Exercise on dual / second dual spaces (functional analysis)

In summary, the problem deals with a reflexive Banach space (X,\|\cdot\|) and a sequence of bounded linear operators \{T_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}} from X into X. The goal is to use the Uniform Boundedness Principle twice to show that \sup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}\|T_n'\|<\infty. This can be achieved by first applying Banach-Steinhaus Theorem to show that for any f\in X' and x\in X, the limit of T_n'(f)(x) exists and is finite. Then, by applying UBP on x and then on f, we can conclude that
TaPaKaH

Homework Statement

Let [itex](X,\|\cdot\|)[/itex] be a reflexive Banach space. Let [itex]\{T_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}[/itex] be a sequence of bounded linear operators from [itex]X[/itex] into [itex]X[/itex] such that [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}f(T_nx)[/itex] exists for all [itex]f\in X'[/itex] and [itex]x\in X[/itex].
Use the Uniform Boundedness Principle (twice) to show that [itex]\sup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}\|T_n'\|<\infty[/itex].

Homework Equations

For operators between normed spaces we have [itex]\|T'\|=\|T\|[/itex], but I'm not sure if this can help in this case.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am currently at loss how to deal with information on functions [itex]f[/itex] to apply UBP.
Any hints welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is [itex]T_n^\prime[/itex]??

It might be a good idea to write [itex]f(T_n x) = \widehat{T_n x}(f)[/itex], where [itex]\widehat{T_n x} \in X^{\prime\prime}[/itex]. Apply UBT on this.

[itex]T_n'[/itex] is the dual operator of operator [itex]T[/itex], i.e. [itex]T'\in B(X',X')[/itex] s.t. [itex]T'(f)(x)=f(Tx)[/itex] for [itex]x\in X[/itex] and [itex]f\in X'[/itex].

Do I get this right that you denote the dual operator with "hat" symbol?

Yes, I mean the dual operator.

Ok, so you need to prove [itex]\sup_n \|T_n^\prime\|<+\infty[/itex]. What does the UBP tell you?? Is it sufficient to prove something easier?

I came up with (what I think is) a proof in 3 steps using UBP only once.

1) Knowing that [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}f(T_nx)=\lim_{n\to\infty}T_n'(f)(x)[/itex] exists for all [itex]f\in X'[/itex] (is given), one can say that for any [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex]: [itex]\|T_n'(f)\|<\infty[/itex] hence [itex]\sup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}\|T_n'(f)\|<\infty[/itex] for all [itex]f\in X'[/itex].

2) Since [itex]T_n\in B(X,X)[/itex] then [itex]T_n'\in B(X',X')[/itex] for all [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex] (there is a Theorem I can refer to).

3) "2" allows to apply UBP to "1" and obtain [itex]\sup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}\|T_n'\|<\infty[/itex].

I'm not sure whether my argument in "1" is correct, can you please comment?

TaPaKaH said:
1) Knowing that [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}f(T_nx)=\lim_{n\to\infty}T_n'(f)(x)[/itex] exists for all [itex]f\in X'[/itex] (is given), one can say that for any [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex]: [itex]\|T_n'(f)\|<\infty[/itex]

OK, I see how you can conclude that for any n seperately (you don't even need the limit for that, you are now just saying that [itex]T_n^\prime(f)[/itex] is bounded), but

hence [itex]\sup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}\|T_n'(f)\|<\infty[/itex] for all [itex]f\in X'[/itex].

I don't see how you can conclude this. Right now you are making a statement for all n. Before, you have made the statement for particular n.

For example, why can't you have

[tex]\|T_n^\prime(f)\|=2^n<+\infty[/tex]

but then

[tex]\sup_n \|T_n^\prime(f)\|=+\infty[/tex]

So I don't see how you can infer your statement about the supremum from the previous. You should clarify. (you will need UBP here)

In 1) one can apply Banach-Steinhaus Theorem and get that [itex]T'(f):=\lim_{n\to\infty}T_n'(f)[/itex] is in [itex]B(X',X')[/itex] so [itex]\|T'(f)\|<\infty[/itex] for any [itex]f\in X'[/itex] since [itex]\|T'\|<\infty[/itex] and [itex]\|f\|<\infty[/itex].

So if for all [itex]f\in X'[/itex] we have [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\|T_n'(f)\|=\|T'(f)\|<\infty[/itex] then it implies that [itex]\sup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}\|T_n'(f)\|<\infty[/itex] for all [itex]f\in X'[/itex], no?

Last edited:
TaPaKaH said:
In 1) one can apply Banach-Steinhaus Theorem

What is the Banach-Steinhaus theorem to you?? Usually it is the same as the UBP, but you seem to imply that there is a difference.

and get that [itex]T'(f):=\lim_{n\to\infty}T_n'(f)[/itex]

It is not obvious to me that you can actually make that definition. All you know is that

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} T_n^\prime(f)(x)[/tex]

converges for all f and all x. Why does there exist an operator T such that

[tex]T^\prime (f)(x)=\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} T_n^\prime (f)(x)[/tex]

in the literature I'm using, first Theorem from here is called UBP and Corollary is called BST, excuse me for possible confusion

Now I am slightly confused. You suggested me to apply UBP to [itex]T_n'(f)(x)[/itex] but I can't see a way to do this to get [itex]\sup_n\|T_n'(f)\|<\infty[/itex].

All you have to show is that if f is fixed and x is fixed but arbitrary, then

[tex]\sup_n \|T_n^\prime (f)(x)\|<+\infty[/tex]

then UBP would imply

[tex]\sup_n \|T_n^\prime(f)\|<+\infty[/tex]

Do I now get the idea correctly?

1. For any [itex]f\in X'[/itex] and [itex]x\in X[/itex]: existence of [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}T_n'(f)(x)[/itex] implies existence of [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\|T_n'(f)(x)\|[/itex]. Every element of sequence is bounded, so [itex]\sup_n\|T_n'(f)(x)\|<\infty[/itex].

2. Applying UBP on x and then on f to [itex]\sup_n\|T_n'(f)(x)\|<\infty[/itex] we get [itex]\sup_n\|T_n'\|<\infty[/itex].

That seems right!

Related to Exercise on dual / second dual spaces (functional analysis)

1. What is a dual space in functional analysis?

A dual space in functional analysis is the set of all linear functionals on a given vector space. It is denoted by V* and is itself a vector space. The elements of the dual space are also known as functionals, as they map elements of the original vector space to scalars.

2. What is the relationship between a vector space and its dual space?

The elements of a dual space are linear functionals, which means they are mappings from the original vector space to its underlying field (such as real or complex numbers). The dual space is also a vector space, and its dimension is equal to the dimension of the original space. The relationship between a vector space and its dual space is important in understanding duality in functional analysis.

3. What is the purpose of studying dual spaces in functional analysis?

Studying dual spaces in functional analysis allows for a deeper understanding of the properties of the original vector space. It also helps in defining important concepts such as weak convergence, weak topology, and weak compactness. Dual spaces are particularly useful in applications such as optimization and variational analysis.

4. How is the dual space of a finite-dimensional vector space different from that of an infinite-dimensional vector space?

In finite-dimensional vector spaces, the dual space is isomorphic to the original space. This means that there exists a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the dual space and the original space. However, this is not always the case for infinite-dimensional vector spaces. In fact, the dual space of an infinite-dimensional vector space can have a different dimension or structure compared to the original space.

5. Can every vector space have a dual space?

No, not every vector space has a dual space. For a vector space to have a dual space, it must be a normed space, which means it must have a norm defined on it. In addition, the vector space must also be complete, meaning every Cauchy sequence in the space converges to a limit in the space. These conditions are not always satisfied for every vector space, so not all vector spaces have a dual space.