Experience the Polling Line: Share Yours & Track Results

In summary: I voted for Gary Johnson.In summary, the polls are open, the lines are long, and some people are staying away because they don't like the choices. But overall it looks like it is going to be a fairly normal election.
Evo said:
Not following. Are you thinking this is a thread about politics? It's not; It's a game-watch party for the worlds' largest audience participation game show.

Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
I do hope the full statistics on that get published (if there is a reporting mechanism)...
I would like to see the raw data.

I voted by mail. Before enclosing the ballot in a sealed envelop, I took pictures to record my vote. As far as I know, the county reports voting at the precinct level, so I should be able to see if my vote got counted. I wrote in McMullin as a protest vote, although I expect Clinton to win if enough Sanders folks decided to vote for Clinton. I wrote in an independent for Senator rather than the democratic incumbent, and I voted for the republican candidate for governor.

I'm not bothering to follow the election overnight, since that will not change the outcome. What will be, will be.

russ_watters said:
Not following. Are you thinking this is a thread about politics? It's not; It's a game-watch party for the worlds' largest audience participation game show.
Election Day is certainly a current event, and widely covered in the media, besides being the biggest spectator sport today.

I heard reports that news organization in UK, Germany, France, and most of Europe are planning to following developments overnight. I suspect the world outside the US is holding its proverbial breath.

Likes russ_watters
Astronuc said:
Election Day is certainly a current event, and widely covered in the media.
It is even widely covered over here in Swedish media. At the moment, Swedish television is broadcasting about the election all night.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
I would like to see the raw data.

I voted by mail. Before enclosing the ballot in a sealed envelop, I took pictures to record my vote. As far as I know, the county reports voting at the precinct level, so I should be able to see if my vote got counted. I wrote in McMullin as a protest vote...
Is McMullin on the ballot in your state? I checked several major media outlets and none are reporting write-ins. That was my fear with my vote, which is why I was leaning Jonhson.

Current electoral vote count:
Trump 168
Clinton 122

Futures and Oil Plunge as Trump Leads in Electoral College; Clinton Takes Virginia and Colorado
https://finance.yahoo.com/m/5bb84695-14b6-3524-b700-00093468d429/ss_futures-and-oil-plunge-as.html

Somebody reported the Dow futures down 730 with Trumps lead. There's probably some buying opportunities there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else think Shep Smith looks like a Terminator?
shepard_smith.jpg

Scary!

Likes jim hardy
russ_watters said:
Is McMullin on the ballot in your state? I checked several major media outlets and none are reporting write-ins. That was my fear with my vote, which is why I was leaning Jonhson.
He was a write-in. Johnson and Stein were on the ballot, as were a number of other alternatives.

I considered Kasich, but McMullin is running as an independent.

russ_watters said:
LOL, I don't care, I'm allowing it. o0)

Likes Tsu
Student100 said:
If you're trump you're enjoying early results.

I'm not so sure that's true. You could be leading a state with 50% of the vote counted, and still lose it - it depends on which 50%. If you're Trump and squeaking ahead in Iowa, and all but Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City and Ames have been counted, that's not very good news. Right now, the only piece of solid good news for him would be Florida and Ohio.

Last edited:
kyphysics said:
How late do these polls run usually?
It probably varies among the states, but I seem to remember 8 pm (2000) is a common closing time. I don't know if that has changed over the years.

Astronuc said:
Somebody reported the Dow futures down 730 with Trumps lead. There's probably some buying opportunities there.

Well, the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

While I can see a general unhappiness with a Trump victory, I don't think it means people will buy less milk or gasoline. Exceptions would be industries that would expect better treatment under a President Clinton, such as the financial sector. But that shouldn't drag the whole market down.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm not so sure that's true. You could be leading a state with 50% of the vote counted, and still lose it - it depends on which 50%.
Pennsylvania is a good case study: look at the map and it's like 95% red except for a small handful of counties scattered throughout the state and a in the lower right corner that has half the state's population and is extremely heavily democratic.

So far though the election is looking a lot closer than predicted, which was eminently predictable.

Google's map has Trump with 232 electoral votes vs Clinton with 209. Trump needs 38 to get to 270. If he wins Arizona (11), Michigan (16) and Wisconsin (10), he'd have 37, then he would need one more state. I wonder if some of the red-leaning states will flip back to leaning blue.

It seems the battleground or swing states are trending toward Trump.

Astronuc said:
Election Day is certainly a current event, and widely covered in the media, besides being the biggest spectator sport today.

I heard reports that news organization in UK, Germany, France, and most of Europe are planning to following developments overnight. I suspect the world outside the US is holding its proverbial breath.
So later tonight, or tomorrow morning, will it end with a Gasp! or Sigh?

Astronuc said:
Google's map has Trump with 232 electoral votes vs Clinton with 209. Trump needs 38 to get to 270. If he wins Arizona (11), Michigan (16) and Wisconsin (10), he'd have 37, then he would need one more state. I wonder if some of the red-leaning states will flip back to leaning blue.

It seems the battleground or swing states are trending toward Trump.
I expected a swing toward Trump, but it is a lot more than anyone including me expected. Wow.

AMERICA. WHAT. HAVE. YOU. DONE.

Likes Evo
the right thing ?

Likes gfd43tg and Bystander
Astronuc said:

So later tonight, or tomorrow morning, will it be a Gasp! or Sigh.
russ_watters said:
I expected a swing toward Trump, but it is a lot more than anyone including me expected. Wow.
There are still states, particularly in the middle and west that only have 60 to 70% of precincts reporting, so some states could swing either way. But certainly, the national polls indicating Clinton leading seem a bit off. A number of sites have been predicting a Trump win, and that seems quite possible. If so, that is certainly a rebuke of Clinton.

Also, the Senate races in Alaska and Louisiana are interesting. Alaska could go independent, and Louisiana has a large number of candidates, republican, democratic and independent, which looks more like a primary. The run-off election will be December 10.

Likes russ_watters
The Senate race in my state of PA is currently differentiated by 6,000 votes out of 5.2 million...

...and CNN is showing Trump pulling ahead in PA. Amazing. I was certainly not expecting my state to actually swing. It hasn't gone Republican in a Presidential election in decades (1988). My facebook friends are going to be pissed at me...
[edit]
USA Today has switched PA from light blue to light red.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Senate races in Alaska and Louisiana are interesting.
... and, California? Have I seen correctly that a democrat is running against another democrat?

Google now has Trump at 244, needing only 26 electoral votes to achieve 270. He can do that with Wisconsin and Michigan, which are trending his way!

Pennsylvania with 20 electoral votes is also leaning toward Trump.

Very surprising to me (and other Swedes) over here...

Bystander said:
... and, California? Have I seen correctly that a democrat is running against another democrat?
That is correct. Kamala Harris and Loretta Sanchez are both democrats.

Astronuc said:
Kamala Harris and Loretta Sanchez are both democrats.
Okay. "Jungle rules" primaries work very weirdly.

DaveC426913 said:
AMERICA. WHAT. HAVE. YOU. DONE.
Tomorrow I will be shopping for my survival shelter supplies for WW3. :frown: We elected a reality TV show host for President as if there was no difference. Why not?

Likes phinds
:nb)

In about ten minutes I'm headed for my boat, with 8 years of emergency supplies.

Likes Evo
Stock market futures trading halted until tomorrow's market open due to hitting a -5% circuit breaker.

Bystander said:
Okay. "Jungle rules" primaries work very weirdly.
Similarly in Washington State, the top two winners of the primary are selected for the general election for Senate, Congress and various state positions, so it is also possible to have two republicans or two democrats competing in the general election.

I did not make a guess in the "Presidential election game!" thread, since I don't know very much about US politics. I have however followed US politics more closely the last week, reading news and watching rallies. I would never have guessed a Trump victory.

I'm watching ABC news and they are all acting so surprised. Yes, Trump is ahead further and in more places than I imagined, but I kept seeing all these Google News feeds about polls with HRC 3-12 points ahead. But the IBD poll, rated the most accurate in the last four POTUS elections had it close for a long time, with Trump a point or two ahead the past few days. Rasmussen was similar.

I think the media was believing their own press releases. I guess that shouldn't be surprising since people like George Stephanopoulos were in the Clinton White House.

Likes gfd43tg, Bystander, mheslep and 1 other person
Clinton crowd shocked and tense as Trump nabs swing states
https://www.yahoo.com/news/clinton-crowd-shocked-and-tense-as-trump-nabs-swing-states-042543888.html

It looks like the GOP will have at least 50 seats in the Senate. Alaska is up in the air.

In Louisiana, no candidate got 50% of the vote, so there will be a runoff on Dec 10. The top republican, John Kennedy, received 25% of the vote, and the top democrat, Foster Campbell, received 17%. The number of candidates (I counted 24) is astounding!

NTL2009 said:
I'm watching ABC news and they are all acting so surprised. Yes, Trump is ahead further and in more places than I imagined, but I kept seeing all these Google News feeds about polls with HRC 3-12 points ahead. But the IBD poll, rated the most accurate in the last four POTUS elections had it close for a long time, with Trump a point or two ahead the past few days. Rasmussen was similar.

I think the media was believing their own press releases. I guess that shouldn't be surprising since people like George Stephanopoulos were in the Clinton White House.
I've been wondering if the 'main stream' media poll in the urban/suburban areas, since that's easy to access, but seem more blue, while ignoring the more rural areas, which tend to be more GOP/independent, or otherwise red.

The American people have spoken.

Likes nsaspook, russ_watters and Bystander
DaveC426913 said:
In about ten minutes I'm headed for my boat, with 8 years of emergency supplies.
TAKE ME! I have skills!

Likes phinds, Tsu, DennisN and 1 other person