Evaluating a Fourier Transform Integral

In summary: I'm very sorry. Your original solution was correct. I was careless and made a mistake.In summary, the problem involves evaluating the integral ∫[0,∞] e-ktw2 cos(wx) dw by determining ∂I/∂x and then integrating by parts. However, there may be a recursion issue with an extra integral that is unable to be evaluated after each integration by parts. Suggestions include using a substitution for cosine and completing the square in the exponent. The resulting differential equation is solved for the function I(x). The Mathematica Online Integrator provides a complicated solution for this integral.
wxstall
Evaluating a "Fourier Transform" Integral

Homework Statement

Evaluate

I = ∫[0,∞] e-ktw2 cos(wx) dw

in the following way: Determine ∂I/∂x, then integrate by parts.

Homework Equations

Possibly?
4b331f79eaadfba81f95d40a6e80b88a.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Since integral limits do not depend on x, the partial with respect to x should simply be:

I = ∫[0,∞] e-ktw2 cos(wx) (-w) dw

The integration by parts poses the main problem. I have done a change of variables allowing z = w2, although it seems I will have a recursion issue with an extra integral that is unable to be evaluated after each integration by parts.

For integration by parts, I previously let u = sin(x√z) and dv = e-ktzdz but this doesn't seem to lead anywhere good.

I considered using Euler's formula to replace the cosine but this seems to lead in the wrong direction also.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

I wish I had more time to help, but you can try doing the substitution of cosine as you suggested in 2). Maybe then try completing the square in the exponent?

Sorry if this isn't much help. t.

wxstall;4160782 The integration by parts poses the main problem. I have done a change of variables allowing z = w[SUP said:
2[/SUP], although it seems I will have a recursion issue with an extra integral that is unable to be evaluated after each integration by parts.
Thanks!

You should not get an endless recursion. If:

[tex]I(x)=\int_0^{\infty}e^{-ktw^2} \cos(wx)dw[/tex]
then:

[tex]\frac{dI}{dx}=-\int_0^{\infty} w e^{-ktw^2} sin(wx)dw[/tex]

now, letting [itex] u=\sin(wx)[/itex] and [itex]dv=we^{-ktw^2}[/itex] I get:

[tex]\frac{dI}{dx}=\frac{sin(wx)}{2kt}e^{-ktw^2}-\int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{2kt} w \cos(wx) e^{-ktw^2}[/tex]
or:

[tex]\frac{dI}{dx}=\left(\frac{e^{ktw^2}}{2kt}\right) \sin(wx)-\frac{w}{2kt} I[/tex]

so that just looks like:

[tex]\frac{dI}{dx}=a \sin(wx)-b I[/tex]

Now, I did this quick and may have some arithemetic errors but I believe that's the general idea. Need to solve the DE for I(x) but I'm not too clear about what to do about the constant of integration or really sure about the method but need to try and see what happens ok?

I have made it to:

∂I/∂x = -(e-ktw2/2kt) sin(wx) + (x/2kt)I

Solving for I gives:

I = (2kt/x) ∂I/∂x + -(e-ktw2/x) sin(wx)

Does this need to be solved further? I have done as the problem instructed, but is it acceptable to leave the expression in terms of ∂I/∂x?

Dang it. I messed up in my first post. Didn't apply the limits to the partial integration and some other things.

Ok, no, that's not good enough what you're doing. Not good at all. First, we need to get the correct DE, then we have to ACTUALLY solve the DE for the funtion I(x).

I looked at it again and it seems we have to integrate by parts twice to cycle back to the cosine integral, THEN get the DE, then solve it.

I should have been more careful above. Sorry. Kinda' busy. Will try to look at it again. Really nice problem. :)

That's what I was wondering :)

So from here:

Evaluating the first term at the limits [0,∞] will give 0. For infinity, the negative exponential becomes 0, and at 0, sin(0)=0. So we should just be left with

∂I/∂x = (x/2kt)I

correct?

From there, simple separation of variables could be used.

Then again, maybe I'm going even further off the path...

wxstall said:
That's what I was wondering :)

So from here:

Evaluating the first term at the limits [0,∞] will give 0. For infinity, the negative exponential becomes 0, and at 0, sin(0)=0. So we should just be left with

∂I/∂x = (x/2kt)I

correct?

Yes, that's correct. Sorry if I caused problems. I went over it carefully and got the correct answer as well.

Related to Evaluating a Fourier Transform Integral

What is a Fourier Transform Integral?

A Fourier Transform Integral is a mathematical tool used to decompose a function into its frequency components. It converts a function from its original domain (usually time or space) to a representation in the frequency domain.

How do you evaluate a Fourier Transform Integral?

To evaluate a Fourier Transform Integral, you need to apply the appropriate integration rules and solve the integral. Depending on the function and its properties, this can be done analytically or numerically using computer software.

What is the significance of a Fourier Transform Integral?

The Fourier Transform Integral has many applications in science and engineering, particularly in signal processing. It allows us to analyze signals in terms of their frequency components, which can provide valuable information about the underlying system.

Can any function be transformed using a Fourier Transform Integral?

In theory, yes. However, in practice, some functions may be too complex to integrate or may not have a well-defined Fourier Transform. In these cases, we can use numerical methods or approximate the function using simpler functions.

Are there any limitations to using a Fourier Transform Integral?

One limitation of the Fourier Transform Integral is that it assumes the function is periodic, meaning it repeats itself infinitely. This may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, care must be taken when dealing with functions that are not square-integrable, as the integral may not converge.