Experiencing Frustration with R Programming Language

• MHB
  • Thread starter polygamma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experience
In summary, R is a frustrating language to use because it is difficult to get results quickly and it is not well-suited for integral and analytical computations.
polygamma
I'm finding R to be the most frustrating mathematical computing language ever.

A program that I wrote in Maple in about 10 minutes took me a whole afternoon to figure out how to write in R. I became so frustrated that I was cursing and throwing things at my computer.

I'm taking a modeling class in which we are being forced to use R. I tried to turn in assignments written in Maple and Matlab, and the professor basically told me to take those assignments and shove them somewhere.

I've never taken a class in which you were forced to use a particular programming language unless that class was specifically about learning a particular programming language.

Have any of you programmed in R?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have tried a bit of an R lately.

It's too unhandy, takes a lot of a code to get short result. It's better for graphics, though, I have seen a 3-page code wrote out to draw an Ulam-like spiral.

Note that I didn't try R rigorously, just took a look at it. So, you might find it easier if you practice it.

My frustration mainly stems from being forced to use R. We never discussed how to program in R. We spent one class going over basic commands and that was it.

Last edited:
Random Variable said:
My frustration mainly stems from being forced to use R. We never discussed how to program in R. We spent one class going over basic commands, and that was it.

R is basically a programming language for statistical computation and graphical attacks. I am not sure what they tells you to do with R, since integral computations and analysis on R is no match with Maple.

For commands, you'll have to understand that by yourself. If you have a good knowledge on pseudocode construction and all the commanding ability of R, it would be easier to do that. You might occasionally want to see some worked out examples of coding in R to understand how it works. At least, that was how I learned to program in PARI/GP.

PS : Also, interaction with a decent computer programmer might be helpful.

Balarka

It's interesting you made this thread because I am also just starting to work with R. Haven't actually done anything with it yet but my next homework assignment is completely about R, so I'll get some practice in soon. Hope it's not as bad as you say! :p

Random Variable said:
I'm finding R to be the most frustrating mathematical computing language ever.

A program that I wrote in Maple in about 10 minutes took me a whole afternoon to figure out how to write in R. I became so frustrated that I was cursing and throwing things at my computer.

I'm taking a modeling class in which we are being forced to use R. I tried to turn in assignments written in Maple and Matlab, and the professor basically told me to take those assignments and shove them somewhere.

I've never taken a class in which you were forced to use a particular programming language unless that class was specifically about learning a particular programming language.

Have any of you programmed in R?

If I were teaching a course that required a computational component I would want to avoid the use of commercial software (even on an academic or student licence). So if I don't use a package myself I am not going to mark assignments handed in using it.

(Student licences on software are a marketing ploy to lock people into using such packages when they leave education when they will charge 10 times the price for something that is available for free - usually curtsy of the hacker, educational or research community)

Also R is highly thought of in the statistical computing community and will be a marketable skill when students graduate.

zzephod said:
If I were teaching a course that required a computational component I would want to avoid the use of commercial software (even on an academic or student licence). So if I don't use a package myself I am not going to mark assignments handed in using it.

(Student licences on software are a marketing ploy to lock people into using such packages when they leave education when they will charge 10 times the price for something that is available for free - usually curtsy of the hacker, educational or research community)

Also R is highly thought of in the statistical computing community and will be a marketable skill when students graduate.

I disagree. But since I'm sensing some hostility being directed towards me, I'm not going to offer a counterargument. I don't want it to blow up into something nasty.

Random Variable said:
I disagree. But since I'm sensing some hostility being directed towards me, I'm not going to offer a counterargument. I don't want it to blow up into something nasty.

There is no hostility being directed at you (if there is any it is directed at certain commercial purveyors of mathematical software who abuse their position in the market).

I also take the view that mathematical and scientific software should be free at the point of use..

Related to Experiencing Frustration with R Programming Language

1. What is the most common cause of frustration with R programming language?

The most common cause of frustration with R programming language is its steep learning curve. R is a complex language with a large number of functions and packages, making it difficult for beginners to grasp.

2. How can I overcome frustration when learning R programming language?

One way to overcome frustration when learning R programming language is to break down the learning process into smaller, manageable chunks. It is also helpful to practice regularly and seek out online resources and tutorials for additional support.

3. Are there any tips for improving my efficiency with R programming?

Yes, there are several tips for improving efficiency with R programming. These include using vectorized operations instead of loops, utilizing the piping operator (%>%) to chain functions, and familiarizing yourself with commonly used packages and functions.

4. How can I troubleshoot errors in my R code?

To troubleshoot errors in your R code, it is important to carefully read the error message and identify the line of code where the error occurred. It can also be helpful to use debugging tools such as the browser() function or the traceback() function to track the source of the error.

5. What should I do if I feel like giving up on learning R programming?

If you feel like giving up on learning R programming, it is important to remember that learning any new skill takes time and patience. It can be helpful to take breaks, seek support from online communities or tutors, and remind yourself of the potential benefits of learning R. Don't be afraid to ask for help when needed and keep practicing regularly.