Expanding math space implies expanding space?

In summary, the conversation discussed how the minimal necessary math to describe the potential path of an electron expands over time, as well as the expansion of space necessary to describe its possible positions. The question of whether this implies an expansion of physical space and how it relates to the General Relativists' assumption of "initial conditions" versus a quantum explanation was also raised. The conversation also touched on the concept of potential and its relation to expansion, with the suggestion to read certain books to gain a better understanding. The conversation ended with a promise to explain GR and expansion using Lovelock's Theorem once the reader has a better grasp of the field theory book.
negativzero
The minimal necessary math to describe the potential path of an electron expands over time. Second by second, the space necessary to describe the possible positions of the electron expands.
Does that imply expansion of physical space? And does that shift the explanation of the expansion of space from the General Relativists assumption of "initial conditions" to a quantum explanation.
Please. I'm only lawyer with a smattering of math courses. Have mercy GR guys. For once. Just have mercy on me this time.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Help! Why doesn't potential equal expansion?

negativzero said:
The minimal necessary math to describe the potential path of an electron expands over time. Second by second, the space necessary to describe the possible positions of the electron expands.
I don’t think this is true, at least not for an electron in an energy eigenstate. That is the reason that energy eigenstates are probably the most commonly discussed states.

Likes bhobba
negativzero said:
Please. I'm only lawyer with a smattering of math courses. Have mercy GR guys. For once. Just have mercy on me this time.

I'm sincerely curious why the thought of needing mercy crossed your mind.

negativzero said:

That's all you need. Simply read the following in the sequence posted and much will be clear, and you can do a post to clarify any further queries:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465075681/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XC7F6QG/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0241293324/?tag=pfamazon01-20

To answer your query you are possibly thinking of Feynman's path integral approach. Its just a pictorial way of looking at what's called the path integral - which isn't really an integral in the usual sense - but that is just by the by for now - I can explain it exactly once you have read the above. Whats going on when not observed QM is silent about - there is no 'expansion' - going on - except regarding the spreading of wave-packets - but since what a state is, is hotly contested in various interpretations, that's not the best way of looking at that either - best to just spend a bit of time understanding the formalism. You are a Lawyer - you are a smart dude - you can do it. It will just take a bit pf time.

When you have finished the field theory book I can explain GR, and expansion, very easily using something called Lovelock's Theorem - but not now - you need a bit of background first

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes JMz

Related to Expanding math space implies expanding space?

1. How does expanding math space imply expanding space?

Expanding math space refers to increasing the range or scope of mathematical concepts and equations. When we expand our understanding of math, we are also expanding our understanding of the world and the physical space around us. This is because math is often used to describe and explain various phenomena in the universe.

2. Is there evidence to support the idea that expanding math space leads to expanding space?

While there is no direct evidence to support this idea, there are many examples of how expanding our understanding of math has led to new discoveries and advancements in science and technology. For instance, the development of calculus allowed us to better understand motion and gravitational forces, which ultimately led to our understanding of the expanding universe.

3. Can expanding math space also lead to expanding our understanding of the universe?

Yes, expanding math space can lead to expanding our understanding of the universe. As we continue to develop new mathematical concepts and equations, we are able to better describe and explain the complex phenomena in the universe, such as black holes, dark matter, and the Big Bang.

4. What are some potential implications of expanding math space?

Expanding math space can have many potential implications. It can lead to new discoveries and advancements in science and technology, as well as new ways of understanding the world and the universe. It can also help us solve complex problems and make more accurate predictions about the future.

5. How can we expand math space?

We can expand math space by continuously exploring new mathematical concepts and equations, applying them to real-world problems, and pushing the boundaries of our current understanding. Collaboration and communication among mathematicians, scientists, and other experts can also help expand math space and lead to new discoveries and advancements.