Expand e^{\frac{z}{z-2}} Laurent Series: z=2

Using the series expansion of $e^z$, you can rearrange the series to fit this form. In summary, the Laurent series for $e^\frac{z}{z-2}$ about $z=2$ is given by $e\ \{ 1 + \frac{2}{z- 2} + \frac{4}{2\ (z-2)^{2}} + ... + \frac{2^{n}}{n!\ (z-2)^{n}} + ...\}\ (1)$. This can be rearranged to fit the form $\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty a_n (z-2)^n$, where $a_n$'s are independent
Stumped1
expand \(\displaystyle e^{\frac{z}{z-2}}\) in a Laurent series about \(\displaystyle z=2\)

I cannot start this.

my attempt so far has been

\(\displaystyle e^\frac{z}{z-2}=1 + \frac{z}{z-2} + \frac{z^2}{(z-2)^2 2!} + \frac{z^3}{(z-2)^3 3!}\)

This is unlike the other problems I have worked. Seems I need to manipulate this equation some way before plugging into \(\displaystyle e^z\)'s maclaurin series

Thanks for any help with this!

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have done seems fine...

Stumped said:
expand \(\displaystyle e^{\frac{z}{z-2}}\) in a Laurent series about \(\displaystyle z=2\)

I cannot start this.

my attempt so far has been

\(\displaystyle e^\frac{z}{z-2}=1 + \frac{z}{z-2} + \frac{z^2}{(z-2)^2 2!} + \frac{z^3}{(z-2)^3 3!}\)

This is unlike the other problems I have worked. Seems I need to manipulate this equation some way before plugging into \(\displaystyle e^z\)'s maclaurin series

Thanks for any help with this!

Because is $\displaystyle \frac{z}{z-2} = 1 + \frac{2}{z-2}$ You obtain...

$\displaystyle e^{\frac{z}{z-2}} =e\ \{ 1 + \frac{2}{z- 2} + \frac{4}{2\ (z-2)^{2}} + ... + \frac{2^{n}}{n!\ (z-2)^{n}} + ...\}\ (1)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Note that $f$ must be written in the form

\(\displaystyle \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty a_n (z-2)^n\)

where $a_n$'s are independent of $z$ as chisigma stated.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of a Laurent series. A Laurent series is a representation of a complex function as a power series, where the power can be both positive and negative. It is typically used to expand functions that have singularities, such as poles or branch points.

In this case, the function e^{\frac{z}{z-2}} has a singularity at z=2, so we can use a Laurent series to expand it about that point. The general form of a Laurent series is:

f(z) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} a_n (z-z_0)^n

Where z_0 is the center of the series and a_n are the coefficients.

To expand e^{\frac{z}{z-2}} about z=2, we can first rewrite the function as e^{z/(z-2)} = e^{1 + \frac{z-2}{z-2}} = e(e^1)^{\frac{z-2}{z-2}} = e(e^1)^{1 + \frac{z-3}{z-2}}. Now, we can use the Maclaurin series for e^x to expand e^{1 + \frac{z-3}{z-2}}:

e^{1 + \frac{z-3}{z-2}} = e\left(1 + \frac{1}{1!}(1 + \frac{z-3}{z-2}) + \frac{1}{2!}(1 + \frac{z-3}{z-2})^2 + \frac{1}{3!}(1 + \frac{z-3}{z-2})^3 + ...\right)

= e\left(1 + (1 + \frac{1}{1!})\frac{z-3}{z-2} + (1 + \frac{1}{1!} + \frac{1}{2!})\left(\frac{z-3}{z-2}\right)^2 + (1 + \frac{1}{1!} + \frac{1}{2!} + \frac{1}{3!})\left(\frac{z-3}{z-2}\right)^3 + ...\right)

= e\left(1 + \frac{z

Related to Expand e^{\frac{z}{z-2}} Laurent Series: z=2

What is the Laurent series of e^{\frac{z}{z-2}} at z=2?

The Laurent series of e^{\frac{z}{z-2}} at z=2 is the infinite sum of terms of the form a_n(z-2)^n, where a_n is the coefficient of the term and (z-2)^n is the power of the term. It can also be represented as the sum of a positive power series and a negative power series, where the positive power series has coefficients for powers of (z-2) greater than or equal to 0 and the negative power series has coefficients for powers of (z-2) less than 0.

What is the radius of convergence for the Laurent series of e^{\frac{z}{z-2}} at z=2?

The radius of convergence for the Laurent series of e^{\frac{z}{z-2}} at z=2 is 2, which means that the series will converge for all values of z within 2 units of the center point, z=2.

What are the first few terms in the Laurent series of e^{\frac{z}{z-2}} at z=2?

The first few terms in the Laurent series of e^{\frac{z}{z-2}} at z=2 are 1 + \frac{z}{2} + \frac{z^2}{8} + \frac{z^3}{48} + \frac{z^4}{384} + \cdots + \frac{z^n}{n!2^n} + \cdots .

How can the Laurent series of e^{\frac{z}{z-2}} at z=2 be used to calculate values of e^{\frac{z}{z-2}} at z=2 and nearby points?

The Laurent series of e^{\frac{z}{z-2}} at z=2 can be used to approximate values of e^{\frac{z}{z-2}} at z=2 and nearby points by plugging in values for z into the series. The more terms that are included in the series, the closer the approximation will be to the actual value. This method can be especially useful for calculating values of e^{\frac{z}{z-2}} at points outside of the radius of convergence.

What are some applications of Laurent series in mathematics and science?

Laurent series have many applications in mathematics and science, including in complex analysis, differential equations, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. They can be used to approximate functions, solve differential equations, and study the behavior of functions near singularities. They are also used in fields such as engineering, economics, and physics to model and analyze various systems and phenomena.