Evaluating the Improper Integral

Thank you for your help!In summary, the integral $\int_2^{\infty} x^{-\frac{3}{2}}\,dx$ converges, as shown by evaluating the limit $\lim_{t\to\infty}\left[\int_2^t x^{-\frac{3}{2}}\,dx \right]$ and obtaining a finite result of $\sqrt{2}$.
shamieh
Hey, I need a little help. I'm a bit stuck.

Evaluate the Integral

\(\displaystyle \int ^{\infty}_2 \frac{1}{x^{1.5}}\)

Here is what I have:

\(\displaystyle \int ^{\infty}_2 = x^{-1.5} = \frac{1}{.5} x^{.5} |^\infty _2\)

Am i doing this correctly or no?

Physics news on Phys.org
shamieh said:
Hey, I need a little help. I'm a bit stuck.

Evaluate the Integral

Here is what I have:

\(\displaystyle \int ^{\infty}_2 = x^{-1.5} = \frac{1}{.5} x^{.5} |^\infty _2\)

Am i doing this correctly or no?

For starters, PLEASE use correct integral notation, it should be

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_2^{\infty}{\frac{1}{x^{1.5}}\,dx} \end{align*}$

I agree converting to a negative power is the way to perform the integration. So you need to evaluate

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \lim_{b \to \infty} \int_2^b{x^{-1.5}\,dx} \end{align*}$

So then:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{b\to\infty}\) \(\displaystyle \int ^{b}_2 = x^{-1.5} = \frac{1}{.5} x^{.5} |^b _2\)

\(\displaystyle = \lim_{b\to\infty}\) \(\displaystyle [\infty] - [\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}} ]\) is what I got. Do I need to put + C when evaluating improper integrals?

You are in essence taking the limit of a definite integral, so any constant of integration would be subtracted away anyway during the application of the FTOC, so there is no need to use a constant of integration. I would write:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_2^{\infty} x^{-\frac{3}{2}}\,dx= \lim_{t\to\infty}\left[\int_2^t x^{-\frac{3}{2}}\,dx \right]\)

Now to finish apply the FTOC and then compute the resulting limit. Be careful to correctly apply the power rule...

\(\displaystyle -2\sqrt{x} | ^t_2 = [\infty] - [2*\sqrt{2}] = -2\sqrt{2}\) ?

You are still not applying the power rule correctly:

\(\displaystyle \int x^r\,dx=\frac{x^{r+1}}{r+1}+C\) where \(\displaystyle r\ne-1\)

What is \(\displaystyle -\frac{3}{2}+1\) ?

\(\displaystyle -2x^{-1/2} |^t_2\)

\(\displaystyle = 0 - [-2 * \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}] = \frac{2}{\sqrt{2}} \)

wow that way is so much easier

Last edited:
Where did the zero come from?

Edited

Last edited:
I guess realizing that \(\displaystyle x^{1.5}\) is the same as \(\displaystyle x^{1/2}\) initially probabaly would have helped (Tauri)

shamieh said:
I guess realizing that \(\displaystyle x^{1.5}\) is the same as \(\displaystyle x^{1/2}\) initially probabaly would have helped (Tauri)

\(\displaystyle 1.5=\frac{3}{2}\) (Wink)

MarkFL said:
\(\displaystyle 1.5=\frac{3}{2}\) (Wink)

Oh why of course that's what I meant. I just like to keep you on your feet mark (Headbang)(Drunk)(Toivo)

\(\displaystyle \therefore\) this would diverge correct?

You tell me:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_2^{\infty} x^{-\frac{3}{2}}\,dx= \lim_{t\to\infty}\left[\int_2^t x^{-\frac{3}{2}}\,dx \right]=?\)

so we have \(\displaystyle lim_{t\to\infty} -\frac{2}{3} x^{-1/2} |^t_2\)

so: we end up with \(\displaystyle \infty\) divided by a number which = \(\displaystyle 0\). So it converges but then when we evaluate the other side we end up with \(\displaystyle 2/\sqrt{2}\) which is about \(\displaystyle 1.4\) something which is > 1 so it diverges, and if it diverges here the whole thing diverges right?

Last edited:
shamieh said:
so we have \(\displaystyle lim_{t\to\infty} -\frac{2}{3} x^{-1/2} |^t_2\)

so: we end up with \(\displaystyle \infty\) divided by a number which = \(\displaystyle 0\). So it converges but then when we evaluate the other side we end up with \(\displaystyle 2/\sqrt{2}\) which is about \(\displaystyle 1.4\) something which is > 1 so it diverges, and if it diverges here the whole thing diverges right?

How did you get -2/3?

Surely $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{x^{-\frac{3}{2} + 1}}{-\frac{3}{2} + 1} = \frac{x^{-\frac{1}{2}}}{-\frac{1}{2}} = -2x^{-\frac{1}{2}} \end{align*}$.

Now write it as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} -\frac{2}{\sqrt{x}} \end{align*}$. Evaluate this between 2 and t, and see what happens as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} t \to \infty \end{align*}$.

Prove It said:
How did you get -2/3?

Surely $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{x^{-\frac{3}{2} + 1}}{-\frac{3}{2} + 1} = \frac{x^{-\frac{1}{2}}}{-\frac{1}{2}} = -2x^{-\frac{1}{2}} \end{align*}$.

Now write it as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} -\frac{2}{\sqrt{x}} \end{align*}$. Evaluate this between 2 and t, and see what happens as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} t \to \infty \end{align*}$.

Wow I've screwed up this problem lol.. What I meant to say was:

so we have \(\displaystyle \lim_{t\to\infty} -2x^{-1/2} |^t_2\)

so: we end up with \(\displaystyle -2(\infty)^{-1/2}\) which would converge. But then when we evaluate the other side we end up with \(\displaystyle \frac{2}{\sqrt{2}}\) which is about 1.4 but we don't have to worry about that side so would the whole thing converge? See I am wondering if I should just consider t's exponential, which in this case would be \(\displaystyle < 1\) because \(\displaystyle -1/2 < 1\) thus: converge? OR should I actually re-write the problem as \(\displaystyle \frac{-2}{\sqrt{\infty}}\) which is just 0 thus t < 1 , thus converges

Again, thank you for bearing with me on this problem and this subject, I just want to make sure I completely understand what I am finding and what is going on, you guys have been great. Let me know if I am correct in my solution I have just provided.

Thanks

I would just write:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_2^{\infty} x^{-\frac{3}{2}}\,dx= \lim_{t\to\infty}\left[\int_2^t x^{-\frac{3}{2}}\,dx \right]=-2\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\left[x^{-\frac{1}{2}} \right]_2^t \right)=2\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{t}} \right)=2\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}-0 \right)=\sqrt{2}\)

Got it. Since this is a finite limit I know it converges. I see now.

Related to Evaluating the Improper Integral

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral that does not have both limits of integration being finite or does not exist. This can happen when the function being integrated has a vertical asymptote or the limits of integration extend to infinity.

2. How do you determine if an improper integral converges or diverges?

To determine if an improper integral converges or diverges, you can evaluate the integral by taking the limit as the upper limit of integration approaches a finite value or as both limits of integration approach infinity. If the limit exists and is a finite value, then the integral converges. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, then the integral diverges.

3. What is the difference between a type 1 and type 2 improper integral?

A type 1 improper integral has one or both limits of integration being infinite, while a type 2 improper integral has a function that is not defined at one or both limits of integration.

4. Can an improper integral have a finite value even if it diverges?

Yes, an improper integral can have a finite value even if it diverges. This can happen if the integral is oscillatory, meaning it alternates between positive and negative values as the limits of integration approach infinity.

5. How do you handle discontinuities in the integrand when evaluating an improper integral?

Discontinuities in the integrand can be handled by splitting the integral into smaller intervals where the function is continuous. Then, each interval can be evaluated separately and the results can be added together to get the overall value of the improper integral.