Existence of the derivative: a quick doubt

In summary: To show that ##f(x)=ax+b## is continuous, all you need to do is to show that ##\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}f(x)=f(1)##. This tells you that ##a+b=a+c##, hence ##b=c##. Do something similar for ##f(x)=ax^2+c## and ##f(x)=\frac{dx^2+1}{x}##.To show that the derivative from the left is equal to the derivative from the right at ##x=1##, you need to show that ##\lim_{x\rightarrow 1^-}\frac{ax+b}{x-1}=\lim_{x\rightarrow
Felafel

Homework Statement

Determine for which real values of a,b,c,d this function is differentiable ##\forall x \in \mathbb{R}##:
##f(x):=##

##ax+b ## ## for x\leq1##

##ax^2+c ## ## for 1\leq x \leq2##

##\frac{dx^2 +1}{x} ## ##for x>2.##

The Attempt at a Solution

I know a function is differentiable when the right and left derivatives exist and are equal.
So,

##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1^-} \frac{(ax+b)-(a+b)}{x-1}=\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1^+} \frac{(ax^2+c)-(a+c)}{x-1}##

##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1^-} \frac{a(x-1)}{x-1}=\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1^+}\frac{a(x^2-1)}{x-1}##

##a=2a\Rightarrow## a=0

##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 2^-} \frac{ax^2+c-(4a+c)}{x-2}=\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 2^+} \frac{\frac{dx^2+1}{x}-\frac{4d+1}{2}}{x-2}##

##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 2^-} \frac{a(x^2-4)}{x-2}=a(x+2)=4a=0##

##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 2^+} \frac{\frac{dx^2+1}{x}-\frac{4d+1}{2}}{x-2}=0##

##\frac{2dx^2+2-4dx-x}{2x}=0## = ##2dx^2-x(4d+1)+2=0##

##x_{1,2}=\frac{4d+1 \pm \sqrt{16d^2+1-8d}}{4d}##

And so, I'd say ##d=\frac{1}{4}##. Is it correct? Because I have an indeterminate form and I don't think I can use de l'Hospital, as I should know in advance that the limit exists in order to do that. But otherwise the function wouldn't be differentiable.
Also, is it correct to say that b and c can have any finite value, because they "disappear"?
Thank you in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Felafel said:

Homework Statement

Determine for which real values of a,b,c,d this function is differentiable ##\forall x \in \mathbb{R}##:

I know a function is differentiable when the right and left derivatives exist and are equal.
This is not necessarily true. For example, f(x) = 0, -∞ < x < 0; f(x) = 1, 0 ≤ x < ∞. The left and right derivatives are equal at x = 0, but the function's derivative doesn't exist there.

You're skipping over an important consideration - the function has to be continuous. In particular, your function needs to be continuous at x = 1 and x = 2.
Felafel said:
So,

##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1^-} \frac{(ax+b)-(a+b)}{x-1}=\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1^+} \frac{(ax^2+c)-(a+c)}{x-1}##

##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1^-} \frac{a(x-1)}{x-1}=\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1^+}\frac{a(x^2-1)}{x-1}##

##a=2a\Rightarrow## a=0

##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 2^-} \frac{ax^2+c-(4a+c)}{x-2}=\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 2^+} \frac{\frac{dx^2+1}{x}-\frac{4d+1}{2}}{x-2}##

##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 2^+} \frac{\frac{dx^2+1}{x}-\frac{4d+1}{2}}{x-2}=0##

And so, I'd say ##d=\frac{1}{4}##. Is it correct? Because I have an indeterminate form and I don't think I can use de l'Hospital, as I should know in advance that the limit exists in order to do that. But otherwise the function wouldn't be differentiable.
Also, is it correct to say that b and c can have any finite value, because they "disappear"?

Felafel said:

Homework Statement

So,

##a=2a\Rightarrow## a=0

That's needlessly complicated.

1) The function must be continuous.

2) The derivative from the left = the derivative from the right.

For the function to be continuous at x=1:
1) [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \lim_{x\to1^-\ }(ax+b)=\lim_{x\to1^+\ }(ax^2+c)[/itex]
i.e. [itex]\displaystyle \ \ a(1)+b = a(1)^2+c[/itex]​

2) For x < 1, f '(x) = a .

For 1 < x < 2, f '(x) = 2ax .
So you need a = 2a(1) .​

Do similar on either side of x = 2 .

oh, i thought that being the differentiability a stronger condition than the continuity proving the first one was enough!
thank you!

Mark44 said:
This is not necessarily true. For example, f(x) = 0, -∞ < x < 0; f(x) = 1, 0 ≤ x < ∞. The left and right derivatives are equal at x = 0, but the function's derivative doesn't exist there.

It's an issue of language, but in this case it's important. In my experience the terms left derivative and right derivative are used to indicate ##f'_-(a)=\lim_{x\rightarrow a^-}\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}## and ##f'_+(a)=\lim_{x\rightarrow a^+}\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}## respectively. So the left derivative, ##f'_-(0)## does not exist in your example.

Note that it is not necessarily the case that ##\lim_{x\rightarrow a^-}f'(x)=f'_-(a)## (and similarly for the right-hand limits). In fact, it is not even necessary for ##\lim_{x\rightarrow a^-}f'(x)## and ##\lim_{x\rightarrow a^+}f'(x)## to exist for ##f## do be differentiable at ##a## (look at ##f(x)=x^2\sin\frac{1}{x}## for ##x\neq 0## with ##f(0)=0##); i.e. derivatives are not necessarily continuous. However if all of the above limits exist and the function is differentiable, then they all must be equal; so derivatives are limited in the types of discontinuities that they can have.

Felafel said:
oh, i thought that being the differentiability a stronger condition than the continuity proving the first one was enough!
thank you!

You are correct. If you can show that your function is differentiable, then it must automatically be continuous. The point he was trying to make is that, while some of your parameters are determined by restrictions on the left and right derivatives, you need to use continuity to determine the others, and it may be a good idea to do the continuity business first. Also, it is possible to do this problem without computing any limits directly (that's the part where you made it more complicated than it need to be).

great! :) thanks for being so exhaustive

Felafel said:
great! :) thanks for being so exhaustive
So, what is your final answer?

... or did I overlook that in some post ?

I had:
In 1:
##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1^-} ax+b=a+b##
##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1^+}ax^2+c=a+c##
So b=c
##f_-'(1)=a## ##f_+'(1)=2a##
So a=0

In 2:

##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 2^-} ax^2+c=c##
##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 2^+}\frac{dx^2+1}{x}=\frac{4d+1}{2}##
So:
##b=c=\frac{4d+1}{2}##
##f_-'(2)=4a=0##; ##f_+'(2)=\frac{8d-4d-1}{4}##
So ##d=\frac{1}{4}## ##\Rightarrow## ##b=c=1##

Felafel said:
I had:
In 1:
##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1^-} ax+b=a+b##
##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1^+}ax^2+c=a+c##
So b=c
##f_-'(1)=a## ##f_+'(1)=2a##
So a=0

In 2:

##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 2^-} ax^2+c=c##
##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 2^+}\frac{dx^2+1}{x}=\frac{4d+1}{2}##
So:
##b=c=\frac{4d+1}{2}##
##f_-'(2)=4a=0##; ##f_+'(2)=\frac{8d-4d-1}{4}##
So ##d=\frac{1}{4}## ##\Rightarrow## ##b=c=1##
Yes.

I wasn't sure that you found b & c .

Related to Existence of the derivative: a quick doubt

What is the definition of a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is defined as the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

How is the existence of a derivative determined?

The existence of a derivative at a point is determined by the limit of the difference quotient as the interval approaches 0. If the limit exists, then the derivative exists at that point.

What is the importance of the existence of a derivative?

The existence of a derivative is crucial in calculus as it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values. It also helps us to find the maximum and minimum values of a function and to solve optimization problems.

Can every function have a derivative?

No, not every function has a derivative. For a function to have a derivative at a point, it must be continuous at that point and have a well-defined slope at that point.

How is the existence of a derivative related to differentiability?

The existence of a derivative at a point is equivalent to the function being differentiable at that point. This means that the function is smooth and has a well-defined tangent line at that point.