Equlibrium in saturated I2 solution find Keq help please

• Thread starter Moose100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equlibrium
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a saturated solution of iodine in water and the equilibrium between I2, I-, and I3-. The problem also involves the addition of a KI solution and the calculation of the equilibrium constant for the reaction. The summary also highlights the confusion and questions the person has regarding the problem.
Moose100

Homework Statement

A saturated solution of iodine in water contains 0.330g of I2/L. More than this can dissolve in a KI solution because of the following equilibrium

I2(aq) + I- (aq) <=> I3-
A 0.1M KI solution actually dissolves 12.5g of iodine/L, mmost of which is converted to I3-. Assuming that the concentration of I2 in all saturated solutions is same, calculate the equilibrium constant for the above reaction.

This ICE table isn't like most I know. I know to convert to moles for I2 in water and also I2 in KI. But where do I put them it doesn't make sense to me after that point. I also know that the 12.5g will give the molarity of the I3- also and that I need to subtract that from the free I2 conc. I am still fuzzy on why please help. This is a tough problem.
[/B]

Homework Equations

Keq= [A]/[C][D]
Moles= Mass/Molar mass

The Attempt at a Solution

0.33 g I2* mol I2/254g= 1.3*10-3mol (this is the amount of I2 saturated in water.)

12.5g I2 * mol I2/254g = 0.0492 mol (this is the amount of I2 saturated in I- solution)

0.0492 is also the amount of I3-(aq) initially as problem states I2 all converts.

0.1 is the amount of I- (or KI).

I know that when I3- dissociates it"loses" the 1.3 *10-3 (at equilibrium we have 0.0479 I3-) but what I am confused about is why do we care if this is strictly the amount in water. I know all of this is occurring in water but is there an implication here that both water and I- act to be saturated? I'm feel like I am missing something here.

I also know that the equilibrium of I3-is the "change" amount of I-(aq). I know this sounds funny but why is that? I have a ICE table but it confuses me. Or do we need it at all? We are left with 0.0521M

Thanks and again like my other post sorry if I am being tedious. First time poster here!
grin.gif
So to summarize

Initial Amounts
I- 0.1M
I3- 0.0492M

Change Amounts
I2 0.0013M
I- 0.0479M
I-3 -0.0013M

Equilibrium amounts
I2 .0013M
I- 0.0521M
I3- 0.0479M[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Moose100 said:
calculate the equilibrium constant for the above reaction.

Moose100 said:
Keq= [A]/[C][D]
Can you write Keq in terms of concentrations of specific chemical species?

I wanted to start over because I am confused about how we get some and use these numbers. I know that KI is 0.1M and that I2 is 0.0013M But to get I3- we subtract the two? I don't really know why.

Moose100 said:
also "know" that I2 is 0.0013M but why use this at all?
It is implicit (no guarantees) in the problem statement that there is excess solid I2 maintaining the saturation of the solution, and that the properties of that solution are not changed significantly enough by the addition of KI to affect the solubility of I2 in the resulting solution.

Get you started now?

Saturated I2 in water, with xs solid I2; plus KI (very water soluble) in the same solution as a second solute. I2 in solution reacts with I- to form I3- as governed by the equilibrium constant, and dissolves whatever xs solid I2 is necessary to maintain the I2 concentration at 0.0013M.

ok thought so. So the full amount of I3 is offset by 0.0013 moles of I2? (we're in the wrong thread :D ) I.e. subtract 0.0013 from the amount of I3- . THAT equil amount is subtracted from 0.1M of I-(im confused as to why though.)

Moose100 said:
THAT equil amount is subtracted from 0.1M of I-(im confused as to why though.)
The quantity of I- ion available is fixed by the KI concentration specified, 0.1 M (?), and the I3- formation reaction is reducing it until equilibrium is reached.

So the thing being saturated I- is the thing that's also in excess. It's being used up by the amount of I3- being formed.

Moose100 said:
I wanted to start over because I am confused ... I don't really know why.

Answering question of #2 would start way out of confusion.

Moose100 said:
0.0492 is also the amount of I3-(aq) initially as problem states I2 all converts.

It doesn't.

It states
A saturated solution of iodine in water contains 0.330g of I2/L.

It also gives you this indication: Assuming that the concentration of I2 in all saturated solutions is same,

This is a tough problem.
Not when you use the information you are given.

Last edited:

Related to Equlibrium in saturated I2 solution find Keq help please

1. What is equilibrium in a saturated I2 solution?

Equilibrium in a saturated I2 solution refers to the point at which the rate of dissolution of solid iodine (I2) is equal to the rate of precipitation of solid iodine, resulting in a constant concentration of dissolved I2 in the solution.

2. How is equilibrium in a saturated I2 solution achieved?

Equilibrium in a saturated I2 solution is achieved when the solution contains the maximum amount of dissolved I2 that can be maintained at a given temperature and pressure. This can be achieved by adding excess solid I2 to the solution and stirring until no more solid can dissolve.

3. What is the importance of Keq in a saturated I2 solution?

Keq, or the equilibrium constant, is a measure of the relative amount of reactants and products present at equilibrium in a chemical reaction. In a saturated I2 solution, Keq helps to determine the concentration of dissolved I2 and the rate at which solid I2 will continue to dissolve or precipitate.

4. How is Keq calculated for a saturated I2 solution?

The equilibrium constant (Keq) for a saturated I2 solution can be calculated by dividing the concentration of dissolved I2 by the concentration of solid I2, both at equilibrium. This can be determined experimentally by measuring the amount of solid I2 added and the resulting concentration of dissolved I2 in the solution.

5. Can Keq be affected by changes in temperature or pressure?

Yes, changes in temperature or pressure can affect the value of Keq for a saturated I2 solution. An increase in temperature or pressure can increase the solubility of solid I2, resulting in a higher concentration of dissolved I2 and a larger Keq. On the other hand, a decrease in temperature or pressure can decrease the solubility of solid I2 and lead to a lower Keq.