers include practical and innovative items such as scientific and engineering themed books, tools and gadgets, personalized lab coats or mugs, and subscriptions to science or technology magazines. Other unique gift options include DIY science and engineering kits, virtual reality headsets, and 3D printing pens. It is important to consider the interests and hobbies of the recipient when choosing a gift, and to also keep in mind their specific field of science or engineering. Additionally, experiences such as tickets to science or technology conferences or workshops can make for thoughtful and memorable gifts for those in the scientific and engineering fields.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If you are like me, you often struggle for a good gift idea for someone. My boss's boss has given me a nice Christmas gift the last couple of year so I wanted to find something nice for him. He is really into antique science and testing equipment and has a nice collection. I decided to search around for something cool when I found this. He loved it! In fact, he looked at it a few minutes and exclaimed "This is a badass gift!" :oldlaugh:

It seems like a nice gift idea generally for nerds. There are many similar items as well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WWZ5LRV/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It is beautifully crafted with rosewood, brass, and copper, and very decorative. Very nice and not horribly expensive considering the craftsmanship.

1675900633372.png

• Love
Likes pinball1970, DennisN, dlgoff and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Here’s another gift idea a mechanical marble run made of laser cut plywood that you assemble. This is just one example of many models Rowood makes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094CQR5SL/?tag=pfamazon01-20

View attachment 321972
My daughter got me one of these. They were surprisingly good. The pieces mostly didn't break and superglue worked on the wood if they did. It was very complex, but worked fine after a bit of initial tweaking.
I was impressed with the designing of it.
Took about a day to assemble.

Likes pinball1970, jedishrfu and Ivan Seeking
Likes DennisN, Ivan Seeking, jedishrfu and 1 other person
Ivan Seeking said:
It seems like a nice gift idea generally for nerds. There are many similar items as well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WWZ5LRV/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It is beautifully crafted with rosewood, brass, and copper, and very decorative. Very nice and not horribly expensive considering the craftsmanship.

jedishrfu said:
Here’s another gift idea a mechanical marble run made of laser cut plywood that you assemble. This is just one example of many models Rowood makes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094CQR5SL/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Aaargh, why did you two post about so cool items? :smile:
I need to stay away from Amazon, I've already reached my budget limit for this month (and I only bought boring but needed things, e.g. 2 hard drives, a desktop fan and winter gloves. No toys this time :frown: ).

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, Ivan Seeking and jedishrfu
  • Love
Likes dlgoff, pinball1970, Ivan Seeking and 1 other person
jedishrfu said:
Sorry I promise not to post any more Amazon stuff...
It's ok. I can put them on my wish list on Amazon instead ("Save for later")... :smile:

The Robotics Kit looks very cool too (I loved Lego Technics when I was young).

DennisN said:
The Robotics Kit looks very cool too (I loved Lego Technics when I was young).
The stuff from my link comes as a wooden puzzle! They also have vehicles of all kinds, an astrolabe, etc.

• Informative
Likes Ivan Seeking, pinball1970 and DennisN
I just saw two items on Amazon I just had to share here...

They are so cool that I feel a strong itch in my finger, an itch that only pressing the "Buy now" button on Amazon can fix... :smile:

How cool is this lamp? (really expensive, though)

It's a lamp. A UFO lamp. A levitating UFO lamp.

UFO lamp.jpg

And how cool is this gadget? (link, I don't know the price)

It's a Death Star. And a bluetooth speaker. And it levitates.

Levitating Death Star.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Grelbr42, pinball1970, fresh_42 and 1 other person
DennisN said:
I just saw two items on Amazon I just had to share here...

They are so cool that I feel a strong itch in my finger, an itch that only pressing the "Buy now" button on Amazon can fix... :smile:

How cool is this lamp? (really expensive, though)

It's a lamp. A UFO lamp. A levitating UFO lamp.

View attachment 322912

And how cool is this gadget? (link, I don't know the price)

It's a Death Star. And a bluetooth speaker. And it levitates.

View attachment 322913
There are levitating globes too:

Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 4.52.31 PM.png

Likes Grelbr42 and DennisN
BillTre said:
There are levitating globes too:
I've got one already :smile:. Like this one, but the one you posted looks cooler, I think.
And maybe it can spin by itself, like this one (mine can't).

Likes BillTre

What are some practical gift ideas for scientists and engineers?

Some practical gift ideas for scientists and engineers include high-quality lab equipment, specialized tools for their field of study, or a subscription to a scientific journal or magazine.

What are some unique gift ideas for scientists and engineers?

Some unique gift ideas for scientists and engineers could include a personalized lab coat or mug, a set of science-themed board games, or a DNA testing kit.

What are some budget-friendly gift ideas for scientists and engineers?

Budget-friendly gift ideas for scientists and engineers could include a set of high-quality pens or pencils, a scientific-themed t-shirt or mug, or a book related to their field of study.

What are some gifts that can help scientists and engineers in their research or work?

Gifts that can help scientists and engineers in their research or work could include a digital microscope, a portable data storage device, or a subscription to a scientific software program.

What are some gift ideas for scientists and engineers who are also foodies?

Gift ideas for scientists and engineers who are also foodies could include a molecular gastronomy kit, a chemistry-themed cookbook, or a set of beaker-shaped measuring cups.