Find coefficiant of Laurent series, without using residue

In summary: I hope this helps clarify things for you. In summary, we can find the coefficient of $(z-z_0)^{-1}$ in the Laurent series of $f(z)$ by using the formula $a_{-1}=\frac{1}{(m-1)!}\frac{d^{m-1}}{dz^{m-1}}\left[(z-z_0)^mf(z)\right]_{z=z_0}$, where $m$ is the order of the pole at $z
ognik
Hi - I admit to struggling a little with my 1st exposure to complex analysis and Laurent series in particular, so thought I'd try some exercises; always seem to help my understanding.

A function f(z) expanded in Laurent series exhibits a pole of order m at z=z0. Show that the coefficient of $ (z-z_0)^{-1} , \: a_{-1} $ is given by $ {a}_{-1}=\frac{1}{(m-1)!} \frac{{d}^{m-1}}{{dz}^{m-1}}[(z-{z}_{o})^m f(z)]_{z={z}_{0}} $
with $ {a}_{-1} =[(z-{z}_{0)}f(z)]_{z={z}_{0}} $ when the pole is a simple pole (m=1)

Please check me below:
--------
I found the uniqueness of power series theorem, which states $ f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} {a}_{n}{x}_{n} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}{f}^{n}(0){x}^{n} $

So, by analytic continuation (?), $ f(z)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} {a}_{n}({z-{z}_{0}})^{n} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}{f}^{n}({z}_{0})({z-{z}_{0}})^{n} $

So far it looks like a good approach, but Laurent series should sum from $ -\infty $, I am only summing from 0?

Also the question confuses me, they seem to have 2 different formula for $ a_{-1} $ - I decided to assume that the 1st formula is for $ a_{-m} $ - does that sound right?

So if we are looking at one term at a time, we can drop the summation (I still would like to know about not starting from -infinity), and with n=m-1 we would have the answer - but why would n = m-1?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps the following solve your doubts.

1. Proposition. If $f$ is analytic on $r<\left|z-z_0\right|<R$ and $\displaystyle\sum_{-\infty}^{+\infty}a_n(z-z_0)^n$ is its Laurent series, then $z_0$ is a pole of order $m$ for $f$ iff $$\sum_{-\infty}^{+\infty}a_n(z-z_0)^n=\frac{a_{-m}}{(z-z_0)^m}+\cdots+\frac{a_{-1}}{z-z_0}+a_0+a_1(z-z_0)+\cdots \;\;(a_{-m}\ne 0).$$

Now, supposing $z_0$ is a pole of order $m$ for $f,$

2. Definition. $\text{Res }\left[f,z_0\right]=\dfrac{1}{2\pi i}\displaystyle\int_{\gamma}f(z)\;dz$ where $\gamma$ is any circle $\left|z-z_0\right|=\rho$ with $r<\rho<R.$

3. Proposition. $\text{Res }\left[f,z_0\right]=a_{-1}.$

4. Proposition. $$\text{Res }\left[f,z_0\right]=\frac{1}{(m-1)!} \lim_{z\to z_0}\frac{{d}^{m-1}}{{dz}^{m-1}}\left((z-{z}_{o})^m f(z)\right).$$

Last edited:

Hello! Your approach is on the right track, but there are a few things that need to be clarified.

First, the uniqueness of power series theorem only applies to functions that are analytic in a neighborhood of the point of expansion. In this case, we are dealing with Laurent series, which can have poles or other singularities. So the theorem does not directly apply here.

Second, the Laurent series expansion of $f(z)$ around $z_0$ is given by $f(z)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_n(z-z_0)^n$, where the coefficients $a_n$ are given by $a_n=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_{C}\frac{f(z)}{(z-z_0)^{n+1}}dz$, where $C$ is a simple closed curve around $z_0$. So in this case, we are not just summing from $0$, but from $-\infty$ to $\infty$.

Now, for the formula for $a_{-1}$, you are correct that there are two different formulas given in the question. The first one is a general formula for the coefficient of $(z-z_0)^{-m}$, while the second one is a special case when $m=1$, which corresponds to a simple pole. So the first formula is more general and can be used to find the coefficients for any pole of order $m$, while the second formula is specific to simple poles.

To see why $n=m-1$, we can look at the definition of the coefficient $a_n$ given above. When $n=m-1$, we have $a_{m-1}=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_{C}\frac{f(z)}{(z-z_0)^{m}}dz$. Now, using the Cauchy integral formula, we can write this as $a_{m-1}=\frac{1}{(m-1)!}\frac{d^{m-1}}{dz^{m-1}}\left[\frac{f(z)}{z-z_0}\right]_{z=z_0}$. And since we are only considering the coefficient of $(z-z_0)^{-1}$, the term inside the square brackets becomes $f(z_0)$, giving us the formula $a_{-1}=\frac

Related to Find coefficiant of Laurent series, without using residue

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a mathematical concept that represents a complex function as an infinite sum of powers of the variable, including negative powers. It is used to expand a function around a singular point, such as a pole or branch point.

2. Why is it important to find the coefficient of a Laurent series?

The coefficients of a Laurent series provide information about the behavior of a function near a singularity. They can be used to determine the type of singularity and the order of poles, which is important for understanding the overall behavior of the function.

3. Can the coefficient of a Laurent series be found without using residues?

Yes, it is possible to find the coefficients of a Laurent series without using residues. This can be done by using the Cauchy integral formula or by using the Taylor series expansion of the function.

4. What is the Cauchy integral formula?

The Cauchy integral formula is a mathematical formula used to evaluate complex integrals. It states that the integral of a function over a closed contour is equal to the sum of the function's residues at the interior points of the contour. This formula can be used to find the coefficients of a Laurent series.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the coefficients of a Laurent series?

Yes, in addition to the Cauchy integral formula, the Taylor series expansion of a function can also be used to find the coefficients of a Laurent series. This method involves finding the derivatives of the function at the singular point and using them to calculate the coefficients.