Ever feel like you dont know what you want out of life?

• Thread starter proton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the individual is struggling with determining their career path and whether or not to pursue advanced education, while also facing social difficulties. They are seeking advice and solutions for both of these issues.
proton
im confused with almost everything i want in my life right now, and I am already a junior in college, becoming a senior next year. i don't know whether i want to pursue math, physics, or engineering
i don't know how i should focus my time to improve academically and/or socially. if i choose to pursue a phd in pure math or theoretical physics, i have to focus much more on academics. if i decide to go into industry, i have to improve socially big time, since i lack social skills big time
i don't know what kind of friends i want. for now, the only things i talk with my "best" friends are classes and sports. i know that if i want to experience more fun in life, like meeting women, i need to get more hobbies and know more about stuff normal people talk about - but it seems to require too much work/time
heck, i think one of the reasons why i got into math/physics so much in the first place wasnt because i like the subjects so much as it was that i just wanted to get away from people due to bitter experiences, which I have gotten over most of them now

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like you have two problems:

1. You don't know what career you want/ whether you want to go to grad school, etc..
2. You have social problems and don't know how to interact with people.

Note that these are not distinct problems, in the sense that 2. is a problem regardless of your solution of 1. Furthermore, 1 is not an uncommon problem and it is not as worrying a problem as 2.

Solutions I would advise:
1. Talk to your professors, attend careers fairs, try and get advice on different careers or options from as many people as you possibly can.
2. There are a plethora of threads in GD discussing this: you should probably try and search for them, and look up the advice given there.

I understand that it can be overwhelming and confusing to figure out what you want out of life, especially when it comes to your academic and career path. It's normal to have doubts and uncertainties, and it's important to take the time to explore your interests and passions.

One approach you can take is to try out different activities and courses in math, physics, and engineering. This will not only help you gain a better understanding of these fields, but also allow you to see which one resonates with you the most. It's also important to remember that your interests may change over time, and that's okay. It's never too late to switch paths or explore new opportunities.

In terms of focusing your time, it's important to strike a balance between academics and social activities. Both are important for personal and professional growth. It may be helpful to prioritize your academic goals and set aside time for social activities that align with your interests. As for improving socially, remember that it's a skill that can be learned and developed. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try new things.

When it comes to friendships, it's important to surround yourself with people who support and inspire you. It's okay to have different types of friends, and it's important to have a balance of both academic and non-academic discussions. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to fit a certain mold or have a specific type of friend. Just be yourself and the right people will come into your life.

Lastly, it's important to reflect on why you were drawn to math and physics in the first place. It's okay if your motivations have changed over time, but it's important to find joy and fulfillment in your chosen path. Remember to focus on your personal growth and happiness, and the rest will fall into place. Good luck on your journey.

Related to Ever feel like you dont know what you want out of life?

1. What causes someone to feel like they don't know what they want out of life?

There can be various reasons for this feeling, including lack of direction, uncertainty about the future, or feeling unfulfilled in current pursuits.

2. Is feeling lost or unsure about life common?

Yes, it is very common for individuals to experience this feeling at some point in their lives, especially during times of transition or major life changes.

3. How can I figure out what I want out of life?

While there is no one-size-fits-all answer, some strategies that may help include introspection, setting goals and priorities, trying new experiences, and seeking guidance from trusted others.

4. Is it possible to change what I want out of life?

Absolutely. Our wants and desires can change over time, and it is important to regularly reassess and adjust our goals and aspirations as we grow and evolve.

5. What are the potential consequences of not knowing what I want out of life?

Not having a clear sense of direction can lead to feelings of dissatisfaction, lack of motivation, and missed opportunities. It is important to actively work towards finding purpose and meaning in life.