Evaluating Surface Integral for Hyperboloid in Cylinder

In summary: For \displaystyle S= \int \int_R \sqrt(z_x^2+z_y^2+1) dA I calculate \displaystyle \sqrt(z_x^2+z_y^2+1)=\sqrt( \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{y-x^2}}+ \frac{1}{\sqrt{y-x^2}}+1)...?In summary, the conversation is about evaluating a surface integral involving a function and a given surface that lies inside a cylinder. The attempted solution involves projecting onto the xz-plane, setting up an integrand and using a substitution to simplify the calculation. Different approaches are discussed and compared using Wolfram Alpha.
bugatti79

Homework Statement

Evaluate the surface integral

Homework Equations

f(x,y,z)=y where sigma is part of the hyperboloid y=x^2+z^2 that lies inside cylinder x^2+z^2=4

The Attempt at a Solution

For [itex] \displaystyle S= \int \int_R \sqrt(z_x^2+z_y^2+1) dA[/itex]

I calculate [itex]\displaystyle \sqrt(z_x^2+z_y^2+1)=\sqrt( \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{y-x^2}}+ \frac{1}{\sqrt{y-x^2}}+1)[/itex]
I have tried simplifying this further but it still looks ugly...any suggestions on how to continue and evalute the surface integral?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the surface integral

Homework Equations

f(x,y,z)=y where sigma is part of the hyperboloid y=x^2+z^2 that lies inside cylinder x^2+z^2=4

The Attempt at a Solution

For [itex] \displaystyle S= \int \int_R \sqrt(z_x^2+z_y^2+1) dA[/itex]

I calculate [itex]\displaystyle \sqrt(z_x^2+z_y^2+1)=\sqrt( \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{y-x^2}}+ \frac{1}{\sqrt{y-x^2}}+1)[/itex]
I have tried simplifying this further but it still looks ugly...any suggestions on how to continue and evalute the surface integral?

Thanks

I assume you've projected on to the xz-plane, after all that would be the easier option.

It may be easier to stick with the explicit equation already given for y. So you attain the normal vector

[itex] n = \frac{(2x,-1,2z)}{\sqrt{4x^2 + 4z^2 + 1}} [/itex]

Projecting on to the xz-plane we get;

[itex] |n.j| = \frac{1}{\sqrt{4x^2 + 4z^2 + 1}} [/itex]

So

[itex] dS = \frac{dA_y}{|n.j|} = \sqrt{4x^2 + 4z^2 + 1} dA_y [/itex]

After that it would be ideal to convert to polar co-ordinates. You also seem to have left the original y out of the surface integral.

Silversonic said:
I assume you've projected on to the xz-plane, after all that would be the easier option.

It may be easier to stick with the explicit equation already given for y. So you attain the normal vector

[itex] n = \frac{(2x,-1,2z)}{\sqrt{4x^2 + 4z^2 + 1}} [/itex]

So

[itex] dS = \frac{dA_y}{|n.j|} = \sqrt{4x^2 + 4z^2 + 1} dA_y [/itex]

After that it would be ideal to convert to polar co-ordinates. You also seem to have left the original y out of the surface integral.

I was intending to project onto xy plane becasue we can get z as a function of x and y... How would one know whether to project onto the standard xy or in your case the xz plane...

Can you explain this

OK, it makes sense to project onto the xz plane

I set up the integrand to be

[itex] \displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{2} r sin \theta \sqrt(4r^2+1) r dr d \theta [/itex]...?

bugatti79 said:
OK, it makes sense to project onto the xz plane

I set up the integrand to be

[itex] \displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{2} r sin \theta \sqrt(4r^2+1) r dr d \theta [/itex]...?

Almost

[itex] y = x^2 + z^2 = r^2 [/itex]

So you get [itex] \displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{2} r^2 \times \sqrt(4r^2+1)dS [/itex]

Where dS is the surface of this circle, which is given by [itex] r dr d \theta [/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{2} r^2 \times \sqrt(4r^2+1) \times rdrd \theta [/itex]

You can use the substitution [itex] u = 4r^2 + 1 [/itex]

Wondered why this question seemed familiar, is it out of the James Stewart Calculus book?

Silversonic said:
Almost

[itex] y = x^2 + z^2 = r^2 [/itex]

So you get [itex] \displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{2} r^2 \times \sqrt(4r^2+1)dS [/itex]

Where dS is the surface of this circle, which is given by [itex] r dr d \theta [/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{2} r^2 \times \sqrt(4r^2+1) \times rdrd \theta [/itex]

You can use the substitution [itex] u = 4r^2 + 1 [/itex]

Wondered why this question seemed familiar, is it out of the James Stewart Calculus book?

Wolfram alpha seems to use u=r^2. Both give different answers.

My attempt for u=4^r2+1 is du=8rdr implies rdr =du/8 and r^2=(u-1)/4

The integrand becomes

[itex] \displaystyle \frac{1}{32} \int_0^2 u^{3/2} -u^{1/2} du[/itex]...?

bugatti79 said:
Wolfram alpha seems to use u=r^2. Both give different answers.

My attempt for u=4^r2+1 is du=8rdr implies rdr =du/8 and r^2=(u-1)/4

The integrand becomes

[itex] \displaystyle \frac{1}{32} \int_0^2 u^{3/2} -u^{1/2} du[/itex]...?

Did you change your limits?

Silversonic said:
Did you change your limits?

Forgot that. Thanks

Related to Evaluating Surface Integral for Hyperboloid in Cylinder

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the flux, or flow, of a vector field across a surface. It involves calculating the area of infinitesimally small sections of the surface and adding them together to find the total flux.

2. What is a hyperboloid?

A hyperboloid is a three-dimensional surface that can be described as a hyperbola rotated around its axis. It can either be a one-sheeted hyperboloid, which resembles a trumpet, or a two-sheeted hyperboloid, which resembles two connected bowls.

3. What is a cylinder?

A cylinder is a three-dimensional shape with two parallel circular bases connected by a curved surface. It can also be described as the surface generated by a straight line moving parallel to itself and intersecting a fixed curve.

4. How do you evaluate a surface integral for a hyperboloid in a cylinder?

To evaluate a surface integral for a hyperboloid in a cylinder, you first need to parameterize the surface using two variables (such as u and v). Then, you can use the formula for a surface integral to calculate the flux by integrating the dot product of the vector field and the surface's normal vector over the parameterized surface.

5. What are some real-world applications of evaluating surface integrals for hyperboloids in cylinders?

Surface integrals for hyperboloids in cylinders have many real-world applications, such as calculating the flow of heat or fluid through a curved surface, determining the surface area of a 3D object, and finding the electric flux through a charged curved surface. They are also used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D models of objects with curved surfaces.